Back on a liquid diet again!

roundrachel

Silver Member
This time it's not to lose weight! I had jaw surgery three weeks ago to correct my severe underbite (which was causing a lot of problems and tooth pain). It's not been an easy journey (a year with full metal braces so far) but I'm really happy with the last part of my tranformation from fat frump to smiley slim me!

The surgery was pretty major (seven hours, both jaws broken and realigned with 36 pins and several titanium plates) and I've been signed off work for six weeks but as a bonus, I'm not allowed to chew anything for eight weeks so it's been a liquid diet and I've lost 16lbs. I don't really need to lose any more now but it's quite refreshing not to have to think about food. I'm missing chewing anything. Even an LL bar would taste good right now!

I'm still bruised and swollen but I'll post some pics of my new face soon! I've always been so paranoid about my profile so when my surgeon told me I had to have the surgery I was really pleased!

It's been a long journey since I began LL in 2008 but I'm at a point where I can look in the mirror and be happy with what I see.
It's great to see so many people doing so well on here (and some old faces too!)
Keep up the good work! :)

Hey, not so much of the old" !!
Hi Rachel,
I do have some idea of what you are experiencing. Someone very close to me had a similar operation. Your mouth feels so raw at first doesn't it. I expect you've had to do the salt water treatment to help the healing too.
I remember when we were in the hospital I was reading David Niven's book The Moon's a Balloon to my fiance who couldn't open his mouth at the time. It was so funny, we were laughing so much it caused a haemorrhage!! Panic all round.
We were very young.
Strange to think that some people have their jaws wired together to lose weight.
I look forward to seeing your lovely new smile. Wishing you a speedy recovery. xx:D

Back