Baileys/Irish Cream

malaika

Lover of Extra Easy
I have finally concocted a Baileys home made recipe and its YUMMY. This is after seeing all the Baileys in Tesco and walking around drooling as I love it and always drink loads of it at Christmas but won't as it's 4 syns for a 25ml tot. My home made version is 0.85 syns a tot.
Here goes:

200 mls semi skimmed milk (6 syns)
4 x 25ml tots whisky (or brandy)(10 syns)
1 tub quark
1 heaped tsp cocoa (1 syn)
1 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp vanilla flavouring
6 tablespoons Splendor (or to taste)

Beat the quark with the milk until it is smooth and thick.
Dissolve the cocoa and coffee in a little boiling water and add to the mixture with the vanilla.
Add the Splendor and whisky and beat until smooth.
This makes 500mls in total. 17 syns.
This will have to be refrigerated, obviously, and drunk pretty quickly I think. I think quantities can all be adjusted to taste.
It's really good, and I will have some as soon as it's ice cold.

BRAINWAVE - you are a god!!! thankyou - xmas is saved!

Oh that sound fab! Let me know how it tastes, not sure about the quark though, I don't like it! Could substitute vlf fromage frias?

oooohhh Sonia I can't wait for you to try some!! Love my Baileys at this time of year, you are an angel thanks xxxx :thankyou:

Brilliant thanks for posting this, i make homemade baileys and have been racking my brains on how to make it sw friendly.
Know what i'm going to try tomorrow :)

Thanks all.
I am sure you can substitute quark with VLF fromaige frais and it may even be better.
It tasted ok, but silly me used a quark that had gone sell by date and only noticed when I tasted that it tasted slightly sour. I checked the quark container and it was too old! My fault for bulk buying and not using it all.
Down the drain it went but without the sour taste it will be good!
Fresh baileys will be made as soon as I buy more quark!

I couldn't wait lol made some tonight I used VLF fromaige frais it was really nice, I havent drank it all in one go ;-)
I was thinking I might try making it with 0% total which might make it a bit richer and adjust the whisky a little i think that is to personal taste.
But its a very good replacement for the real thing, thank you again :)

Thanks Malaika, I have added a link to this thread from the SW Christmas Menu Challenge, hopefully it will help lots of people celebrate Christmas with some festive spirit!!

:D

Don't suppose now you could invent a SW friendly non alcoholic version for me.....? LOL - missing the idea of Baileys but now on Diabetes medication alcohol is a no-no !!! boo-hoo !!!!

I am scratching my head here, but how about trying more vanilla flavouring instead of the whisky or adding more cocoa and/or coffee or even cutting out the vanilla and adding almond essence?

I am sure you can buy brandy flavouring....May not be the same, no alcohol! boo!!!!!!!! But it may be worth a try

You deserve an MBE for services to slimming!!! Will definately be making this at Christmas! Thank you! x

Thank you Kat27!
I always have loads of Baileys over Christmas and was wracking my brain for a substitute.
I used to make Baileys years ago using condensed milk and cream but that was probably as synful as the real thing if not more so HAD to think of something.;)

Hi iv converted my recipe as for some reason the one i made last night separated by this morning, the recipe i normally use is eggs condensed milk, coffee, vanilla and whisky. so thought what the hell i will give it a go.
its turned out not as thick as bailys but tastes just as good.
i used.

3 eggs
200ml of semi skimmed milk
a level teaspoon of instant coffee desolved in a little hot water
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
75 ml of whisky or you could use brandy
6 to 8 table spoons of sweetner ( depending on taste )

put eggs in blender or whisk eggs with the milk till frothy,
add coffee and vanilla essence blend again
add whisky and sweetner and blend/ whisk again.
serve chilled

hope you dont mind me posting this Malaika,

is that raw eggs?

Don't suppose now you could invent a SW friendly non alcoholic version for me.....? LOL - missing the idea of Baileys but now on Diabetes medication alcohol is a no-no !!! boo-hoo !!!!

it's free from alcohol but not sugar but you could go to your local friendly starbucks and ask for some of their Irish cream syrup?

Hi yes its raw eggs i just used my orignal recipe for baileys and just replaced the condensed milk with semi-skimmed milk and sweetner just as an experiment, and it tastes good just not as thick. :)
if you type in baileys recipe in google, there are a few,
I guessed a few people would be put off by raw eggs, but it has never given me any bad side effects, as with most things containing raw eggs you have to be careful if pregnant or elderly.

Hi iv converted my recipe as for some reason the one i made last night separated by this morning, the recipe i normally use is eggs condensed milk, coffee, vanilla and whisky. so thought what the hell i will give it a go.
its turned out not as thick as bailys but tastes just as good.
i used.

3 eggs
200ml of semi skimmed milk
a level teaspoon of instant coffee desolved in a little hot water
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
75 ml of whisky or you could use brandy
6 to 8 table spoons of sweetner ( depending on taste )

put eggs in blender or whisk eggs with the milk till frothy,
add coffee and vanilla essence blend again
add whisky and sweetner and blend/ whisk again.
serve chilled

hope you dont mind me posting this Malaika,

I don't mind at all. Thank you. I am sorry about it separating. I wonder if that will happen with the quark. I have not made it again since I threw it away.
The eggs sound like a good idea.
I am going to try it.
I used to make advocat with eggs and milk and was also thinking of trying a SW recipe for that. I just may do that and will let you know.
Thanks again... I have the ingredients so may just try your version this evening.

Hi Malaika, glad you didn't mind. did you try my version ? just curios to know what you thought.
How do you make advocat, i like that too lol.

Back