Back to school

redmel

Dreamer
Hi everyone

My two big boys go back to school on Friday......what on earth is the point of going back in for one day! It always used to be the case that they would go back on a Wednesday, sometimes a Thursday...but a Friday!!

They have been so well behaved the whole holidays, until halfway through last week. i think they are just sick of each other now as they just seem to keep bickering and arguing, it is driving me mad.

Anyone else's kids going back on a Friday or is their school the only one?

xx

Mine doesn't go back on Friday but yours are not the only one. Many schools here go back on Friday.
I think it's because of the way the dates have fallen to be honest, this week is a bit too early to go back on the weds or thurs and too late on mon or tues, hence going back on a Friday.
I think it's not a bad idea to be honest, eases them back into it a bit after such a long break.

Think about the poor teachers... they have just had a LONG break and need to take it slowly!:8855::8855:

You're right patsy....I of course will be raring to go, and won't enjoy long summer holidays when I am qualified;)

xx

My two start back monday, (well, little one STARTS monday :( ) which I think will be very tiring for them, having a full week to kick off with, but usually its a Weds/Thurs restart. Think its just because of dates and late summer finishing this time. I remember when we were at school that the holidays were generally a fair bit longer, it seems these days that they are back in the day after New Years Day for christmas and the minute the calendar says September, but we often didnt go back till about the 9th/10th January and 8th/9th September when we were little.

Aghhh - I'm doing supply teaching now and just want to get back to work. The agency said not to expect much work on Friday. I think I'll dedicate the rest of this week to e-baying (selling, not buying), cleaning and the gym.

STIR CRAZY ! ! ! Get me out of here!!!!! I need some routine back.

We NEVER went back bank holiday week! Ever! That was always the most popular week for summer hols. To go back Friday of that week is just madness in my opinion. Both mine do too!

I miss school, those long holidays were the best! We never went back on a Friday though it was always a Monday or Tuesday. Scotland is different though!

Makes sense to have a 'mini-week', to sort out timetables, let the kids get their holiday catch-ups out of the way, do teacher introductions, allocation of text books, writing names on the front of new exercise books...
Then the craziness can subside the following week and the kids can start fresh on their learning.

However, when I taught we NEVER had partial weeks as the attendance would be so poor. It was the sort of school where parents and kids thought 'oh, they've had Monday off, may as well take the whole week'. Hmmm :)

Back