Avoiding the glycogen bump

coley144

Creating my life
Hi

I'm moving up to 1000 cals as CD isn't making my body very happy. I want to avoid the glycogen bump if possible so I'm eating low-ish carb.

Typical days diet

Yoghurt, strawberries and raspberries
Apple
Soup (tomato with some adzuki beans), spoonful cottage cheese
Mandarin Orange
Chicken risotto (40g brown rice)
Grapes
Options hot choc

I'm avoiding potato although I might have some sweet potato.

Anyway how long would you think before my glycogen stores are filled up and I can step up the carbs?

Having typed this out I'm now thinking it might just be a finger in the air thing! However, any thoughts?

Thanks

I don't know for sure Coley, but I wouldn't have thought you can avoid it when introducing carbs, even your low GI ones?

I didn't mind it, helped me round out a bit and look better I think, well healthier anyway.....I'll be interested to see what the other's say tho'.

Arent there carbs in fruit???

Coley, when i worked my way up the steps first time around, i didn't gain... if that's what you mean? I just didn't lose as fast as I had before. So if you go slowly up the steps, a week or two on each one, you shouldn't see a 'bump' as in a gain. The steps are well worked out and the carbs are high GL which does help.

I hope this works well for you. You have done amazingly well hun, and the food plan looks great!

xxx

The first time I worked up the plans I followed each week for 2 weeks, a couple of times the first week I didn't lose anything, but then did the second week, once I had lost weight i moved on to the next step..... and I maintained for 4 months until Christmas happened...

Hi Katycakes..yes that's exactly what I mean. Sorry I obviously didn't explain myself properly. I want to carry on losing. I know it's going to be slower..I just don't want a massive bump upwards to then lose as well.

I'm intending on staying on 1000 til I hit my goal...it's just a case of how many carbs in the 1000.

Hi Katycakes..yes that's exactly what I mean. Sorry I obviously didn't explain myself properly. I want to carry on losing. I know it's going to be slower..I just don't want a massive bump upwards to then lose as well.

I'm intending on staying on 1000 til I hit my goal...it's just a case of how many carbs in the 1000.

I'm not sure I understand :confused: The 1000 wont give you a massive bumb...all the plans just give a gentle restoration of water/gly. So, it's still low carb at 1000.

What I don't understand is why you wouldn't want it. Well, I think I may understand but not sure :D

You want it when you get to goal? If the restoration of water and gly worries you, wouldn't it worry you at goal too?

I've really not been clear have I?

I want to restore my glycogen stores- I just don't want the bump in weight that comes from doing it fast. I want my weight to carry on going downwards.

Over Christmas I came off Cambridge for 3 days and put on 13 pounds! I really, REALLY don't want that to happen again.

I

Over Christmas I came off Cambridge for 3 days and put on 13 pounds! I really, REALLY don't want that to happen again.

It certainly shouldn't. Not if you follow it as laid out. Besides, that 13lbs wont be fat...but I can understand how that would worry you.

Ok thanks KD. My worry was that as I'm not doing any Cambridge shakes but just doing my own version of 1000 cals I might be too high in carbs.

Hi

Not sure this is really gonna help...but

I been 'off' SS+ for bout 3-4 weeks now doing a wooly version of 1000 and ive not gained a thing ..at all..well i did go up a pound but i think thats due to my period being 13 days late!!! lol

I really wouldnt worry about gaining the odd pound here or there..as whatever happens it will come off again anyway once your body has worked out what its doing x

Just one thing... on 1000 your cals are still very low, can you not manage a couple of packs at least to make sure you get your nutritional needs? 1000 cals without that could leave you lacking? Sorry to be negative when you are doing so well, just a bit worried?

xxx

I'm concerned that the soya in the packs is affecting my thyroid which is why I've come off it. My metabolism collapses on Cambridge...far more than average. In the last 4 weeks I've lost 5 pounds on Cambridge SS+ and my thyroid meds have had to go up. I'm hoping that if I come off it my thyroid will pick up again.

I do take a multi vitamin every day. I'll see what rate I lose at. I don't want to be malnourished but, thanks to my funky thyroid, I can't lose weight very easily. If it is fast enough ..or in truth if I am losing at all then I can step up a bit.

OK... that doesn't sound good hun. The multi-vit should help, just make sure it's a good one. Had no idea the packs were based on soya, I thought milk... scary stuff. Hope you are feeling better soon.

xxx

Hi there

If you following 1000 as set out you shouldn't see a glycogen gain as the plans are designed to reintroduce carbs slowly back into the diet. But I think what you are saying is that you aren't doing the Cambridge 1000 but your own version - in this case I think it is possible you might see a glycogen bump (even a small one) if your carbs may be higher. I guess the only way to be sure would be to work out the carbs in the cambridge plan against the carbs in yours?

x

Thanks Porgeous that's a good idea! I might give that a go later.

Since coming off CD I've dropped 2 pounds so something must be going right somewhere!

Back