At what BMI you should be doing what plan

Coley

Re-starter
OK...I have just clarified with Lisa at Cambridge. I have been merrily going along on 790 for a while now...after all the yellow book says you can stay on this step until you desired weight is reached. I took that to be my goal weight. How about no!!!! AARGH!!!!:eek::eek:

Turns out that you can only be on 790 if you are above BMI 25......so I should be on 1000.......big boo. I don't want to eat carbs....they make me sleepy and grumpy and take away my joyous ketosis.

Daft yellow book got me all confused. Hope I haven't done too much damage!!!
Have to go shopping now. Damn.

Last edited:
Yes you cannot do either SS or 790 if your BMI is 25 or under. I know a lot of people think it is just SS but the rule is no VLCD should be done if your BMI is under 25 and anything under 800 calories is classed as a VLCD.

M.

argh!! even more confusion.

Thought it was only if you were starting that you had to have a stone to lose on SS?? if you are in the middle of losing that stone you shouldn't have to change no?

This is what Lisa told me
"You BMI has to be 25 plus 1 Stone to do a VLCD as stipulated by the COMA report.

So if your lady has a BMI of 25 she would only be able to do the 1000kcal or above programmes until her target weigh is reached. She would move up the steps in the usual way when her weight is gradually reduces."

This is confusing.

Hmmm, I have a BMI of 26, and am on 790, is that ok, I am moving up to 1000 soon but not sure when!

This is very confusing!

My take on it is :-

Nobody should do a VLCD i.e. under 800 calories if they are less than a stone off a BMI of 25 (normally as Linda says around 27).

If they are more than a stone over a BMI of 25 then they can do a VLCD until there BMI reaches 25 when they then have to move up onto a LCD such as 1000.

M.

Thanks Mike, I get it now, I think!!

right.....so basically what Linda is saying is that you cannot start someone on on a VCLD if their BMI is at around 27 or so (that being around 1 stone above BMI 25) but people who have come down from say...BMI 30...can continue to do a VCLD until their BMI is 25? yes?

So this BMI 27 lark is about being able to start a VCLD?

Still don't see why it would make a blind bit of difference in that case when you start on SS though. Surely your fat is the same at bmi 26 even if you started at BMI 28 or 48!! Why can't people do SS for a few weeks then hop onto one of the other plans as long as they get onto 1000+ from BMI 25 downward?

I think its because the losses are so great at first that you may lose too much, too soon.

Thats my theory!!! Im sure Ill be corrected but never mind!

right.....so basically what Linda is saying is that you cannot start someone on on a VCLD if their BMI is at around 27 or so (that being around 1 stone above BMI 25) but people who have come down from say...BMI 30...can continue to do a VCLD until their BMI is 25? yes?

So this BMI 27 lark is about being able to start a VCLD?

Still don't see why it would make a blind bit of difference in that case when you start on SS though. Surely your fat is the same at bmi 26 even if you started at BMI 28 or 48!! Why can't people do SS for a few weeks then hop onto one of the other plans as long as they get onto 1000+ from BMI 25 downward?

I was thinking the very same thing Nicole :rolleyes: ...how come it's OK to STAY on SS or 790 when you're BMI 25+1stone (ie 27) but not to START ???

I'm confused...won't be long until I AM BMI 27 - so does that mean I have to stop SS ??:confused:

help.....

Debz
xx

If you start SS with a BMI of 27 or greater then you can SS to a BMI of 25.

If someone wants to lose weight and has a BMI of 27 or under they cannot SS but must go to 1000 +

I think this is medically sorted by the CD peeps to be the healthiest way to lose weight, the more we have the more we can lose.

If you start SS with a BMI of 27 or greater then you can SS to a BMI of 25.

If someone wants to lose weight and has a BMI of 27 or under they cannot SS but must go to 1000 +

I think this is medically sorted by the CD peeps to be the healthiest way to lose weight, the more we have the more we can lose.

Thanx Vicky :) I understand that explanation !! lol

...am I thick ??? :confused:

Those CDCs were just trying to bamboozle us !!!

love

Debz
xx

Not sure now if I am right lol!!!!

Think we need CD peeps to verify, CDC (Linda) is a source of info for me, and DQ and they say that as soon as you are a stone over a BMI of 25 (eg bmi of 27) you must work up, someone has asked them to clarify at the conference tomorrow so watch this space!

Back