Atkins Diet

cah-ching

Gold Member
I lost 28Ibs in total on the Atkins diet. Then I followed it by eating sandiwches and coleslaw for dinner in the evenings. I was exercising a lot at the time and eventually went down to 17St 1Ib. So I love the Atkins for that. It wasn't as torturous nor as unimaginative as Cambridge. However I am not a big meat eater so stopped and put the weight back on over a period over 3 years.
I think Atkins allows for versatility. Unfortunately Cambridge isn't the diet for someone who enjoys tastes and textures of food. However both produce results and the latter ensures all vitamins and minerals for the day are taken in my the body.

2p.....

Hi Cah-Ching, I really agree with what you are saying there. All these diets work, it is a question of finding the right one for the individual, something that suits lifestyle and preferences.

I've never done Atkins, I don't do well with too much meat (slight IBS) but I am trying to follow a low carb stabilisation and maintenance. I'm still not fully into it, lack of control over Christmas and other events led me to put back on 8lbs, 2 of which I have now lost again. I'm going to carry on with this diet, it uses a lot of low fat yogurt and eggs which I am happy with, also has a compulsory bran pancake that I'm finding good, and hopefully I can report on how it has worked when I have been going a few weeks.

I have a slight worry on all large loss diets, they can get you into a mindset that thinks putting a stone back on is not too bad, because it is only one months weight loss. Also the body does adjust to a lower intake and weight gain is very easy.

Hi, Cah-Ching.

I laughed at your use of the word 'torturous' - how very apt.

Some people say that they find VLCDs almost easy once they get into ketosis, and from then on they are on full speed ahead.

I find VLCD-ing difficult, particularly SS-ing, but of course I love the fast weight loss.

I tried Atkins only to find that for vegetarians it is no picnic. You soon get tired of eggs and cheese - CALORIES, your mind screams at you - and nuts (even more calories... lol). I know they say calories don't 'count' on Atkins, but they must to a degree.

I often felt sick cos of the limited foods I could eat, and found the rate of weight loss much lower than meat-eaters seemed to enjoy. So I decided to give CD a go.

When I can't afford CD I basically low carb and calorie count at the same time. With a bit of exercise you can get very good results, and of course you also get the benefit of ketosis.

ps

I did slot in quorn products but they need a lot of seasoning and are not madly satisfying, appetite-wise.

Hi, I did Atkins a few years ago and it stopped my escalating weight which was a relief. I did CD last year and lost 50lbs. Am now losing some post hols weight. I was doing SS but found it too hard and am now in ketosis and ongoing weight loss. It seems to be working but it was hard getting back into ketosis initially.

I cannot control bread or pasta once I start eating either I crave them past the point of rational thought and so prefer to keep away from them.

Hi, I did Atkins a few years ago and it stopped my escalating weight which was a relief. I did CD last year and lost 50lbs. Am now losing some post hols weight. I was doing SS but found it too hard and am now in ketosis and ongoing weight loss. It seems to be working but it was hard getting back into ketosis initially.

I cannot control bread or pasta once I start eating either I crave them past the point of rational thought and so prefer to keep away from them.

...Bread and pasta...

Yes, indeed.

I occasionally indulge in low carb bread and reduced carb pasta. If you shop around you can find tasty substitutes.

But in general I agree that low-carbing is best for large weight losses. It mostly takes the fearful edge off our hunger, at least most of the time.

Don't suppose we can expect better than that!

And I, too, long to be '10st-anything'. I'm down to 11st 10lb right now... my dream of being really slim again might just come true.

Good luck to all.

Back