Attack phase over, looking for advice on sustaining long term

Becca29

Well my attack phase is just about over (seven days for me as Dukan so politely describes my weight as seriously obese), the headaches did go thanks for everyone who popped on to the other thread to cheer me on :)

In 1 week i've lost an enormous 12 lbs! Obviously I'm chufffed to bits with this and am treating myself to homemade spaghetti bolognaise minus the spaghetti :p

My only real concern now is keeping this up long term, I was really positive at the start but then I started doing some maths, I have just over 100 lbs to lose, going on an average loss of 2lbs a week I have 1 year ahead of me on cruise and then a year and 1/2 on consolodation.

Currently the prospect of not being able to eat pasta, cheese or sweetcorn - 3 of my favourite foods - is looking a bit daunting. I'm going to stick with Dukan as long as I possibly can but I know myself and have a sneaking suspicion that in a few weeks slimming world is going to be looking awfully tempting!

Becca

Becca, try not to look at this as a life sentence, take it one week at a time. I've been on dukan since last November, and I'm really not missing the foods I used to eat in my 'old life'. The numbers dropping on the scales are a huge motivation, and you will probably lose more than 2lb a week in the first couple of months.

Yes, there are foods that you are not permitted on cruise, but try and look at it that there are a massive amount of foods that you ARE allowed, and what's more you're allowed as much as you want of them. There are no limits on quantity on dukan, so in effect you're on a diet where you'll never be hungry! I feel lucky to have lost weight on a program that's been so easy, and hasn't left me feeling like i'm starving myself. I'm eating better than i have done in years, as you're forced to get back in the kitchen and start making meals from scratch which is far better for you than much of the pre made stuff you can buy in the supermarket.

I know now that I'm only a few pounds from conso, and yes i'm looking forward to the bread and cheese rations, but there are many things that i eat now that i would never have discovered without dukan, which will remain a part of my regular diet going forwards permanently. You will learn to make substitutions for those favourites (peeled strips of courgette is a good one in place of tagliatelle) and you'll be happy to eat them instead at least for now as they'll become part of your journey to the new slimmer you.

In a couple of months (which will fly past) you'll look at your ticker and marvel how quickly it's moved along. It seems like a daunting prospect now, but just keep going, and you'll get there, and more importantly maintain it once you have got to your goal.

Hi Becca...I'm a newbie too, and also live in Cornwall! Well done on your brilliant weight loss this week! I started the same day as you, and i've lost 5 pounds, it was really tough the first two days with a horrible headache which wouldn't go away but now i feel fine. I just hope i manage to stick to it when 'life' happens!! We'll see!

I went on the Dukan website and it said i should be at my goal by 7th Dec, which seems sooo far away, then factoring in the Consolidation it seems like a very long haul indeed but hopefully do-able and definitely worth it. :D

Im very much the same as you love my bread pasta and cheese but not once on this diet have I thought bout them I make the dukan bread and make delish sandwiches I use butternut squash to make oven chips like on slimming world so keep on its well worth it x

Don't panic and count how many weeks you think the diet will last - after a time if you stick to it, the diet becomes more of a way of eating rather than a diet - that is how it seems to me at the moment anyway.

Don't panic and count how many weeks you think the diet will last - after a time if you stick to it, the diet becomes more of a way of eating rather than a diet - that is how it seems to me at the moment anyway.

To back-up to what Mouse posted, being on the diet longer may actually help you in the long run. You'll receive a longer, very thorough retraining in how to eat more healthily in order to keep the weight off once you've lost it.

Back