Back again!

Emmy_lu

Silver Member
Hello everyone I'm back after almost 2 weeks refeeding as I put on half a stone so id like to lose that and more before my holiday in june.

I did 11 weeks losing almost 4 stone then 2 weeks refeeding where i put on half a stone so I know what to expect now and what went wrong refeeding so I should be more successful this time. I've set a 4 week limit so I have 2 weeks to refeed properly before I go on holiday.

Couldn't of started at a worse time as its my fiancées birthday tomorrow so have a weekend of dinner party's BUT I need to start as I mean to go on which is why I'm here.

Anyway that's my story. Bring on ketosis!!!!

Had all 3 shakes and I'm already hungry I don't like this bit

Stick with it hun! Get yourself an early night..you know you've just got to get through one day at a time cos you've done it all before! You aren't hungry..if your tummy is rumbling it's just happy cos it's eating itself lol :) xx

Thanks louise it's just this first week that makes or breaks it. You have done so well maintaining all you have lost! Well done x

Thanks hun! It's horrible getting back on it after a break isn't it..it takes sheer determination! Which you obviously have loads of to get as far as you did! Keep positive :p xx

It is harder second time for some reason, even tho you know what to expect, I mucked the refeed up so much tho that I have to come back on, somehow not eating and having the shakes is actually easier than the eating part. I ended up picking on crap all the time so second go lucky in my case I hope. How much do you want to lose? X

Good luck Emma! x x x

Thanks Kay, didn't think I'd be back this soon but think its something Ive got to do. How are you getting on with the eating side of things xx

I read yesterday that when you refeed it is naturall for about 4 lbs to go on due to the glucose or something so I would not worry too much I will post the info in a bit as it was really interesting

Weight gain in re-feed.

Before you start you re-feed plan its important to be aware of the way a ketogenic diet works in respect of weight loss and weight gain and the part glycogen plays in this process.Everyone loves the results of a VLCD Ketogenic diet, you can achieve fast results, suppressed appetite, and regular weight loss. However, it is common for people to panic when the time comes for taking a break or coming off a VLCD for fear of gaining weight. There is nothing to be afraid of and I want to start by putting your mind at rest and explaining the process, and why the weight gain you will have during this time is not a bad thing! When on a VLCD diet you are typically in the region of 50-100g of carbohydrates per day, this level ofcarbohydrates will force the body into a state of ketosis due to the body not having enough glycogen to use as its main fuel source and switches to using fat for energy. The breakdown of fats in this process results in 3 different molecules called ‘ketones’ two of which: acetoacetate and ßhydroxybutyrate can be used as energy by the body and the third acetone which can’t be used by the ody and is excreted in the urine, and also through the process of breathing, (hence the bad breath).Glycogen is a branched chain of glucose molecules made by and stored in the liver and also stored in the muscle cells to provide the body with an energy source that can be used quickly. Glycogen is stored in the muscle in a 1 to 3 ratio, 1g of Glycogen to 3g of Water. The approximate amount of glycogen the body can hold is said to be 50-100g in the liver and 400g in the muscle cell. Based on holding 400g of glycogen in the muscle we can estimate that 400g would hold with it 1200g of water. Combined would give 1600g + the additional glycogen in the liver would amount to 1700g (1.7kg ornearly 4lb).When you started your VLCD your body had to use up all of your carbohydrate from the bloodstreamas well as all of the glycogen stored in the liver and muscle, which we now know could account to around 4lb in weight loss that is not fat. So, when you come off any VLCD programme that involves ketosis you can expect to regain this 4lb of weight because as soon as you start to eat carbohydrates they will convert to glycogen and be stored back into the muscle along with the water. Remember 1gof glycogen stores in the muscle with 3g of water. After long periods of ketosis your body can also ‘supercompensate’ the reloading of carbohydrates and take in more than your body needs. Supercompensation would be a temporary phase and would regulate itself within a couple of days at most but initially could account for an extra 2lb in glycogen/water weight gain. So remembering that this weight you will regain is not fat weight you can allow yourself not to be concerned about gaining approximately 4-6lb in the first week of re-feeding. If you gain more than 4lbthis would generally be lost within the next week naturally.The glycogen and water weight you regain has a positive effect on the metabolism due to occupying muscle cell area and increasing the amount of calories your body burns each day, so this weight gainis certainly a healthy one!So hopefully you are now not afraid of gaining a few pounds once you come off your VLCD. If the weight on the scales is more important than how you look in the mirror (eg: you have to weigh 10st or life will not be worth living!), then we suggest you lose around 4 to 6lb more than.Sorry if I have bored you but I found this very helpful.

Last edited:
Really interesting, thanks Debbie!

Hi Emma, doing great and just as in Debbie's post, I've lost 2lbs between yesterday and today which is fab, while still sticking to healthy eating and reasonable portions. I don't want to bore you with the details but the lactulose the pharmacy gave me for my bloating/constipation has been working a treat and I'm feeling so much better after having several trips to the loo yesterday :) I'll continue taking the syrup for a while until I feel like normal service has been resumed ;)

I hope you're ok and not getting too stressed about this. I know you have clothes bought for your holiday so understand why you're doing trf again for a while. I'm hoping ketosis comes soon for you, and let me know how you're getting on x x x

Stick with it hun! Get yourself an early night..you know you've just got to get through one day at a time cos you've done it all before! You aren't hungry..if your tummy is rumbling it's just happy cos it's eating itself lol :) xx
LOL that's brilliant, I'll try to remember that one whenever my tummy does its impression of an aggressive whale

Debbie that was excellent, exactly what I needed to hear as I'm going on holiday an very very nervous! Thank you very much :D

Thanks Debbie, I knew it was normal to put on a bit if water weight but didn't realize it actually rights its self and some comes off again. Ill remember that when I do my refeed again. However I did eat quite a large amount of chocolate so it was my own fault. In my heAd I was like yay I can eat and make up for losing out on my birthday/ Easter/Mother's Day when I should of been thinking of maintaining and how I was going to be healthy. Ill learn xx

Thanks Kay, glad you feel better you are doing amazon and way to go losing 2lb that stuff sounds magic, glad you are feeling a bit better now.

Today I've been harvester with the family and I've made my fiancé a giant cupcake for his birthday as we are seeing his mum ect tomorrow so thought I'd make the effort but this weekend seems to all be about food. I did great in harvester and just sat with my water but then I defeated the object when I ate a small price of chicken (was very small but still stupid) hope I can do this again x

Today has been hard I had to sit and watch everyone eat KFC which is my fave, yesterday was harvester and tomorrow we are going for roast dinner. Wish I'd started after the weekend now lol!

You're doing great Emma, and you and I both know you wouldn't have wanted to start after the weekend, you might have had more weight to shift ;)

Keep going luv, and get in those 12's comfortably x x x

Yeah that's what I was worried about , thanks Hun , how you getting on x

Really stressed today as OH is super stressed. On a delegation tomorrow to see a govt minister and trying to get our dux in a row. Only have 15 mins with the minister and there are 3 people in the delegation who all have tosay their bit. Not much time to put our points across so we've got to make every minute count :)

Back