Atkins: The Diet I Never Thought I'd Try

I love love love the idea of low carb but it never quite agreed with me. So I sort of know how you're feeling.

I think modifying it to suit - as you suggest, moving up a level, may be a good idea. It may allow you to exercise more which may be the boost you need.

I'm no low carb expert though, so maybe someone more competent will appear and offer pearls of wisdom???

What ever you do, your determination will see you succeed, I'm sure :)

Hello! I don't have much new to report.

I'm still at it, though I'm not nearly as obsessive as in the beginning. I haven't been counting calories or even carbs, but I've been choosing low carb foods to make sure I stay in ketosis. If I eat something higher carb for one meal, I try to have something very low carb at the next. It's hot here and I've really been enjoying smoothies as meals - almond milk and peanut butter ones, Da Vinci vanilla syrup and avocado ones, frozen cappuccino made with cream and Splenda...delicious!

It's been good not to be obsessing over food. In the beginning I was so scared of making a mistake that I went overboard! I'm much more relaxed about it lately and I can tell I'm still in ketosis. I will be paying close attention to the scale at my next weigh in to see if I need to scale back on the peanut butter or cream milk. If I don't get results I'll start tracking net carbs on MFP again.

As I've been feeling really good lately, I plan to stick with induction through June. :) For me, the best thing about this diet is not being ravenously hungry anymore. Overeating has always been a huge problem for me and I've never felt so in control of my appetite before! It's great. The rules are also slowly but surely becoming more intuitive, and my planned cheat day a while back reminded me that even if I do slip up, it isn't the end of the world. Here's hoping I can get into the 100s very soon!

My goal for next month is to be more active. I have been walking a bit lately but not nearly as often as I should. It would be good to up that, and also to use the weights and exercise ball I've been neglecting. Over the winter I did C25K and aside from some knee pain I enjoyed it. I'm not athletic by any stretch of the imagination but there was something very satisfying about seeing where I started out and how much my stamina and leg strength had improved by the end of the program. Stupidly, I stopped once I reached my goal - a short hiatus to give my knee a break turned into several months away from it. I think I'd like to pick it back up again.

Oh one last thing: I had a tiny little cheat and ate a single strawberry. I stopped at one so I'm not worried. But know how they say this way of eating will change your taste buds? They're not kidding! It was the most flavorful, sweetest strawberry I've ever eaten - I was stunned! I mentioned it to a family member who isn't on Atkins and she was surprised, so I'm pretty sure it was me and not the strawberry! :p

Last edited:
This afternoon I was making one of my Da Vinci vanilla syrup and avocado smoothies and was going about it quite absentmindedly. I keep my olive oil in the same cupboard as the syrup and - yep, you guessed it - poured a nice generous amount of olive oil into my smoothie! Yuck!!! I think the lesson here is to store one of the bottles in a different cupboard...or just to pay better attention. :p

This afternoon I was making one of my Da Vinci vanilla syrup and avocado smoothies and was going about it quite absentmindedly. I keep my olive oil in the same cupboard as the syrup and - yep, you guessed it - poured a nice generous amount of olive oil into my smoothie! Yuck!!! I think the lesson here is to store one of the bottles in a different cupboard...or just to pay better attention. :p

Ooooh that's not good :D Yes definitely keep them in separate cupboards :)

Haha I can't believe you put olive oil in your smoothie :p

I hope everyone is well! I've been feeling great, though I need to do a better job of remembering to take my vitamins and supplements. Now that I'm no longer tracking my food on MFP it's easy to forget. My appetite is still very much under control, although I notice some days certain things are really appealing (I binged on salad one night, LOL) and others I don't even think of food at all. Between the hot weather and being busy, I notice I've been missing a lot of meals lately. It's not something I'm doing on purpose but I find it kind of funny because before Atkins I'd never forget to eat! :p

My goal was to be under 200 by the end of May. I think I have a pretty good chance of meeting it. That being said, I'm not going to weigh in for a few more days as I don't want water weight from TOM to discourage me. A family member complimented me the other day and said I've slimmed down. Even though I haven't lost that much weight yet I guess it's coming off my worst problem areas first, which is nice! Even if I could just lose the muffin top, the flab on my upper arms and my double chin I'd be so happy! I would love to slim down some more before wedding season...even though I'm not IN any weddings, you just know there are going to be cameras everywhere and a ton of photos put up online afterward!

Glad you're feeling great! I always have to remind myself to take my vitamins. Wish I binged on salads!! haha! Hope you reach your goal tomorrow :)

Oooh it's so nice when people start to notice the difference :D Well done x

I just noticed tomorrow is the first of June. That means it's time for me to start my jogging again! I'm almost afraid to see how much my endurance has gone down after several months away from it...but at least I know from experience that I can build it back up fairly quickly. I'm looking forward to getting back at it. There's something nice about just being able to zone out to loud music. :)

Hope you're doing well x

Well, I weighed in this morning. I saw flashes of 198 and 199 depending on how I stood, haha. But ultimately the scale said 200.0lbs. Still though, I can hardly complain! I'm drinking big delicious peanut butter milkshakes almost daily, eating as much yummy salad as I want and have stopped tracking my carbs, opting to estimate instead. I've also been flirting with the next stage of Atkins - by my estimate I stay under or near 20g net carbs per day, but I have eaten a few strawberries here and there lately. And I'm still losing. I'm so pleased!

I took my measurements again as well. The last time I did was on May 8. I think it will be useful as time goes on to know where I started out, but in these early stages I don't put a lot of faith in the tape measure. I feel like I hold it tighter some days than others, or maybe measure a slightly different spot, so it may not be the most accurate thing ever. But that being said:

Arms: Down 1 inch since May 8

Waist: Down 0.5

Butt: Down 1 inch

Bust: Down 1 inch (not sure I like that loss! :p)

Ribcage: Down 1.5 (I think this is more a measure of back flab than anything! I've noticed some of my bras will soon be too loose.)

Thighs: No change

All in all I'm quite happy and I'm really, really looking forward to seeing a number in the 100s the next time I hop on the scale. I'd kind of given myself a pass to have a cheat day once a month, and I thought about doing one on June 1, but I was actually so content and satisfied with the way I was eating that I didn't want to cheat. :) As it stands now, I don't think I'll have a cheat day unless/until I hit another plateau. It seemed to shake things up nicely last time, but I will rely on it as a last resort.

My new goal is to lose 10lbs this month. Well, 10.1lbs, to be more specific. ;) Hopefully upping my exercise will help with that.

Great results, Canadian! Good luck with your new goal! I am sure you will achieve it easy! I am new here and just starting my new life today! Is Atkins diet really so good? I have not decided yet what to chose( Today was just the day of healthy food)) the first one for the long time((

Back