aubergine

Joanne W

I have bought an aubergine from ASDA today because is was 50p:D. However, I have no idea what to do with it. Any ideas?

I use them to make a quron musaka, really tasty, and my boyfriend didn't even realise it was quorn, haven't got the recipe on my now ut I'msureif you put it into google you'll find one, I'd highly reccomend it x

There's a fab recipe using lamb mince in the Curry Feast cook book. Don't have mine to hand at the mo, though

I haven't bought aubergine in a while but I used to do a lasagne with a layer of lasagne sheets and then a layer of aubergine slices to reduced the calories (this was pre SW where lasagne sheets are free!). It was very tasty though.

I slice off the top and bottom, cut it in half. Scoop out the middle and put the shells in an oven sprayed with frylight until soft.
In the mean while, I fry onion, mushrooms, peppers and aubergine centres in frylight with crushed garlic and mixed herbs. Fry some mince and when all cooked, add passata. Cook for about 10 mins and then spoon into aubergine middle. Put back in oven with an allowance of cheese over the top...its delicious!

I do a lasagne as someone else mentioned, it's lovely just alternet layers of thge aubergine with the pasta - yum!

I use it to make a really good ratatouille style sauce.

I chop it up into chunks along with a red pepper, a courgette, one onion and some mushrooms put it all in a pan and tip in a jar of chopped tomatoes. Stir together. It will look like far too many vegetables for the sauce but trust me it works! Bring to a simmer and simmer for about 15 mins so that all the veg is tender. The juices from the veg mix with the chopped toms to make a yummy sauce.

This is nice mixed in with pasta and then cheese on top for a pasta bake or my all time fav would be with spaghetti and meatballs!
Yum!!

Here's what I do with aubergine. Sounds odd, but I love it. (Quantities are a bit imprecise, and you can tinker around with it as you wish.)

Peel and dice an aubergine, slice about three leeks, peel half a butternut squash and cut into chunks.

Put into a pan with some finely chopped ginger, some chilli if you like it, and plenty of seasoning.

Add 150 ml stock and simmer until veg are cooked.

Using the measure you used for the stock, add either rice or Ebly up to the 150ml mark, plus half the amount of red lentils.

Simmer until cooked. Add some more stock if it looks as if it is going to boil dry.

This makes enough for me for two huge meals - for the second helping I put it in a dish in the oven with a bit of cheese on top until it browns.

Well, as I said - I like it!!!!! ;)

I do a dip with it.

Peirce the skin with a fork and bake for about 40mins, until it deflates and looks smokey.

Blend with some garlic, lemon juice, a tsp cumin and a handful, about 1/2 a can, of beans (any sort, I like chickpeas but any will do). If you want it thicker add some more beans or to thin add a touch of water. It's great served with toasted pita bread, or I like it with slimming world chips.

It can be served hot or cold.

Back