VLCD and Strength Training

Flabuless Mama

Postpartum Mama trying to conceive
Hello all, I was just wondering if everyone here was also doing a strength training routine. I've found several studies online that discovered if you strength train while on a VLCD you not only lose more fat pounds than those who don't also lift, but you maintain the muscle you have, thus your metabolism doesn't slow and it's easier to maintain the weight loss. I don't think I can post links yet to the studies, but the one study found that those just doing VLCD and cardio lost 9 pounds of muscle over a period of 12 weeks, whereas the ones who didn't do cardio but lifted weights only lost 1 pound of muscle. Everybody lost about 30 pounds overall body weight. So some only lost 21 pounds of fat, and others 29. I found this really fascinating, and interesting and so I wanted to share. :)

I didn't exercise whilst I was doing the VLCD but Now that I've finished I'm working out like a fiend! I wouldn't be surprised if strength training helped retain muscle - I know my arms and legs are very noticeably more muscley after just 4 weeks. I guess it's a case of slowly building up to it whilst calories are so restricted though.

I am about half a stone higher than I want to be at the moment. Mainly because when I started to maintain all the structure was gone and I struggled. I am now doing the Dukan transition phase which is intended for people who have lost weight in order to consolidate the weight loss. Having some structure around the food has really freed me up and I am slowly losing the 7 lbs and have confidence that I can maintain. I didn't realise how much easier it made for me to have structure around food!

Sounds about right to me! I have been wondering about this, as it's something I'd like to do - do you have any particular strength training programme you'd recommend?

Back