Attention Crisp Addicts!

FreeBee

Have to share...just 'made' ( I use the term loosely as it was so easy) free SW crisps. Fab. Kills that craving! Slice a potato with veg peeler (paper thin), spray a dinner plate with frylight, place the slices on the plate, spray them again, microwave for about 4 mins (until golden) then take them out and sprinkle with salt. I'll say it again. F.A.B.

FreeBee said:
Have to share...just 'made' ( I use the term loosely as it was so easy) free SW crisps. Fab. Kills that craving! Slice a potato with veg peeler (paper thin), spray a dinner plate with frylight, place the slices on the plate, spray them again, microwave for about 4 mins (until golden) then take them out and sprinkle with salt. I'll say it again. F.A.B.

Oh gonna try these as soon as i've bought a veg peeler lol yum x

Yep they're free as they are just potato, frylight and salt but I suppose too many of them would be classed by SW as food abuse, and not too good for you but they definitely hit the spot. I can't see myself wasting syns on crisps again.

Yep they're free as they are just potato, frylight and salt but I suppose too many of them would be classed by SW as food abuse, and not too good for you but they definitely hit the spot. I can't see myself wasting syns on crisps again.

No they are NOT free. From the SW wesbite:

ARE COUSCOUS CAKE AND LASAGNE-SHEET DORITOS FREE?

You might be disappointed to hear that they’re not. Because changing the use of a food can make it easier to over-eat, to protect your weight loss they become Synned.When foods like pasta, rice and grains are used in their original form they’re low in energy density (calories), bulky, appetite-satisfying foods. Pasta, couscous and rice are usually the main ingredient in a meal packed with other Free Foods – giving it sufficient bulk to be satisfying as a meal in itself. However, when ground down, used as flour (like in couscous cake), seasoned crisps (like Doritos) or puréed (like smoothies) they’re often used as additions to a main meal… and on top of your day’s Syns. It is a very effective way of adding a lot of extra calories in a non-bulky way, and as such would then be counted as Syns.

Potatoes are no different to pasta rice etc, youre using it in a way it isn't intended and it's easy to over-eat so you should be synning it.
Its up to you whether you follow that rule, some people can manage on just a few so it wont significantly affect their weight loss, other people cant. (But at the end of the day if you CAN manage on just a few then there no reason not to syn them is there?)

Like I say its up to everyone individually whether they follow the rule, but thats what the rule is Im afraid.

As it would be on a red day, so 2.5 syns per 100g:

Potatoes, all varieties, flesh & skin, raw, 100g 2½

I am not a crisp addict but I have just tried these and they are delicious. So they may not be syn free, but they would make a fantastic healthier snack for yourself (synned) and for children (minus salt) not to mention cheaper than buying crisps and 100g is quite a lot for 2.5 syns, so thanks for sharing this anyway.

I found the potato peeler very fiddly but they came out perfectly with a V slicer and four minutes was just right in MW.

Last edited:
The whole SW crisp thing scares me! Syn free! Not syn free! Syn free! :/ Il just stick to fruit lol

It is confusing. I remember making the dorito style crisps many years ago (pre-menopause) and they did not affect my weight loss, but now post meno, I would have to be very careful indeed about any tweaks! :)

Flabulous said:
It is confusing. I remember making the dorito style crisps many years ago (pre-menopause) and they did not affect my weight loss, but now post meno, I would have to be very careful indeed about any tweaks! :)

They do sound lovely! I will maybe have them for a treat some weekend. Don't want to fall into any ruts with these things. Been reading about the cous cous cake too! :) All sounds lovely!

You can mix it up a bit too.
Sweet potato, parsnip, carrot etc. Most any "root veg" make nice crisps.
Not keen on swede but that's because I don't like swede anyway.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

How can you syn the carrot ones if you make "Carrot Crisps"??? I dont get this.....I can understand using couscous in a cake and lasagne sheet crisps have to by synned.....can somebody please explain?? Very confusing!!!

blonde_bimbo said:
How can you syn the carrot ones if you make "Carrot Crisps"??? I dont get this.....I can understand using couscous in a cake and lasagne sheet crisps have to by synned.....can somebody please explain?? Very confusing!!!

They have to be synned as you'd eat the same volume of food a lot quicker by changing its form. For example if you cooked 3 large potatoes and mashed them they would fill you considerably, however if you slice them and bake them into crisps, you'd nom them down in no time, and they wouldn't fill you at all. It comes down to the basic principles behind slimming world which is satiation-eating food which gives you the best value for calories

These crisps sound yummy, and personally as I know I could keep myself from eating tons of them, I will not be synning them :) Looking forward to making some when I get home from college tomorrow!

I made these to have with my lunch, an egg and cottage cheese salad. Two small potatoes which would have been baked, made into these chips. I don't see how this can be abuse, though I do accept that if you are making them for snacks in between meals they could be a problem.

They were v. nice dipped into extra low mayo.

I tried these on Friday as a weekend treat, and they didn't turn out so well... I'm not sure what I did wrong but I sprayed a plate with fry light, placed the potato slices on, sprayed and microwaved, but they still managed to stick on the plate :p The few I did get off were very yummy, and I'll try again, maybe using baking parchment to prevent sticking... :)

Laura, I have a spare microwave glass dish and did them on this. The outside ones cooked in around four mins, but the inner ones still needed a little more time. I did them in 30 second blasts till they were crispy. I don't normally eat crisps, but these are very nice, especially knowing they are not deep fried. :)

Back