atkins diet weight loss v's CD...

Hi guys,
this thread is very interesting. I am thinking of using the Low GL diet after Cd to keep in control. My CDC gave me a book to look through and it looks like a good way of sticking to a healthy diet without missing out on treats ~(let's face it, I am female and will possibly never go off chocolate...).
Atkins sounds good too but I don't like fat, red meat and all that stuff but chicken slices and mayo with salad sound divine to me...I've noticed that I have gone off cheese completely, don't even like my favourite anymore. All I can cope with is cottage cheese or low fat soft cheese....

I've still got some time to goal so I will consider all options but this threads gives food for thought ( pls excuse the pun..)

xxx

hey sky, dont have to follw the atkins to the t with all the fat.. i wouldnt do that myself anyway.. i will just be eating meat, fish eggs (the fatest thing) and cheese ofcourse :) and you can still have choclate atkin style, but some places have stopped selling it now...

Hi guys - have been reading this thread with interest. Wondered whether those of you who struggle with not beig able to eat anything might be interested in the W8 regular plan, the rapid plan is just 4 shakes/soups a day for 3 weeks then adding a meal as well for a week, but the regular plan allows you to add a meal everyday. Some of our members are following this plan and are losing just as much weight. Each day you are allowed 3oz Chicken, turkey, lean ham, white fish or salmon, tofu, quorn, an egg, 3 slices of back bacon, and then you choose unlimited quantities of certain low carb veggies such as lettuce, courgette, pakchoi, peppers, cucumber, celery, fennel, asparagus etc. You're also allowed half a pint of skimmed milk every day for teas and coffees - which is a godsend for me! Hate it black.

If you're really craving food it might help you - maybe check out the W8 forum for more info. I'm sure any of the regular plan guys would be happy to talk to you about it.

Also has anyone considered South Beach - it is effectively a low-fat Atkins, bit like a low GI/GL diet, which is the way. It has 3 phases a very strict low carb phase for 2 weeks to break the carb addiction - which we've already done by doing VLCDs, then Phase 2 introduces good carbs and good fats in moderation- nuts/seeds, avocado, beans and pulses, brown rice, low GI wholegrain bread, some fruits, red wine etc, then in phase three you add a little more of the good carbs a week at a time until your weight stabilises. I'm going to do this when I've lost 4 of the 5 stones I want to lose doing VLCD. My boyfriend has been eating this way for the last 5 weeks whilst I've been on W8, and has been drinking alcohol at the weekends, and he has lost over a stone!!!

I think South Beach/Low GI/GL gives you a few more options when going out and cooking.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on here about South Beach - wondered whether anyone else had any experience of it

Anyway - not trying to convert anyone or anything just wanted to give some more food for thought as it were!!!

Good luck with whatever plans you decide to follow

Carol x

good point carol.
i have heard about SB diet and agree it is worth considering, less fats and less restrictive! which is always good...
alot of us are considering ALL our options for the end of CD and it is brill when peeps inform/ advise of other diets that are out there.
i dont know much about low gi/gl but am keen to learn more.
initially i will def do atkins but this is not a long term measure, just a way to eat and keep weight off.
thanks again x

Hi guys!

Glad to have found this thread as I wanted to ask if anyone has done atkins after doing CD.

It has been in the back of my mind for a while now although I have to confess to being terrified that I will put back on the weight that I have lost.

- just a little aside, I wanted to start a new post - but the new post button has gone from my view.... is this a new feature of the new style minimins? Am i being totally thick as I now have no idea where to start a new thread! LOL

Anyway, back to atkins.... I am so desperate for food, I can feel an almost aggressive streak as I look at my family eating normally. I could especially punch my husbands lights out at he tells me how gorgeous his greek yoghurt with honey is!!!!! :D

Joking aside, it is driving me to distraction and yesterday i had chicken and green veg (tho more than the allowable 2 oz) and then had 200g of fresh cod last night. Today I had two boiled eggs.
I am desperate for food and it's taking over my life. CD is almost in the too difficult basket as far as I am concerned. (11 weeks in you would think I had got used to it now)

Is Atkins a good losing diet? I want it all thats the problem!!!! I want food and i want great weight losses - and I know that that is being greedy!!!!

Any help appreciated!

thanks

Mikki xxx

P.S. SORRY FOR JUMPING IN AND TAKING OVER THE THREAD!

hey mikki i know where your coming from hun..

atkins is a g ood diet you go into ketosis and can eat as much meat, fish, eggs and cheese as you want!! BUT then there is the fat!!

basiclly you eat lots of fat with the meat, full fat mayo, ful fat cheeses etc plus the eggs are fat!

If you get the book the new revelution its an orange book, it will explain it all in there..

I am thinking about going back on it.. but the low fat version...

best of luck with what ever you decide :)

Yes I lost on a different low carb diet, called "The New High Protein Diet" I consistently lost 3lbs a week on it. You are not allowed low fat anything, but to be honest low fat on the label just means they have replaced the fat with sugar.

Yes it is not a low fat diet, but you can control your fat intake on it especially meat related fat, in fact the diet I did encourages you to eat lean mean etc.

I fully intend to go back onto it when I am finished with CD....

hey mikki i know where your coming from hun..

atkins is a g ood diet you go into ketosis and can eat as much meat, fish, eggs and cheese as you want!! BUT then there is the fat!!

basiclly you eat lots of fat with the meat, full fat mayo, ful fat cheeses etc plus the eggs are fat!

If you get the book the new revelution its an orange book, it will explain it all in there..

I am thinking about going back on it.. but the low fat version...

best of luck with what ever you decide :)

Thanks for this. I have just had a mini-binge - I guess I knew that it was coming as I was feeling a bit 'aggressive' (I feel awful saying that) and I have just had a mini troughing session. Two penguins and a chocolate digestive plus a roast chicken dinner that belonged to someone else......
Sigh.... here I go again!!!
Are some people not designed for CD??
If so, I must be one of them.
To those folk who have religiously stuck to the diet, I SALUTE YOU! you are made of seriously strong stuff!

Mikki xxx

hey mikki

i def think CD is not for everyone

and yes Atkins is a wonderful way to eat and still lose or maintain weight.

BUT you need to be organised and prepared for everything, for example i always had boiled eggs and cooked chicken breasts in the fridge, i knew which veg i could eat, i had plenty of snacks available like babybels, cheese slices, pepperami, nuts etc...

if you are not prepared then it can become a real hassle. you will just grab something like a 'penguin' lol as its convenient.

if you go out for a meal check the menu and ask if they can adapt meals 'before' you go, i check menu online and if need be call them and ask if they can provide an atkins friendly meal.

so like everyone knows i will def be doing this plan once i finish CD ie get to goal hopefully, or if that fails 9,11 and bmi 25.
i just want to lose weight as fast as poss as the moment as i only have 8 weeks til my holiday and sooooo want to be 9,1 for it!!!!!!

but i will be following atkins (less alot of the fats) to maintain my loss.

carbs are the root of all evil in my eyes!!!!!!!

yes Atkins is a wonderful way to eat and still lose or maintain weight.

BUT you need to be organised and prepared for everything

if you are not prepared then it can become a real hassle. you will just grab something like a 'penguin' lol as its convenient.

Totally agree, preparation is key, to be honest I think preparation is the key to any diet, planning in advance is the sure fire way to keeping on track I find and it definitely is for high protein diets :)

Hi Kira, are you still about? Just wondered if you are doing the idiot-proof diet now and if so, how it's going. I've just lost over 6 stone with Lighterlife and will soon be at goal. I know that I'm a carb addict and need to stay away from them in future, and Neris & India's book struck a chord with me, so I thought I would try it to maintain the weight loss. Has anyone else done this?
Thanks,
TC

Hi Topcat yes I am still about. I am combining CD bars and tetra's with the Idiot Proof diet as I can no longer SS as my BMI is 21 now. However, shifting the last stone is taking longer than I would have liked. I have to have the CD bars/tetras as a crutch almost as they keep me focused and stop me bingeing. Also my CDC is fab and it is the short sessions with her that also help me. I do have some carbs now and again but predominantly doing the Idiot Proof diet (which is really Atkins made easy!) I think if I cut out carbs altogether I could shift the next stone but it is good to feel like not being on a diet all of the time so I guess I slower loss is fine. The combining of CD and IPD is helping me maintain in any event. Must update my signature.

Back