Back for good, finally....

zebredy

Sci-Fi Geek
Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get it all of my chest so to speak...

I did weight watchers before and well it actually worked for my hubby and me.

He lost over 3 stone doing it and I lost almost the same.

Then Weight watchers went all Pro Points on us, and at first I was a bit sceptical but I decided to give it a go as I thought the change would do us both some good.

It worked I lost 2.5lbs the first week, then 2.5lbs the next week as well. Problem was my hubby was gaining weight on the new PP plan and as he was the main reason we were doing WW in the first place (he was a diabetic very close to insulin who really needed to lose some weight, and needed more guidance then me) I was unsure what to do next.

We decided to stick with PP for the time being, but it didn't help that the meeting was cancelled the next week due to the snow and when my hubby re-weighed himself almost a week later at home, he found he had gained weight again (poor guy)

Anyway it just demotivated us both, and we lost focus of what was most important, we tried to go back to the old plan, but with Christmas round the corner our heads were not in the right place.

Well 2011 came and two of my relatives were doing calorie counting, and I asked my hubby and he said it was ok he was up for that. I new while he was at work I would be the main one working out the calories for food but I had no problem with that, that was until I checked the calories of some of the things we ate and I could not believe that something as simple as a banana or apple would have such a different figure for its calories depending on what site I went on.

Again I just was like what the hell, I just can't be doing with all this, it just felt like to much work.

Recently my hubby has been having some trouble with his blood sugar levels, and has been waking up and testing his blood before work and its at 3.8 which is really low, and its kind of worrying me.

Although he is his own worst enemy sometimes, sometimes I blame myself. Yes he is a grown man of 39 years old and if he (for example) wants that chocky bar and has the money he is gona buy it, and I'm not always going to able to stop him. The problem lies when its a Saturday and we are watching a movie, and I decide half way through this 2hr movie that I want some chocolate. Not only should I not be eating it if I want to be healthy, but I know that if I go with him to get some stuff, he will have something too, and I know that if I didn't get myself a treat he wouldn't have anything either..

Thats why I feel that even though he is 39 I kind of blame myself for the way he is. I mean I cook almost all the dinners at home during the week and I know dam well 4 home made spicy pork wraps are far to much for one person trying to lose weight to be eating, but yet I still cooked that many for each of us last night, along with 150g of rice split between the two off us.

This is where the line must be drawn.

I know I can do it, its not a case of trying its a case of having to do. I don't want him to be 40 and on insulin. I want him to be 45 and still not using needles .

I know lots of people who love PP and would never go back to the old plan, but personally I wish PP had never come along, as it screwed everything for us. I new where I was with Discover Plan.

Ok so I wasn't always losing 2.5lbs per week like I did on the first two weeks I tried PP, but I was losing something almost every week, and SO was my hubby which was what really counted. We are in this together we both want to be slimmer, so what's the point of trying something as a couple that only works for one of us, it really defeats the object of us both losing weight together right.

Thats why I'm back and here to stay for good.

I'm glad to say that since leaving WW in December I have stayed around the same weight, losing some then gaining it back (and so on), which isn't the worst that could happen. My hubby on the other hand, has gone back up to almost 16stone again and was on 15.6-15.8 at one point (he is really not happy with himself for that, I'm not happy with myself either) but that's not to bad, as things could have been a lot worse for the two of us.

We joined the gym so along with the healthy eating we are keeping fit too, and Im actually enjoying it all now. And that's about it.

If you got this far then thanks for taking the time to read it all, and I look forward to coming on here at least 4-5 times a week and joining other Discovery Plan people in losing the weight they so badly want to lose..

Good luck everyone it may take time, but you will get there in the end.

zebredy said:

Then Weight watchers went all Pro Points on us, and at first I was a bit sceptical but I decided to give it a go as I thought the change would do us both some good.

It worked I lost 2.5lbs the first week, then 2.5lbs the next week as well. Problem was my hubby was gaining weight on the new PP plan and as he was the main reason we were doing WW in the first place (he was a diabetic very close to insulin who really needed to lose some weight, and needed more guidance then me) I was unsure what to do next.

We decided to stick with PP for the time being, but it didn't help that the meeting was cancelled the next week due to the snow and when my hubby re-weighed himself almost a week later at home, he found he had gained weight again (poor guy)

Anyway it just demotivated us both, and we lost focus of what was most important, we tried to go back to the old plan, but with Christmas round the corner our heads were not in the right place.

Well 2011 came and two of my relatives were doing calorie counting, and I asked my hubby and he said it was ok he was up for that. I new while he was at work I would be the main one working out the calories for food but I had no problem with that, that was until I checked the calories of some of the things we ate and I could not believe that something as simple as a banana or apple would have such a different figure for its calories depending on what site I went on.

Again I just was like what the hell, I just can't be doing with all this, it just felt like to much work.

Recently my hubby has been having some trouble with his blood sugar levels, and has been waking up and testing his blood before work and its at 3.8 which is really low, and its kind of worrying me.

Although he is his own worst enemy sometimes, sometimes I blame myself. Yes he is a grown man of 39 years old and if he (for example) wants that chocky bar and has the money he is gona buy it, and I'm not always going to able to stop him. The problem lies when its a Saturday and we are watching a movie, and I decide half way through this 2hr movie that I want some chocolate. Not only should I not be eating it if I want to be healthy, but I know that if I go with him to get some stuff, he will have something too, and I know that if I didn't get myself a treat he wouldn't have anything either..

Thats why I feel that even though he is 39 I kind of blame myself for the way he is. I mean I cook almost all the dinners at home during the week and I know dam well 4 home made spicy pork wraps are far to much for one person trying to lose weight to be eating, but yet I still cooked that many for each of us last night, along with 150g of rice split between the two off us.

I know I can do it, its not a case of trying its a case of having to do. I don't want him to be 40 and on insulin. I want him to be 45 and still not using needles .

I know lots of people who love PP and would never go back to the old plan, but personally I wish PP had never come along, as it screwed everything for us. I new where I was with Discover Plan.

Ok so I wasn't always losing 2.5lbs per week like I did on the first two weeks I tried PP, but I was losing something almost every week, and SO was my hubby which was what really counted. We are in this together we both want to be slimmer, so what's the point of trying something as a couple that only works for one of us, it really defeats the object of us both losing weight together right.

I'm glad to say that since leaving WW in December I have stayed around the same weight, losing some then gaining it back (and so on), which isn't the worst that could happen. My hubby on the other hand, has gone back up to almost 16stone again and was on 15.6-15.8 at one point (he is really not happy with himself for that, I'm not happy with myself either) but that's not to bad, as things could have been a lot worse for the two of us.

We joined the gym so along with the healthy eating we are keeping fit too, and Im actually enjoying it all now. And that's about it.

If you got this far then thanks for taking the time to read it all, and I look forward to coming on here at least 4-5 times a week and joining other Discovery Plan people in losing the weight they so badly want to lose..

Good luck to you and ur hubby I hope this plan works for you again x

Thanks for the replies..

I'm not sure about a food diary on here as I have a bad habit of forgetting to keep it up todate.

I do have a little notepad and when at home I sometimes write down what I have eaten on the white board we have on the fridge which helps, but for the most part I just try to plan what I am going to eat on any given day, the day before, which really seems to help me, and often I leave 1 or 2 points spare just in case..

Don't know if this is good news or not, but my hubby phoned me and asked me what the points for his dinner were (he is having something different to me as he hates quorn mince)

I told him he had 29 total for the day and he worked out he has had 10.5 so far and we worked out that dinner is gona be 15points so when he comes back from the gym he has enough left for a little bread and butter (or what ever) to keep him going (the doctor did say to have something to eat 30mins-1hr before bed cause he was waking up with low blood sugar numbers)

This shows me that he is really making an effort to get on board and to do this with me, cause I was a little apprehensive that we/he might not do so well without the support of the meetings (which as you know cause WW has gone all PP we can't really go to anymore)

Happy days...

Ooh if anyone reads this, do you know what the deal with exercise is. I mean how many extra points do you get for that. I never used to use them but then I never used to go to the gym 4 times a week (though I did do the Wii fit+ at home and go walking) I think I might have gone one point over (if my dinner calculations are right) but was wondering if it would not matter so much as I spent 1 hour on the machines at the gym today?

Also lastly, do gravy granule have points, if yes do oxo cubes as well? Sure OXO cubes didn't (excuse the stupid questions)

Last edited:
amazing post, welcome back hun totally the same as you!! i tired PP and i put on weight, then i tried calorie counting and it just couldnt get my head around that either.. so i tired slimfast lol :D .. guess what i'm doing now ... Discovery!!!! as people keep saying; if it's not broke then why fix it? :) So i'm back loving the old system now! took me a year to come back but so glad i did! hope you and your hubby are doing great :) just think how far uve already come xxx

zebredy said:

I have also decided to go back on the discover plan. I lost 5.1 stone on it before pp came and whilst on pp I lost a big FAt zero. Lost heart and gave up for 7 months and gained a stone.
Into my second week on discover and first week I lost 3 lbs. Next weigh in on Monday. Feeling confident back on the discover plan.
I think looking back for me if it ain't broke and wished I'd switched back sooner.
I hope you both find what suits you and wish you every success.

Go go discover plan
Lee.

Thanks for the replies..

We have decided to give PP another try, purely becauce my hubby really needs to be attending meetings as he gets a little to complacent about it all at home. He gained a stone while not attending meetings, and I lost 1 lbs which I think is good considering near the end before we re-joined WW I was eating more chocolate again like I used too when I first really started to gain the weight all those years ago..

If he gets a big number at a meeting he gets really happy especially when the leader mentions it to others.

We have had to lower his points somewhat (well from 48-44 and now he is supposed to be on 45 according to online but he is sticking with 43)

This is the only way the new plan can really really work for him as 48 was just way to many points (the new plan does not allow for the fact that no matter what sex or size you are, everyone IS different and there bodies work differently in the way they process food)

Anyway two weeks in and the meetings and PP seem to be working for us both, but if discovery is the only thing that is working for you, then go for it.

We all want the same thing in the end (the weight gone and hopefully for good)

Back