Atkins: The Diet I Never Thought I'd Try

I was just looking at the info on the Atkins web site. When I started I mostly paid attention to the Induction part and quickly skimmed over the rest. I didn't realize we're allowed things like seeds, nuts, peanut butter and almond or coconut flour even if we choose The Fast Track method after the initial two weeks. That really gives me something to look forward to! I know I'll have to be mindful I don't overdo it with that stuff, but I'm stupidly excited about being able to add a few things back in! My appetite is completely off today and I've only eaten about 600 calories so far. I don't feel ill or anything...just not hungry. Maybe I'll perk up later tonight. Looking at some of my bookmarked induction recipes for inspiration might help...my taste buds seem to be demanding something completely different from the norm today.

I look forward to seeing your recipes. Only on day 3 today but I feel I need a proper meal with a sauce? if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Linda's recipes are among my bookmarked collection, coffeelover! She has some great stuff there, doesn't she? :) I'm also finding recipes on various other blogs (usually by searching Google). The only thing is it's clear some people must be following the newest version of Atkins (which I'm not) so I do sometimes need to double check ingredients against The List to make sure I can have them. But even when I need to modify the recipes some they're still a great starting point.

I look forward to seeing your recipes. Only on day 3 today but I feel I need a proper meal with a sauce? if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

I haven't tried it yet but I've seen others mention alfredo sauce as a good option. If you like it, maybe it would be worthwhile to google for an induction-friendly alfredo sauce recipe! I imagine it would be tasty over steamed spinach or broccoli or, well...pretty much anything! :)

My go to is always tomato based sauces, which doesn't really fly during Induction. I bought the original Frank's Red Hot Sauce to try because I like strong flavours (I'm not sure if you have that in the UK). I've enjoyed it with broccoli and melted cheese, but it's not something I will be buying again. The taste doesn't quite do it for me but maybe one of the flavoured varieties would be better. I also read that in Canada, at least, some things that contain small amounts of carbs say 0 carb on the label. Again I don't know if that's also the case where you are, but it's something to be aware of, especially if you like lots of sauce with a meal!

203lbs this morning! I know I'd be wise not to get in the habit of weighing daily because that's sure to lead to disappointment at some point. But since I'm soooo close to getting into the 100s I just can't help myself! I'm hoping I'll see 199 on the scale by Tuesday!

At some point my weight loss is going to slow down. I know that. I've read about some people experiencing stalls in the third week of induction. It sounds like sometimes it's followed by a whoosh a while later but not always. I know everyone's body is different but I'm very curious about what to expect. Some people who weigh around what I do lose massive amounts of weight in a short time (50lbs in 4 months!) so I guess they must keep losing a lot of weight per week. I really hope I'll be one of those!! Although if I start to notice loose skin I think I'll slow the weight loss right down so it has a chance to catch up...loose skin is the thing that frightens me most about weight loss.

I'm concerned I'm getting too much iron. I know Dr. Atkins says to take a multivitamin that doesn't have iron, but stupidly, that didn't register. Mine does have iron. I'm grateful MFP tracks all of that so I can easily see the things I'm lacking and what I'm getting too much of. (As tedious as I've sometimes found it to enter in my food, I think it was worthwhile to do it, at least when I was starting out.) I'm wondering if that might be the reason why I'm turning my nose up at meat lately...maybe my body is trying to tell me something. I'm going to skip my multivitamin today and am going easy on the meat. I'm not sure I want to buy a different multivitamin because other ones I've taken in the past make me feel sick...not really feeling up to going through that kind of trial and error again!

Blech, acid reflux or heartburn or...something. I almost never experience it but have had it twice this week. Anyone else experience that during induction?

Morning:). I spent quite a long time on induction and then do the 5g add bit. Actually discovered my carb gram tolerance very low (yrs of carb addiction and body?) but i can tolerate some foods from higher up the ladder. I do think it's worth following the stages through to find your level for losing, level for maintaining and testing each food group

The key for me is if i up the carbs past 30 then i have to watch cals. Since i like eating a lot - rather keep the carbs down and stuff my face with yummy food including unrestriced cheese:)

Now well into year 3 and maintaining so key is to find own plan that becomes a lifestyle. Good luck! X

Congrats on your loss, Kat1e and thanks for sharing your tips! It's a shame your carb tolerance is so low but mmm, unrestricted cheese! :D

I hope so, coffeelover! For the first time since starting induction the scale didn't move this morning, but I wasn't surprised. I feel like I'm retaining water so hopefully I'll see a loss in a day or two. I've still got the acid reflux this morning even though I didn't eat anything unusual - or spicy - yesterday. I hope it goes away soon!

I'm struggling today. Nothing sounds appetizing. I looked through a whole bunch of inductions recipes I'd normally be eager to try and some of the photos made me feel ill! All that appeals is my old carby comfort food, but thankfully I'm not at all hungry so resisting the urge to cheat isn't as tough as usual. I forced myself to eat canned salmon with mayo and cheese and to drink a glass of almond milk but didn't enjoy it.

I'm sure I'll get past this soon - I guess I just need to vent! I'm still happy I'm doing Atkins and am thrilled about the weight I've dropped. Come to think of it, today is the first time in 13 days I've struggled which is quite remarkable.

Today is just a blip. You have coped, you have survived and you kicked it's ass. Well done.

On the Almond Milk front, I bought some to try and added it to a mug of coffee. It was sooooo sweet

Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm doing a bit better tonight after loading bell pepper slices up with cheese and bacon, microwaving them and topping them off with sour cream. I didn't feel like eating them but after tasting them changed my tune. :)

I've been using whipping cream in my tea and coffee lately. Before that I was putting in almond milk, sometimes with a spoonful of coconut oil mixed in. It was good! These days I'm just drinking the almond milk the way I would ordinary milk. I found an unsweetened vanilla flavour that only has 1 carb. So far I've limited myself to one glass per day but it hasn't stalled me at all. I'm so glad I tried it!

The almond milk I have is 3g per 100ml. The vanilla one does sound nice so will hunt here to see if I can find something simular. Typically british thing but I LOVE my tea and the soya milk isn't cutting it. Will try some whipping cream. :) Glad you are feeling more positive.

Cream works for me in coffee but never in tea. I ended up having it black but it was never the same. But it's not forever. It's for a weight loss journey and then you can make decisions about what you can add in. One might be a splash of milk in your tea.

Morning, just read about your heartburn. I know that dairy is alkaline so may counteract the acidic foods? Get some cream or cheese down you to settle things. It worked for me.

Thanks for the tip! I'm feeling much better now and stayed on track with my food choices today, so am looking forward to a better day tomorrow. :)

I avoided the scale this morning because I still feel bloated - but no more heartburn or acid reflux, thank goodness. I'm still sticking to the plan so I figure the weight will come off at some point. There's no use aggravating myself by weighing in when I know I won't like the number...that feels like a great way to discourage myself.

I'm not hungry at all and so far I've only had coffee with whipping cream. I'd planned to make a big Caesar salad today, which I love, but so far I'm not interested so I'm holding off. I think I'll try drinking some broth later too, because I read it helps with salt and potassium.

Oopsie muffins have me intrigued so I may try making a batch tonight. I love all the different varieties there are, and a lot of them seem to be induction-friendly!

Speaking of induction, today is exactly two weeks of induction for me. It's been so much easier than I expected! I thought it might be a struggle just to get through two weeks and there was no way I'd be able to stick with it longer, but that's not the case at all. I had no idea changing my diet would suppress my appetite and cravings so much. I think it's something you have to experience to believe! I'm committing to eating this way for the rest of May (though I may deviate from the plan on Mother's Day - haven't decided yet). In June I'll take a look at where I'm at and decide what comes next.

Today I wore a jacket I bought about a year ago. I couldn't pass it up because it was a great sale, but it was too tight to wear zipped up. It fits just right now - proof that this is working! :)

You have done so well. You are an inspiration. I can see you losing loads in may...will be watching!

Aww, thanks! :) I happen to think you're the inspiration with all your working out! That's something I need to do much more of. I don't feel like an inspiration at all...I've been overweight and trying to slim down since I was a kid and I've never managed to get anywhere close to goal. But I do feel like this time will be different just because Atkins is so different from anything else I've tried before. Here's hoping, anyway!

Back