Bagpuss's Diary...

Hello! this, I suppose, is my more offical mumblings thread, and in places, a but if a dumping ground for thoughts. Now I have the requisite number of posts I'll ask to get it shifted to the 'general weight loss diaries' section, as no-one seems to bother this forum. I can't really share stuff on facebook, my non-fat husband is very supportive but doesn't *really* understand, so here some of it is, really. I feel I'm not getting in the way of someone else's conversation on my own diary thread! lol

I used to love salsa, did that years ago when I was living in Brum before I met my husband - got as far as the improvers group. I would go again, but my poor rhythmically-challenged hubster wouldn't cope. We're doing well to get where we are with jive, so one set of steps at a time. Would like to give swing another go, so we might try that again once the jive habit is set. We can just about social foxtrot too... ;)

I have a real grudge about the assumptions of some of the medical profession. I know they have little time to see you, and they have to draw a conclusion on what you've told them pretty quickly, but giving you a quick once-up-and-down is no substitute for having a quick flick through your records. I had my carpal tunnel done 3 years ago (Hardcore studying, not being fat) and the consultant held up my surgery until I could prove I wasn't diabetic. This is from a bloke who when I turned up for appointments insisted I had a problem with the wrong wrist...

I've recently changed surgeries because I finally (and I have a long tolerance for these things) as they wouldn't properly chat about the thing I went in for, instead insisting I have another set of blood tests. I'd have gone for the tests, just the dismissive attitude, when I was already upset about something, and (so it turns out) suffering from anxiety at the time. So, they got fired and I self-referred instead.

As an addendum, I got invited for a free flu jab again earlier this week. I'm not entitled to a free flu jab. So went into new docs, and to cut a long story short, someone from my old practice has written 'consider influenza vaccination - in high risk group' without giving any indication of what high risk group they considered me to be in. No-one could see why that note was there. I mentioned this to my old practice last year but instead of fixing it, they just hit the button to say I declined the jab, which I didn't. Hopefully new practice is going to get my records right... But yeah, I'm not a habitual doctor-botherer... but I worry if something important happens, no one's going to properly listen.
Wow your former surgery sounds awful! I hope your new one is better! It's worrying isn't it, that no matter what the issue the response seems to be "lose weight". Fingers crossed you won't have such an issue with that at your new surgery!

Wow your former surgery sounds awful! I hope your new one is better!

It got rated inadequate, which I wasn't too bothered about at the time as it would then mean they would really concentrate on improving, and potentially get support. But even they eventually stretched my patience. Ah well.

Well.

Thursday night I got some rather awful news about a friend, that left me very out of sorts on Friday. I could have blown it on Friday, completely thinking "f*** it", it's not important, and properly carbed out in solace. But I didn't. Realising this was a potential red flag as I'd be low on resilience I took a few extra snacks to work, and came home with nice cheese and salad items for a decent dinner prior to a couple of small gins. While I might have slackened the calories (but still no more than 1000) I stayed ketotic. Which was the plan. Rather than blow it completely, I made a compromise. This is progress.

I was going to take today easy, but after an irritating conversation with a courier company, I had to pull myself together and drive over to the back end of Dunstable in order to pick up a parcel. No breakfast, still low, and generally not in the mood. Had not planned to leave the house today. Could have really swung by a drive-in. Could really have done a (veggy) sausage sandwich. But managed to swerve both. However Low carbing is a particular arse if you're a vegetarian. I could really have demolished a few rounds of toast this morning - it takes away a lot of my 'instant', 'easy' and 'satisfying' options.

However I did decide to find some low carb 'real' food for low-resilience days, and didn't want to wait for mail order products. So swung by the co-op on the way back and bought some things to play with - ground almonds; a cauliflower (not one of my top 10 vegetables, but apparently a useable carb alt.); and found a variety of toaster pocket things that are 14g carbs each. Nice one. If desperate, I'll remember their gluten free pittas are 20g carbs. And these are all gross carbs, not net carbs. It's useful to have a small repertoire of supermarket shopping options.

So had avocado toast for lunch using a toaster pocket thing as the 'toast'. And made cauliflower fritters to go with my VLCD burger dinner. They were 'almost like real food', (a phrase sometimes uttered in my household when diet or veggy food is rather edible and like the real thing). Turned out rather well. Will have a crack at pancakes with ground almonds in the morning, and more cauliflower experimentation later tomorrow.

Anyway... the parcel I picked up were dresses, one of which was for an event next month - see black dress in photos below. Needs taking up (this is not unusual), but fits a treat - Although not a diet thing, I'd have probably worn it anyway. Wanted to try the knitted winter dress, asked husb for opinion. (I have no full-length mirror, and I'm not a great judge on how I look in things anyway. So we regularly ask each other's opinions.) 'Does it overly cling on the lumps and bumps?' I said. I have no issue in principle with being fat in bodycon, just some of the garments aren't well cut/designed for it. Without thinking, he said 'It's fine, you've got much less lumps and bumps now anyway.'. I later asked whether he meant that, and yes, it's apparently noticeable. So that's nice.

Attachments

• knitted dress.jpg
    knitted dress.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 14
  • black dress.jpg
    black dress.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 12
Awww @Bagpuss1 I wasn't sure how to react to your post.

Initially with sadness, I'm sorry to hear you've had some upsetting news about your friend. The biggest of hugs!

Then I could have reacted with a like to the fact you've stayed on track yet you've been kind to yourself, that's fab!

And then I wanted to react with love as those dresses are gorgeous. Where are they from? The knitted dress is right up my street (although trying to limit spending as just booked our Christmas holiday - £3000!!!! 😬😬😬 So much money!)

Heya - no worries, it was a bit of a stream of consciousness, wasn't it. But thank you for your thoughts x

I was very close to chucking it all in at several points at the weekend, and I still appear to be stuck in a plateau which is on the verge of defying the laws of physics. Even before I was on the site I had planned a day or two 'off' at the end of the month so the Hubst and I can go out for a meal, but I'm bringing that forward to this weekend. Friday's payday, and I have a Pizza Express voucher (See site for the January offer) which will be nice...

Anyway, dresses are Voodoo Vixen, Outlet dept, so still reasonably priced. https://www.voodoovixen.co.uk/outlet/outlet-clothing.html

:)

Last edited:
Week 3 - 0.6kg.

Not desperately impressed given how darned hard work this is, but given the bigger picture - just over 17lb in 3 weeks - then that's jolly good work.

Week 3 - 0.6kg.

Not desperately impressed given how darned hard work this is, but given the bigger picture - just over 17lb in 3 weeks - then that's jolly good work.
17lbs in 3 weeks is amazing! And a loss is a loss, so be proud of your 0.6kg!

17lbs in 3 weeks is amazing! And a loss is a loss, so be proud of your 0.6kg!
Thanks. It is, just seems like there's a lot of things I'm not eating for just 0.6kg. But yes, in the grand scheme of things... etc.

:)

Back