Bad stomach cramps - Have i developed an intolerance?

gazter

needs to get a life
I am sitting here now with excruciating stomach cramps. The third time in a week. I'm trying to narrow down the cause.

The first time it happened, last saturday, it seemed quite obvious. I had cooked some turkey that was probably almost off. So, seemed like simple food poisoning... It would start off with a slight tummy ache, which would grow over an hour to a very sore set of stomach cramps which caused the muscles in my lower back to also ache. No position, standing, sitting would make a difference.

I used salt water to induce vomiting, it seemed to do the trick, the pain after about thirty minutes went away and didnt return until the other night.

It cant have been the same food poisoning (though the pains were identical, as was the pattern). That day I had decided to use a load of syns and my healthy extra to enable me to have a very large wholemeal bread roll, the biggest since i started slimming world!

About eight hours later the cramps came back. Yesterday evening I cooked a pastry based pie, i woke up this morning with the feeling of pain, i knew what was coming, sure enough.

If it was not food poisoning I can only think that i have developed some kind of wheat intolerance (not a problem pre diet), or, possibly a reaction to drinking too much diet soda.

The diet coke/coke zero is the only thing i can think of that is common to all three situations. This is only something i have been drinking a lot of for the last six months.

It is currently on promotion so it is possible i have drank more than normal. Maybe a litre to a couple of litres in a day.

Anyone else experienced this?

Hi,
Sorry you've been feeling poorly. I'm not sure about the effects of coke zero/diet coke but I do know certain food poisonings can last a long time and come and go. If you puked the turkey up it may be that there is was still some bacteria left. Or it could simply be a tummy bug. You could try drinking diet coke again to see if anything happens but it may be that the fizz is irritating your tummy if it's sensitive.
Sorry this isn't much help- hope you feel better soon xx

Sorry - I don't have much advice but didn't want to read and run. How miserable to be so ill. You may well have an allergy to something. It may be worth keeping a food and drink diary (if you don't already) to try and trace what causes it and then go to see your GP for further advice.

Does sound slightyl IBS ish.

It can take a bit of time to see where the problem lies, it's white bread/rice/noodles that does me, but also Ribena so you may find it might be the diet fizzies.

Hope you work out what it is soon. One thing I feel I should say - you should never use salt water as an emetic - it can be very dangerous.

Its working out whether a couple of mouthfuls of salt water, to help bring up something that you have been dry wretching at for twenty minutes is worth it.

Your symptoms sound exactly like mine when I had gallstones. Stomach cramps that just got worse and worse, right into my back, mostly in the evening. Being sick was the only thing that eased them.

It might be worth asking your GP. I had my gall bladder out in the end and was very happy to say goodbye to the pain.

I hope you get this sorted soon.

Back