aubergine's!

mod-karen79

rainbows holiday buddy :)
hi,

i'm stuck with 2 aubergines and don't know what else to do with them apart from roast/chargrill with other veg or make a quorn moussaka.

don't fancy making the moussaka as i have a ready meal one in the fridge and don't want to eat moussaka for the next 3 nights!

anyone got any ideas with what to do with them?

Found this recipe for aubergine and bean bake.. substitute the oil for fry light and cut down the quantity of cheese

ingredients

2 tbsp oil
250 g aubergine
447 g can baked beans
1 tbsp hot pepper sauce
227 g frozen sliced green beans
425 g can butter beans
250 g tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp chopped parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper
50 g Cheddar cheese, optional

method

1. Heat the oil in a 1.5 litre flameproof casserole.

2. Cut the aubergine into 1 cm cubes and fry for 6 to 8 minutes; remove.

3. Pour the baked beans and pepper sauce into the casserole, off the heat. Cover with the green beans, then the drained butter beans and spread the aubergine evenly on top.

4. Arrange the tomato in circles from the centre, leaving a border.

5. Sprinkle with the thyme, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.

6. Slice the cheese very thinly, then cut into triangles. Arrange on top, overlapping the tomato.

7. Cook in a preheated moderately hot oven, 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6, for 30 minutes.

8. Serve hot.

serving amount

serves: 4

And this one for Aubergine madras again use fry light .

750 g aubergines
4 tbsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
1 tsp ground fenugreek
1-3 tsp hot chilli powder
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 x 400 g tins chopped tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cube made up to 300 ml boiling water
natural yogurt, to serve

No problem.. Let me know if you enjoy. I always think there is something suspicious about aubergines. They look all purple and shiny and nice. Then they take a trip to the cooker and become black and slimy. ewwwww or maybe thats just my mothers cooking

I went to google and just typed in Aubergine recipes and the first site had loads including one for a dip. Good luck in finding a nice one x

hi hun

I love aubergines. I like to cut them in half scoop out most of the flesh leaving the skin like a case. I make a tomato sauce with onions, garlic, puree and herbs, mushrooms. Add anything you like to this, peppers etc. Chop aubergine and add to sauce. Stuff back in aubergine skin and bake in oven. You can top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs also but this adds to the calories :)

Ive never tried an aubergine! x

try them hun, they are lovely :)

Really daft question..... but what do they taste like? And no smart Alec put Aubergine! xxx

errrmmm - ot sure how to describe a taste hun, just try them!

hi hun

I love aubergines. I like to cut them in half scoop out most of the flesh leaving the skin like a case. I make a tomato sauce with onions, garlic, puree and herbs, mushrooms. Add anything you like to this, peppers etc. Chop aubergine and add to sauce. Stuff back in aubergine skin and bake in oven. You can top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs also but this adds to the calories :)

I have it like that, but I just cook all those ingredients with the aubergines (chopped) together and then I have it on rice. Had some tonight, lush!

I have it like that, but I just cook all those ingredients with the aubergines (chopped) together and then I have it on rice. Had some tonight, lush!

great minds hun!

I find you have to cook the devil out of them or they are indeed evil and bitter :eek:.
However they can be creamy and lovely if you slice them and then spray will Spray Light , then put them in a chargrill pan for ages on each side. I do that before I use them for a moussaka or layered with low fat halloumi grilled too (hexa?) as a salad.
Lx

Dunno about the refeeding but you can get Halloumi Light in Sainsburys. We have a big store so not sure if they are in all. I haven't bought it since starting SW so no ide how it is syns wise. It is certainly not fat free but is lower than normal halloumi. I love it cooked then dipped in thai chilli sauce but that is even more syns I guess :-(
Lx

OMG - I am so hungry now, just thinking about it :)

Back