Back Pain...

tazzy21

I have really bad back pain again at the moment, probably due to my weight :cry:

Does anyone else get bad back pain? What do you do to get rid of it?

At the moment I'm just walking as much as possible during the day and trying to sit up straight. I guess there is one positive...It certainly is motivation to keep on track!

Tazzy x

I have just had 3 or 4 days of really bad back pain. Pain where I could not get up from the sofa without shouting.

I lifted a heavy bag awkwardly but I am sure my weight doesn't help.

I took cocodomol. They made me constipated which aggravated my hernia lol !!!! They took the pain away but made me feel ill.

I found the best thing was heat. I have one of those heat bags you put in the microwave and also the electric blanket on the bed is brilliant.

I feel sorry for you because it is horrid............

hugs

I have suffered from back pain since i was 16 so 8 years now. i was hit my lorry and unfortunately i have never fully recovered. Now ive put on lots of weight my back is still very bad.
I use head pads on my back to help ease pain and i have a memory foam mattress that really helps. Definately keep it moving otherwise it could seize up. If it continues id recommend going to the doctor who might give you some strong pain killers.

I've got facet joint syndrome - 3 of my facet joints have worn away. Its not nice.

For 5 years i was told it was muscular, and given pain killers (finally tramadol) in the end a combination of anti inflammatory injections into my spine, core stability exercises & loosing 3 stone have alleviated it. I now get a brief (week or so) bout every few months & that it. At that time i just dose up on painkillers, & get the heat pad out.

Thanks for your replies, I have a heat pad on now, gonna get the hot water bottle out though they are expensive! Last time I had a bad back, it lasted for months and months and it feels the same, one side of my back/bum is all swollen. I could barely walk last time. I'm just about to start a job as a newly qualified nurse too, don't think a bad back would go down well :( Sorry to moan on, its just so effin painful and distressing!

Tazzy x

I've got one of the wheatpack that you heat in the microwave that Fillymum mentioned, it was only about £2.99 fro Dunelm mill if you have on elocally and it is brilliant !!!

I`ve got the wheatpack in the microwave. Years of working in a warehouse have done my back in.

Now OH is semi disabled and can`t bath himself properly. I have to lift him out. Dunno whether it`s better or worse now that I`ve lost some weight. Whereas we were about the same weight, he`s now 4stone heavier than me.

We`re still arguing with our landlord to get the shower fixed. We can`t get any hot water from it. If it was working it would make life a lot easier!

GrannieAnnie said:
I`ve got the wheatpack in the microwave. Years of working in a warehouse have done my back in.

Now OH is semi disabled and can`t bath himself properly. I have to lift him out. Dunno whether it`s better or worse now that I`ve lost some weight. Whereas we were about the same weight, he`s now 4stone heavier than me.

We`re still arguing with our landlord to get the shower fixed. We can`t get any hot water from it. If it was working it would make life a lot easier!

Has the bath situation been assessed by an OT? There are loads of aids to everyday living languishing as they aren't asked for, simple things, not just hoists and such, my favourite aid is a ladder that attaches to the bottom of the bed and the person uses it to sit up, ingenious!
No way should you be lifting him from the bath, one of my SUs had s bath lift, it just sits across the top of the bath and using a rechargeable control it lowers you into the water. I think you could remove it to make it a normal bath bit it was a while ago.

I tore a ligament in my back a many years ago, and I also suffer from "floppy joints" so I'm overly flexible meaning they move a lot. I get a lot of lower back pain that spreads to my buttocks and hips. It's very inflamed sometimes and occasionally locks my lower back so I can't walk.
I see an osteopath to deal with it, but it is the usual cold and hot treatment to sooth and exercise to strengthen.
Sitting up straight only works if you are sitting up straight against the back of the seat which is set properly, or you are doing your back a disservice. If you can through work get a workstation assessment, nab one. I had one and it's an eye opener.

When you're back is better see about strengthening your core, perhaps with a P trainer, you need to have strong abdominals and back muscles to stay upright, if you don't then your back will be only supported one side. Meaning more strain on the back.

Back pain... hmmm... my back hurts standing at the sink lol. Sooner the better this weight goes away!
In the meantime, the heatpack is a great idea, but they are expensive, and in today's financial climate, spending money you don't have to is silly.
Here's how to make your own heat pack. Fill and old sock with uncooked rice. Tie the end. Put in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. It'll stay warm for ages. And when you need to, just reheat it again.

There you go - a nice heat pack without dipping into your purse.

Good luck.

Back pain... hmmm... my back hurts standing at the sink lol. Sooner the better this weight goes away!
In the meantime, the heatpack is a great idea, but they are expensive, and in today's financial climate, spending money you don't have to is silly.
Here's how to make your own heat pack. Fill and old sock with uncooked rice. Tie the end. Put in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. It'll stay warm for ages. And when you need to, just reheat it again.

There you go - a nice heat pack without dipping into your purse.

Good luck.

To avoid Sciatica often exacerbated by standing at the sink/ironing board, open the door to the cupboard under the sink and prop one foot on the shelf. Whilst ironing use phone books to do the same thing. and stretch those legs and thighs every day!

I've never heard that before, Shirleen! Thanks bunches, I am sooo going to try that. I despise doing the washing up or peeling/chopping because of the pain in my back!

Just read your post Shirleen.

No we haven`t been assessed by OT. Our regular GP is on hols but he`s back next week and OH has an appt on Tuesday. Will ask him to sort out OT.

In the mean time I`ve contacted the housing association about the shower. The flat is privately owned but managed but the housing association. So anything like that has to be ok`d by the owner. If necessary I`ll offer to pay for the repairs myself. But that would be a last resort.

GrannieAnnie said:
Just read your post Shirleen.

No we haven`t been assessed by OT. Our regular GP is on hols but he`s back next week and OH has an appt on Tuesday. Will ask him to sort out OT.

In the mean time I`ve contacted the housing association about the shower. The flat is privately owned but managed but the housing association. So anything like that has to be ok`d by the owner. If necessary I`ll offer to pay for the repairs myself. But that would be a last resort.

Make sure he asks for a referral, GP probably won't suggest it! Imagine if you are laid up how he will cope? Also see the GP yourself and discuss your back and the emotional pressure of caring for someone without help, believe it or not your are a valuable resource to the NHS! They want you fit and healthy!

Make sure he asks for a referral, GP probably won't suggest it! Imagine if you are laid up how he will cope? Also see the GP yourself and discuss your back and the emotional pressure of caring for someone without help, believe it or not your are a valuable resource to the NHS! They want you fit and healthy!

Thanks Shirleen. Gonna get it sorted next week. Will make sure the GP gives us a refferal. Can`t really carry on much longer. OH`s problems are too numerous to go into here. He has early on-set Parkinson`s so his need are only going to get worse.

Going to the housing association this afternoon to discuss the shower situation.

Thanks again for the invaluable advise

GrannieAnnie said:
Thanks Shirleen. Gonna get it sorted next week. Will make sure the GP gives us a refferal. Can`t really carry on much longer. OH`s problems are too numerous to go into here. He has early on-set Parkinson`s so his need are only going to get worse.

Going to the housing association this afternoon to discuss the shower situation.

Thanks again for the invaluable advise

It's ok hun, life is rotten at times but you deserve help. Hope you get it, if not, get your gloves on and fight for it xxxx

'GrannieAnnie' I hope you get things sorted, OTs are usually quite good (if they don't have a huge waiting list).

Thanks for the advice people :) My back is still sore, particularly in the mornings. Definately going to try the foot on a shelf thing for sciatica, its walking that annoys me because my foot starts going numb. I'm going to do some core strenthening excercises too...pilates for back pain ordered!

To top off my week of pain...I haven't lost a pound despite having less syns than normal. Stress from the pain and anxiety about everything I guess...

Tazzy xx

'GrannieAnnie' I hope you get things sorted, OTs are usually quite good (if they don't have a huge waiting list).

Thanks for the advice people :) My back is still sore, particularly in the mornings. Definately going to try the foot on a shelf thing for sciatica, its walking that annoys me because my foot starts going numb. I'm going to do some core strenthening excercises too...pilates for back pain ordered!

To top off my week of pain...I haven't lost a pound despite having less syns than normal. Stress from the pain and anxiety about everything I guess...

Tazzy xx

I had back pain today, only relieved by pulling in my abdominal muscles, but it nearly killed me lol!

Back