ATKINS QUESTIONS ANSWERED: read this first!

You have to do it on the computer version I think, in the goals section there.

Set your calories to whatever level you're comfy with, I'd recommend at least 1500 cals if you're doing induction. Other ideal Atkins ratios are

5% carbs
30% protein
65% fat

thanks moonlight.

am on day 2 and am averaging 2000 cals a day. is this to much? below is from MFP (ignore the sodium bit, lol). is this to much do you think?

Totals
Your Daily Goal2,000251441502,50024
Remaining -67 8 4 28 -2,940 13
CaloriesCarbsFatProteinSodiumSugar

I can't see what you've posted as I'm on my phone and tables just show up as gibberish I'm afraid. When you start out in induction you don't need to worry about calories - eat when hungry. Once you're firmly in ketosis your appetite should decrease and your calorie level should ho down fairly naturally. Long term I found between 1400 and 1700 was my natural comfort zone, but I certainly went over that some days.

Hi Moonlights,

Thanks for this brilliant thread. I have debating which way to shift my weight and I feel as I am a food lover, Atkins is probably the best way to go for me. I looked at all the vlcd and ketosis seems the most logical way to lose weight but I love food too much, so this is why I have decided on Atkins.

Forgive my rambling, I will now get to the point lol ! Which Atkins book/books do you recommend?

Thanks,

Tracy :)

Hi Tracy! All the Atkins books are fine but Atkins 72 or the one from the 90s are the ones the doctor himself had a hand in. Newer versions are commissioned by the Atkins company and push the bars and frankenfoods which Atkins would never have allowed - if you ignore that part though, except for being a bit more lax on certain vegetables, the actual diet advice is mostly the same.

India knights pig to twig book is a funny and easy read version of the same diet principles.

Whichever Atkins book you get, ignore any advice on subtracting fibre from your carb counts - its already done for us over here but they never anglicized this part of the book.

Have you thought of requesting this is made sticky rather than constantly having to bump it? Excellent post

People tend not to read the stickies section so I just end up having to post to direct them there instead!

Bump!

Fair enough! Was going to do Atkins while I am off Cambridge short term as know a few people who it has worked really well for. My grumpy gall bladder however had other ideas! Bah

Back