Atkins: The Diet I Never Thought I'd Try

That sounds delicious!

I wasn't able to stick with my liquids only diet. Maybe if I'd been busy running around all day it would have been okay because I would have been distracted from the hunger. But I was sitting at home trying to get some work done. I got to the point where I couldn't concentrate or even think clearly, so I gave in and ate. Disappointed with myself but maybe I can do the smoothie thing another time.

Maybe go the other way hun and go clean and green? This is where you just have protein with the teeniest bit of veg. Jim does it whenever he comes back from hols and wants to flush off any gains quickly - no mayo or cheese, just "meat and one veg" :)

That sounds delicious!

I wasn't able to stick with my liquids only diet. Maybe if I'd been busy running around all day it would have been okay because I would have been distracted from the hunger. But I was sitting at home trying to get some work done. I got to the point where I couldn't concentrate or even think clearly, so I gave in and ate. Disappointed with myself but maybe I can do the smoothie thing another time.
A Liquids only diet is so hard! Some people think it's the easy way out but its the hardest thing in the world not to eat isn't it! Hope you find something that suits you. xx

I keep thinking of you Sam, and your amazing willpower! I still like the idea of trying it myself but I think I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for it. And when I'm on the go I get less hungry than when I'm sitting at home thinking about my growling stomach and all the food that's just a few steps away...

Maybe go the other way hun and go clean and green? This is where you just have protein with the teeniest bit of veg. Jim does it whenever he comes back from hols and wants to flush off any gains quickly - no mayo or cheese, just "meat and one veg" :)

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good one! :)

Last edited:
I've felt so bored with my food lately despite the big huge list of Atkins and general low carb recipes I've collected. Today I picked up a few new things to try, including a couple packets of beef jerky and different types of smokeys. They're all 3g net carbs or less and 2g sugar or less - I even managed to find a couple that were 0. Hopefully that will help break the monotony a bit! Right now I've got bacon cooking and may fry up an egg or two to go with it, not sure yet.

This morning I weighed in at 199lbs, so no loss. But I'm not even disappointed...I'm just happy to still be on the right side of the twos! I also ate a very late and rather large dinner last night and usually I weigh in after I've been "good" so that might have made a slight difference. So I obviously won't be making it into the 180s this month, but hopefully in July!

Last edited:
You're doing great hun, really, and it's not unusual to have these wobbles - just make sure you get lots of leafy greens in - and try reading Katie's diary thread, she has some great recipes, plus Atkins really worked for her, she has lost 5 stone plus.

Thanks ladies, the encouragement really helps! Thank you for pointing me to Katie's diary, Susie, I will have to check it out. 5 stone is amazing!

Today I made myself a little feast, partly to use stuff in the fridge up and partly so I wouldn't open the fridge, stare blankly and then cheat horribly (as I've been known to do). It helps if I have a few things already prepared that are quick and easy to grab...a lot of the time when I eat bad stuff it isn't even about cravings as much as convenience.

I made:

- a bell pepper stuffed with cream cheese, cheddar and bacon
- a "potato" salad made from cauliflower with lots of olives and raw onion
- a broccoli salad with bacon bits and a delicious mayo, vinegar and Splenda dressing
- a huge bok choy salad with nuts and cheese on top

All that should last me a few meals, and this afternoon it was nice to be able to grab it when I suddenly realized I was famished. (I'm so absentminded and get so focused on whatever I'm doing that it happens often, and when I'm really hungry I make impulsive, bad decisions.)

At the end of a month I always like to kind of re-evaluate what I've been doing and think about what I could be doing better. June wasn't a very good month in terms of weight loss but it's no surprise. I followed the rules very loosely and halfheartedly, had a few big cheats and didn't exercise nearly enough.

On the bright side, I'm doing a good job drinking plenty of water most days and I'm trying to be better about taking my vitamins and supplements. I've also banished peanut butter and am no longer even keeping any in the house, so that should help! It's been a huge weakness for me this month.

In July, I want to:

- put myself on a more rigid schedule in terms of eating at regular times and working out consistently
- do at least 10 running and weights sessions (more would be better but I'm trying to be reasonable!)
- get in the habit of stretching every single morning because my flexibility sort of sucks :p
- start walking in the mornings, ideally 5 days a week
- stick with a low carb way of eating consistently (and possibly tracking in MFP)
- continue drinking plenty of water and taking my vitamins and supplements

I would really love to lose at least 10lbs in July. I know it's doable...I just have to put in the effort.

Last edited:
In the past week or so I've started having caffeine again. Prior to that I'd been drinking decaf coffee, but I don't feel that caffeine addiction was an issue for me in the first place. I don't drink coffee every day. In any event, I will probably stop with the coffee completely once it warms up again. I really only like hot drinks when it's cool outside, and right now it's rainy and miserable!

Lately I've really been missing baked goods. I'm not craving anything specific, but I just want that texture, I guess. Last night I made a flax meal muffin in a minute. It helped keep me from cheating but wasn't really what I wanted. I'm wondering if any of you bake with coconut or almond flour? Is it worth trying? I know it's quite pricy. So far I haven't even been able to find it here in town, but I expect the local health food store likely carries it...haven't looked there yet.

As an aside, I can't believe how much money I'm spending on groceries now that I'm buying so much more meat! Wow!

Last edited:
Wow you really sound in focus - and I love the sound of all those meals you organised - it sounds to me as if you get so focused on your jobs that you forget to eat, so it's great to have stuff prepared. Chicken wings/thighs etc are good for that too, and boiled eggs.

Re the baking, I did have some success with almond flour cookies (using bad, full of chemicals, sugar free maple syrup :eek:) and they were very nice. I'll see if i can find the recipe.

How's it going? x

Wow you really sound in focus - and I love the sound of all those meals you organised - it sounds to me as if you get so focused on your jobs that you forget to eat, so it's great to have stuff prepared. Chicken wings/thighs etc are good for that too, and boiled eggs.

Re the baking, I did have some success with almond flour cookies (using bad, full of chemicals, sugar free maple syrup :eek:) and they were very nice. I'll see if i can find the recipe.

I'm definitely easily distracted and when I realize I'm hungry I want food IMMEDIATELY and can't be bothered with cooking something healthy. I think a lack of planning is one of my biggest downfalls, because then I make awful choices. (Of course cravings are sometimes an issue too, but that's another matter.) Now that I've got a more flexible lifestyle and more free time I'm trying to develop some better habits and routines...some days are more successful than others.

I bake with almond flour all the time.You can use ground almonds for baking especially if you only going to do it now and again.:)

Thank you! I actually came across some blogs where people were making their own almond flour using a coffee grinder and wondered if it might be the way to go. I may have to try it sometime. :)

How's it going? x

Not bad...this is the longest I've stuck with any diet ever, so I guess that's an accomplishment. The cheat days help keep me sane, although the food I think I can't live without is never as satisfying as I think it will be. Maybe that's a sign that I'm starting to break some of my food addictions? Not sure.

I don't want to trigger anyone and I'm going to be mentioning foods that aren't low carb friendly, so anyone struggling with willpower today might want to stop reading here. :)

Today is a planned cheat day. It's funny but I always find the anticipation the hardest. By the time the actual cheat day rolls around I'm less desperate and tend not to do quite as much damage as I think I'm going to. It was the same way when I did calorie shifting...on the down days I was dying to eat all kinds of bad stuff, but on the up days I was usually less obsessed with the idea.

Honestly I've been able to find low carb substitutes for a lot of my favourite foods, so there isn't a lot I miss. Sometimes it isn't quite as good as the real thing, but it's a decent trade off. I eat a ton of cauliflower. I use it in the place of potatoes, as rice and sometimes even as a pizza crust. While spaghetti squash may not be the best low carb veggie ever, I don't even think of eating actual spaghetti anymore, so I'm going to look at that as a victory. I do miss ice cream sometimes but my Da Vinci syrup, whipping cream and avocado shakes help.

The one thing I really, really miss is nachos with plenty of salsa. I've found low carb substitute recipes online but they seem to use pork rinds and I can't find them here. I'm thinking maybe they aren't as common in Canada as in the United States, because the junk food aisles at the grocery stores in my town definitely don't have them. So anyway, that's the one thing I always want when I cheat.

So today I had a big bowl of corn flakes for breakfast. Lunch was total junk: a big Pepsi slushy and homemade nachos. I think that itch has been scratched for a long while. I will likely have some drinks but not until late tonight because I want to drive out to watch the fireworks first. I think I've had enough bad stuff today, so dinner will be a bunch of fruit. I've got frozen peaches and strawberries thawing at the moment which I'm quite looking forward to!

While I understand that fruits have a ton of sugar and often a lot of carbs, that's one part of this way of eating that bothers me a bit. Well, that and all the fat. I feel like fruit has so many health benefits and I've not eaten any since April aside from avocado, tomato, a tiny bit of lemon and the occasional berry. I'm glad I've started eating lots of salad greens again but I miss the variety - not just because of taste but also for the different nutrients.

After today, I'm going to focus on eating much more chicken, turkey and fish. I want to cut way back on beef and pork. I'm not quite sure what to do about fat. To be perfectly honest I've been considering making the switch over to South Beach or similar just because I question what I might be doing to my health (yes I've read the studies, but I've also read other studies that say how dangerous this diet is - sometimes I'm not sure what to think). That said, I feel good. Even though I haven't lost weight lately I find it easier not to gain, even in spite of some poor decisions and big cheats in June.

Given the way I've been eating, I'm wondering if my cholesterol is sky high. I've been careful about eggs - I usually only use one egg at a time and mix in liquid egg whites to make sure I'm not eating too many yolks. But the way I've been eating red meat and fat lately has me worried. I deliberately upped my fat intake because I saw some people say they didn't start to really lose weight until they were eating much more fat...but I'm still struggling with the idea that what I'm doing must be incredibly unhealthy.

Part of me wants to go in for my annual blood work now instead of waiting until the fall, which will be one year. But I think for the time being I will concentrate on making healthier low carb protein choices and limiting cheese and cream while getting fat from smarter sources. I'm hoping that if I do this properly I will have lost ~10lbs by the end of July, but if I don't then I may need to reevaluate what I'm doing and whether I want to continue with this way of eating or move onto something else.

In any event, I feel like I've learned a lot about carbs and sugar. No matter what I end up doing dietwise, I think I will always take parts of the Atkins way of eating with me. I had absolutely no concept of carbs before whereas now it's become a bit intuitive. I've also seen firsthand the role that sugar has in food cravings, which was a pretty powerful realization.

Your doing great and so focused! I eat carbs and fruit but like you more aware of good and bad carbs. Will be interesting to see what your blood work is. :)

I know exactly how you feel Canadian, and well done on your post, it was a really thoughtful and well expounded view on how your Atkins experience - it all helps newbies to decide if it's right for them or not.

I felt the same about fruit etc when I was doing it, and really missed it, so I think your idea to try South Beach or something like that is a good one. Or maybe just for calorie counting like me. After many different eating plans over the last four years, I am pretty convinced that CCing is the only way i will stay with it, because it doesn't exclude any foods that I suddenly get cravings for that make me fall off the wagon.

Whatever you decide, please keep posting here - it's great to hear your news xxx

Thank you!

I'm not sure I'm feeling ambitious enough to take on a new plan right now, and I don't feel ready to give up on low carb just yet. I have never had luck with calorie counting - it makes me obsess over food and feel constantly hungry and deprived. Interestingly, I naturally eat in the 1200 range (or below!) when I'm following the induction rules. I think incorporating more fat and protein in my diet is the key...maybe knowing that will make it easier to feel satisfied while counting calories, I don't know.

I expect I will make some sort of change at the end of July simply because I will have a lot of garden vegetables on hand around that time and want to be able to enjoy them. But I will think about that more closer to the time.

My cheat day is over so the alcohol has been put away, the fruits and sweets are back in the freezer and the cereal is out of sight so that with any luck it will stay out of mind! I'm starting my day with a big cup of coffee with cream (may as well use it up) - and also water because I got dehydrated yesterday. I haven't given much thought to what I'll eat today. All I know is I feel like something light - salad rather than bacon and eggs, for example. A trip to the store might be in order.

Oh I know I am! I just feel I've been overdoing it lately. I like A LOT of cream in my coffee, and let's just say I've been making good use of my Da Vinci syrups! (That reminds me, you'd asked about the white chocolate - I like it a lot! I also think the German chocolate cake flavour is delicious.)

Mmm... cream... :p

I got up early today intending to go for an early morning walk. But I felt all stuffed up and couldn't stop sneezing and coughing so went back to bed. A few days of taking my multivitamin faithfully and going to bed earlier should help...I've let myself get a bit run down lately, I think. I'll do something for exercise a bit later today - right now I'm trying to get some much-needed work done.

Today I feel like I just want off this diet. But I have a dress to fit into for a wedding that's coming up! It was a bit too small when I bought it but I tried it on the other day and it looks nice. That said, it would look even nicer if I could drop a few more pounds! So I really need to be better about the exercise and NOT CHEAT.

Breakfast today was coffee and a small bowl of mixed nuts with a couple sliced strawberries and a bit of Greek yogurt. I think I'll just pull something out of the freezer for a quick and easy lunch - maybe chicken. Hopefully a good meal will keep me from thinking naughty thoughts about the high carb foods I'd like to be eating right now! :)

Back