Back in the office and the temptation begins.......

dreamslim

Silver Member
2nd day back in the office after christmas and the cakes have begun!! It was someone's birthday on christmas day and while they have all my sympathies for probably having the worse birth date ever they have brought in cakes. :(
Fine, I told myself, I will avoid the kitchen all day (although it is right opposite my office but i'm working on an out of sight out of mind theory) but then my boss had a piece of one of the cakes and proceeded to tell me how lovely it was several times over then when I said I'm avoiding it until AT LEAST this afternoon and don't fancy caving this morning he replied with the typical man response of 'it's a low fat one though'. So I explained that it's only low fat compared to other cakes and was still not good to have it on my diet, well, not at 10.20am coz then I would eat a lot more by the en of the day.
So, I need help to try to keep away from the cake and resist until this afternoon.
Anyone? :D

oh dreamslim - I have NO willpower - that would drive me mad...

I guess having lots of free/superfree food at the ready so you're full rather than wanting to eat some of the "bad" stuff lol...

I don't envy you, but you need to think do you REALLY REALLY want to sabotage your journey....... just for the sake of cake??? NO WAY!!! lol

I know this sounds stupid but when we were given big tins of celebrations choccies before Christmas (one was put on my desk by a colleague to see how long I could resist), I told myself I couldn't eat any because they weren't mine and didnt belong to me!

I didnt even eat a Maltesers one and they were sat on my desk for a week :D

Reading it it sounds daft but it did work for me.

Thanks all I'm glad it's not just me.
I ventured into the kitchen, iPhone in hand and looked at the syns in these cakes on the sw app and that really helped but I also like the idea of thinking they're not mine. I'll have to use that one too.
Most people in the office get it but unfortunately I share my office with my boss who is a man and a man who is very slim while eating whatever he feels like so he doesn't 'get it' if that makes sense. He's not meaning to be malicious but it makes things quite difficult.

Well done and keep it up! Just decide not to have any, I find it easier than saying I'll have a slice later! The cake is so not worth the guilt and crap feelings that come after :(

Congrats!!! :D

Hannahkw1 said:
Well done and keep it up! Just decide not to have any, I find it easier than saying I'll have a slice later! The cake is so not worth the guilt and crap feelings that come after :(

Congrats!!! :D

I think if I tell myself I'll have some later then I'll actually manage it better if that makes sense. Afternoons tend to go quicker than mornings so as long as I put my head down and keep myself busy this afternoon I'll hopefully not notice that I haven't had any cake. Also, knowing this office it may all be gone by lunchtime anyway (fingers crossed)
Thanks everyone for your help - if I was sat here thinking about it I would have convinced myself I was hungry by now but talking about it on here I'm not even tempted at the mo. plus, have a delicious juicy apple in my bag. :)

It's a bit late now but in the future just say I don't like... (insert flavour/thing here).

People are much more accepting of this and also you will be less likely to 'cave' later on as you've told them you don't like it so don't wan't to look daft by then eating a piece.

I'd rather not tell fibs but cake is an almost daily feature where I work and it's what works for me!

Clareel said:
It's a bit late now but in the future just say I don't like... (insert flavour/thing here).

People are much more accepting of this and also you will be less likely to 'cave' later on as you've told them you don't like it so don't wan't to look daft by then eating a piece.

I'd rather not tell fibs but cake is an almost daily feature where I work and it's what works for me!

That is a good idea for most of the time (if there's only one, maybe 2 cakes) but there is choc cake, vicky sponge, carrot cake, then a weight watchers version of each, chocolate crispy bites, caramel crispy bites, mini cookies PLUS gluten free cake as someone in the office is celiac.
Very difficult to say 'I don't like that flavour' to ALL of those. Hahaha. :)

Here here, our office is chocka block with Celebrations, Roses, Quality Streets, etc etc etc. To make it worse, there was a birthday over Christmas so cream cakes have been brought in to celebrate.

Surprisingly I haven't touched a single thing :D I'm feeling so motivated at the moment and determined to lose the weight I put on over Christmas. Hoping this willpower is here to stay!

That is a good idea for most of the time (if there's only one, maybe 2 cakes) but there is choc cake, vicky sponge, carrot cake, then a weight watchers version of each, chocolate crispy bites, caramel crispy bites, mini cookies PLUS gluten free cake as someone in the office is celiac.
Very difficult to say 'I don't like that flavour' to ALL of those. Hahaha. :)

Haha okay fair enough then!

Princess_Stevie said:
Here here, our office is chocka block with Celebrations, Roses, Quality Streets, etc etc etc. To make it worse, there was a birthday over Christmas so cream cakes have been brought in to celebrate.

Surprisingly I haven't touched a single thing :D I'm feeling so motivated at the moment and determined to lose the weight I put on over Christmas. Hoping this willpower is here to stay!

Snap. I don't feel tempted at the mo coz of coming on here but I think we may need to keep each other motivate throughout the day. :)

As it happens, I don't like cake so its easy for me to say that! 'I'd love to have some, but I'm allergic' will probably work well too!

5 and a half hours down!!!! :D
Went out at lunchtime and bought some Activia fat free snackpots for a bit of a sweet kick and also got some options sachets in my drawer in case it all gets too much! :)

Well done everyone, you're all doing so well and resisiting temptation. Keep it up!! :D

One thing I use to keep me motivated when I start feeling tempted by chocolates/sweets/etc, is something I read from someones story in the Slimming World magazing. When you're tempted by something naughty, just think to yourself..
"What do I really want? This *insert naughty food item here*, or a good weight loss this week?"
..I bet I can guess what it is you all want most :) xx

Well done everyone, you're all doing so well and resisiting temptation. Keep it up!! :D

One thing I use to keep me motivated when I start feeling tempted by chocolates/sweets/etc, is something I read from someones story in the Slimming World magazing. When you're tempted by something naughty, just think to yourself..
"What do I really want? This *insert naughty food item here*, or a good weight loss this week?"
..I bet I can guess what it is you all want most :) xx

That's pretty much what I've been doing. Focussing on the highest weight loss I've had in one week and how I achieved that (only had 57 syns in that week). I'm not aiming for that this week but keep reminding myself that the closer to 57 syns I am the closer I will be to achieving that loss again. If you see what I mean?

Ok, so I kinda maybe a little bit gave in. I had a Weight Watchers Lemon Slice. They are 4 syns and hit the sweet craving. I hope this doesn't count as a failure - I've still only had 8 syns for the day (2 on an options hot choc, 4 on the cake and 2 buttering my toast this morning) and no syns planned for tonight, I've had one bit of cake and that is all I want.

That's pretty much what I've been doing. Focussing on the highest weight loss I've had in one week and how I achieved that (only had 57 syns in that week). I'm not aiming for that this week but keep reminding myself that the closer to 57 syns I am the closer I will be to achieving that loss again. If you see what I mean?

The only thing I'd suggest with that is try not to deprive yourself of too many Syns, as it can backfire in the future.

Our consultant explained it to us like this..We need Syns for the plan to work and should aim for around 10 a day. This is because when we start getting closer to our targets, and our weight begins to plateu, we need something we can reduce to kickstart the losses again. If you're having little or no Syns, you barely have anything to reduce.

Also, if you go from having one week where you only have 52 Syns, and then the next week you're using the full 105, you could see a maintain/gain as you're body is not used to so much.

Hope this bit of advice makes sense xx

The only thing I'd suggest with that is try not to deprive yourself of too many Syns, as it can backfire in the future.

Our consultant explained it to us like this..We need Syns for the plan to work and should aim for around 10 a day. This is because when we start getting closer to our targets, and our weight begins to plateu, we need something we can reduce to kickstart the losses again. If you're having little or no Syns, you barely have anything to reduce.

Also, if you go from having one week where you only have 52 Syns, and then the next week you're using the full 105, you could see a maintain/gain as you're body is not used to so much.

Hope this bit of advice makes sense xx

Yeah, sorry, I think I explained badly, I'm not aiming for 57 syns (apart from anything else I like a curry on the weekend) but if I think to myself - look what I did with 57.5 syns (which was my first week so wasn't comfortable with the plan) then it stops me going the other way of 'well, I still lost 1lb in so-and-so week and I had 20 syns a day there'.

That make any sense?

It's kinda like I'd rather aim for 57.5 and hit 103 than aim for 103 and end up on 140.

I'm weird, I know, my bf tells me this all the time, haha.

Yeah, sorry, I think I explained badly, I'm not aiming for 57 syns (apart from anything else I like a curry on the weekend) but if I think to myself - look what I did with 57.5 syns (which was my first week so wasn't comfortable with the plan) then it stops me going the other way of 'well, I still lost 1lb in so-and-so week and I had 20 syns a day there'.

That make any sense?

Oh yeah, I got ya! Sorry about that :) Our first week we tend to lose more though, due to water retention etc. I think as long as you're losing then it's a good thing. Even a tiny 0.5lb off is much much better than 0.5lb on :)

That make any sense?

It's kinda like I'd rather aim for 57.5 and hit 103 than aim for 103 and end up on 140.

I'm weird, I know, my bf tells me this all the time, haha.

That makes so much sense! Never thought of it like that before. Good perspective to have :) xx

Back