Awesome Study on Effectiveness of VLCD

Flabuless Mama

Postpartum Mama trying to conceive
RawrGirl said:
Now that RawrGirl can post links, she wanted to share the study she found on VLCD that talks about incorporating strength training and proves that by doing so you can maintain muscle mass and thus not lower your metabolism and keep the weight off. This is what convinced Rawrgirl to try a VLCD after 2 years of Atkins and 1 year of WW with no results!

Effects of Resistance vs. Aerobic Training Combined With an 800 Calorie Liquid Diet on Lean Body Mass and Resting Metabolic Rate

:confused: you've posted as Rawrgirl tho! Do you have two accounts? :confused:

Sent from Jo's iPhone using MiniMins

RawrGirl said:
RawrGirl does not have 2 accounts...RawrGirl simply watches too much Hercule Poirot. :D

Oh right, I don't understand that reference but guess its something to do with the third person

I think she likes to speak in third person?

Yeah I figured that, it was the Hercule Poirot reference I didn't understand

Hercule Poirot: No! Lieutenant, you lie to Poirot. You say that you were in the barracks by midnight, but Poirot has proved this to be false.

Hercule Poirot: I haven't given up, Mrs. Folliat. I will not give up. Hercule Poirot will *never* give up.

Hercule Poirot: The question is, can Hercule Poirot possibly by wrong?

Hercule Poirot: So, we have played, and Hercule Poirot, he has won.

Hercule Poirot: It is the subject matter, George. It is distasteful. Poirot, he has seen much evil in this world. It should not be the subject of such mockery.

Hercule Poirot: If you are to be Hercule Poirot, you must think of everything.

Do you think Julian Michaels 30 day shred would suffice, or would you need to be doing serious weight training in a gym?

Do you think Julian Michaels 30 day shred would suffice, or would you need to be doing serious weight training in a gym?

RawrGirl has that, and thinks it would be more considered Cardio. RawrGirl does not work out at the gym, she works out at home with very little equipment (4 lb dumbells, 10 lb dumbells). This is approx the routine she designed for herself based on the study:

Week 1-5: 2 sets @ 8-12 reps / Week 6-8: 3 sets @ 8-12 reps / Week 9-12 4 sets @ 8-12 reps

UpperBody (you want to do a min of one exercise for each muscle group, but i like to work out my shoulders and chest cuz they are my weakest, so I do more than one)

Shoulder raises
Shoulder presses
Back (RawrGirl does an exercise for upper, mid, and lower. Google for example on how at home with dumbells for upper and mid. For lower, try the "superman", no weights needed)
Chest -- pushups
Chest Presses
Bicep -- Curls
Tricep -- Dips (use the coffee table)

LowerBody

Thighs -- Lunges
Bum -- Squats
Inner thigh -- google for at home exercise for this, it is too hard to explain here
Outer thigh/hip -- if you have angle weight, lay on your side, and lift top leg as high as you can, then slowly lower but don't let it touch other leg or floor. Repeat 12 times.
Calves -- put ball of feet on step, let the heel hang off. Go up on your the balls of your feet, then lower till heel hangs past the step. Repeat 12 times.

Cardio requires carbs, which is why only light cardio is recommended on VLCD. Your body will break down muscle in order for you to perform heavier cardio. This will make it harder to keep the weight off. So RawrGril suggests saving Jillian for Maintenance or when you are off the VLCD, and just add some walking or other light activity to your routine for now. But the weights are definately needed. In the study they did both upper and lower 3x a week with a day of rest between. RawrGirl is doing upper and lower workouts on alternative days so that she can work out shorter time for 6 days to make it an almost daily habit.

Hope that helps!

Kellmo was amused by the Hercule Poirit references, although the accent she read them
in her head was more 'Ello 'Ello!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

this makes me LOL x

Thanks RawrGirl

Now that RawrGirl can post links, she wanted to share the study she found on VLCD that talks about incorporating strength training and proves that by doing so you can maintain muscle mass and thus not lower your metabolism and keep the weight off. This is what convinced Rawrgirl to try a VLCD after 2 years of Atkins and 1 year of WW with no results!

Effects of Resistance vs. Aerobic Training Combined With an 800 Calorie Liquid Diet on Lean Body Mass and Resting Metabolic Rate

Thanks for sharing RG,

I've been looking at other diets this week & had wondered whether to do a VLCD for 6 weeks but did not want to forgo the exercise altogether. Would a kettlebell routine combined with the VLCD be suitable? I assume that I'd need to finish my couch to 5k before doing a VLCD as it's cardio or ditch it for the duration.
Lighter Life is being advertised here quite a lot - I hate milk & shakes though - so wonder if can be done with just soups and bars?

Awesome! This makes me want to try this even more, as strength training is pretty low-cost compared to a lot of cardio stuff (e.g. larger equipment, paying to swim etc.).

largerthanmost said:
Thanks for sharing RG,

I've been looking at other diets this week & had wondered whether to do a VLCD for 6 weeks but did not want to forgo the exercise altogether. Would a kettlebell routine combined with the VLCD be suitable? I assume that I'd need to finish my couch to 5k before doing a VLCD as it's cardio or ditch it for the duration.
Lighter Life is being advertised here quite a lot - I hate milk & shakes though - so wonder if can be done with just soups and bars?

A kettlebell routine is cardiovascular as well as strength. In the first couple of weeks I would suggest slowly introducing exervise (but not too quickly as your body needs to get used to the low calories). After that you should be able to build up to a level of cardiovascular as well as strength if you wish to - just listen to your body. Some people do C25k whilst on a VLCD.

LL can be done on soups/bars/little meal things without milkshakes. However, I would suggest that you consider a wider range of VLCDs. Here's some key points on a number of them.

Counselling - LL offers group counselling and weekly weigh in in addition to the food. It is the most expensive because of this but does try to get to the bottom of your relationship with food.

Weekly weigh in - LL and Cambridge offer weekly weigh in in front of a counsellor

Pharmacy - Lipotrim can be bought from a Pharmacy. Haven't tried it myself but it doesn't have a good reputation for the food as far as I'm aware.

Online - Slim and Save and Exante are available online and are the cheapest option, but you don't weigh in infront of anyone. I think the choice of food with Slim and Save is excellent - I haven't tried Exante.

The are others which I haven't mentioned too.

A kettlebell routine is cardiovascular as well as strength. In the first couple of weeks I would suggest slowly introducing exervise (but not too quickly as your body needs to get used to the low calories). After that you should be able to build up to a level of cardiovascular as well as strength if you wish to - just listen to your body. Some people do C25k whilst on a VLCD.

LL can be done on soups/bars/little meal things without milkshakes. However, I would suggest that you consider a wider range of VLCDs. Here's some key points on a number of them.

Counselling - LL offers group counselling and weekly weigh in in addition to the food. It is the most expensive because of this but does try to get to the bottom of your relationship with food.

Weekly weigh in - LL and Cambridge offer weekly weigh in in front of a counsellor

Pharmacy - Lipotrim can be bought from a Pharmacy. Haven't tried it myself but it doesn't have a good reputation for the food as far as I'm aware.

Online - Slim and Save and Exante are available online and are the cheapest option, but you don't weigh in infront of anyone. I think the choice of food with Slim and Save is excellent - I haven't tried Exante.

The are others which I haven't mentioned too.

thanks for all the info. Looking at other VLCD and things like celebrity slim. Just want a few easy weeks were my food choices are pre determined - don't want to be quite so pre occupied with meal planning and buying. Maybe a replacement bar for breakfast, soup or bar for lunch and a low carb dinner might be best for me.
At this stage have self analysed myself regarding food many many times and know my (many many) triggers. I've been using visualisation and self hypnosis which has helped. Learning about NLP as well and doing some general life enhancement stuff. I think that bit is perhaps more important for me than the actual diet.
Your loss is absolutely amazing - do you keep a diary?

Thanks! Yes I have a diary on the Slim and Save diary forum (called somethings like Weaseys Journey to a Size 10. I also have a diary on the Slim and Save Maintenance and Refeeding forum. I lost my weight with a combination of LL and Slim and Save.

Rawrgirl I am reading your posts with Poirot's Belgium accent - it makes me smile :)

Back