Atkins flu - how long?

soozjb

Hi everyone, I was here before but doing Weight Watchers, which I got a bit tired of from all the counting, and I discovered I stopped losing on it too quickly even when I was sticking to plan, and I was still eating stuff that I dont think is good for me.

I am pretty sure I just dont tolerate carbs well anyway, and I have gotten to the point where I just want to feel well, I dont even care about the weight anymore, I worry about diabetes type 2, since I was borderline for the gestational diabetes and never really lost the weight I gained with pregnancy, and I need to get my carbs and sugars under better control, I see they are strongly linked.

Anyway I am just starting induction and I have some questions that I hope someone can answer...

Firstly, I have 2 kids and my husband is away a lot in the next weeks, when does the Atkins flu hit? Does everyone get it? How long does it take to get over it?

Secondly, I love eggs, but I if I eat them everyday I quickly hate them.... is there a good filling alternative for breakfasts on phase one? And is soy powder ok to use in phase one? I am thinking of making waffles as a breakfast food with soy flour?

Lastly, I just am not a huge meat fan, I cant eat big whacks of meat every day, are there also good vegetarian choices suitable for phase one?

I will keep looking through the recipes on the forum of course :)

Thats all I can think of at the moment! I'm sure I will be back with more questions.

Oh, anyone know if beetroot is allowed in stage one and if so what number of carbs I should count for those?

no longer than 24 hrs wake up like a new woman !!xx

well done on starting ....... hope you have a good week .........when is your weigh day ? x

I'm not sure I want to do a regular weigh in yet. I was doing that with weight watchers and the weeks I didnt lose anything I was really down about it. When I lost loads of weight after having my first child I never weight myself, I have no idea how much I lost but it must have been around 2 -3 stone. I was judging the loss only on my clothing fit, and I wasnt dieting as such, I was actually so incredibly stressed about something at the time that I stopped eating... Very unhealthy, and when I started eating again it was like a bird since I had lost my hunger. It probably took me about 4 months to lose most of that weight. But I am not so stressed now that I cant eat! I have to follow some kind of plan, and this is going to be my second plan to follow... I hope it works :( I have the idea that the only way I can actually lose weight is not to eat at all for weeks on end. When I was on WW I lost weight for about 4 weeks and it stopped, didnt matter what I did. The second time I did WW I only lost weight for 2 weeks before it stopped. I think my metablolism is too efficient and adapts instantly to whatever I eat as being its maintenance level and the loss stops...
I think I have lost my belief that I can actually succeed. So I think maybe I will try to focus on the health benefits and try not to think about the loss... maybe I will get a nice surprise :)
Does everyone do a weekly weigh in? I was thinking of doing a monthly one, but then if I found I'd gone a whole month without losing I would totally give up I think...

Monthly would be fine. Some people don't weigh in at all, they just go by how their clothes are fitting or measure themselves.
On the diabetes front, I am a diabetic and doing this so it does work. I know a lot of type 2's that swear by low carb plans as it keeps them off insulin for years and keeps their blood glucose numbers down. Do let your doctor monitor your blood sugar though.
Good luck and stick with us so we see how you are doing.

Last edited:
Thanks Leanne :) Glad to know that this does work. And I will try to keep my focus on the health benefits it will bring me by losing the carbs, and not focus on the weight I lose (or dont lose). I guess I need to trust myself more to stick with it this time after failing to stick with WW a second time round.

I will keep coming back here regularly :)

Thanks Leanne :) Glad to know that this does work. And I will try to keep my focus on the health benefits it will bring me by losing the carbs, and not focus on the weight I lose (or dont lose). I guess I need to trust myself more to stick with it this time after failing to stick with WW a second time round.

I will keep coming back here regularly :)

Good! We'll be watching for you. :whip::giggle:

its what ever works for you about weighing ............ keep variety and keep reading lots ........ on atkins that is ! x

Hello and welcome - this is a great place to be if you want to get your carb and sugar cravings under control:). I always said - i could give everything up but bread and pasta - but that was rubbish as i cant survive being hungry and i like my wine.

After 3 months i dont really miss the carbs although i do have the odd moment usually when i'm serving DD pizza for tea! Otherwise I'm never hungry, eat fantastic food and enjoy my wine:)

Everyones different on the flu - not everyone gets it. I did have serious withdrawal symptoms day 3 and 4 not helped as id given up caffeine as well :eek: but perfectly manageable and once over it i had soooo much energy. If you take a look at a few peoples diaries you'll get a sense of the different journeys.

I would suggest that you do an initial weigh in and measure up - if only so you can look back in 6 months and be amazed. If you can avoid weighing in between even better:)

Good luck and feel free to ask questions

Oh yes - for breakfast see mims sticky or search as there was a recent thread about this:)

I never had any side affects when starting low carbing. I always had a low sugar diet anyway beforehand which I think might be why. I think it all depends on how much of a withdrawal it is for your system as to how long you will feel bad

Hi Suzy and welcome, I had the flu for about 2 days, but then woke up feeling absolutely great :)

Hi Suzy,

I never had any side effects hun. None at all. I felt great from day one. I sleep much much better (although sometimes a little heavy which is unusual for me!) and Im not bloated or hungry!

Good luck on your journey

Jools xx

Hi everyone and thanks for the warm welcomes and advice. I am a tiny bit annoyed at myself for forgetting to weigh in this morning, it is good to know what the start point is at least, as someone pointed out already :) Oh well, I'll just do it tomorrow morning! And I found the MiMs recipies - heavenly! Thank you everyone for sharing those, looking forward to trying some out tomorrow!

One more question, I found Atkins bread in the supermarket (Atkins brand), can I eat that on the induction phase? Its small seedy rolls, I think of 2.1 carbs each?

People do eat the Atkins stuff during induction Suzy, but I'd steer clear of it myself

Jim said:
People do eat the Atkins stuff during induction Suzy, but I'd steer clear of it myself

Ok thanks, thought it might be too good to be true! I'll tough it out then too... I'm sure the MiMs will help!

One more question, I found Atkins bread in the supermarket (Atkins brand), can I eat that on the induction phase? Its small seedy rolls, I think of 2.1 carbs each?[/QUOTE]

what supermarket did you see that in pl thanks xx

One more question, I found Atkins bread in the supermarket (Atkins brand), can I eat that on the induction phase? Its small seedy rolls, I think of 2.1 carbs each?

what supermarket did you see that in pl thanks xx[/QUOTE]

Well I live in Holland.... and it was in the Albert Heijn, which surprised me because usually I cant find much of anything I need there :) I dont know where else you could find it where you live. It says on the packet that each roll is 6.4 net carbs, and they do have wheat in them, also soya. It only has an Atkins Netherlands mark on it. It also says only for phase 2,3, and 4, so I guess I will hang on to them for a while yet :) And maybe not eat them at all.... I wonder actually if the net carbs in those is any different from those of an ordinary (non-atkins) brown roll! Oh well..

Back