BANANAS!!!

I get a weekly email - not sure why - called The Good Life Letter. It's full of tips and hints, some of it sensible, some a bit daft. Today's email was all about bananas, a topic often discussed on Minimins, so I thought I would share it with you (it's a bit long, sorry). Please note that I am just passing this on for interest and amusement - I don't know if any of it is true! And I am certainly not going to be wiping bananas over my CD collection any time soon!!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So why exactly is the banana such a powerful medicine?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is highly possible that bananas contain active ingredients that science has not yet put a name too. In the meantime, however, there's plenty going on in that thick yellow mush that we understand already - including vitamin B6 which is great for fatigue and premenstrual symptoms and tryptophan for promoting sleep and easing depression. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bananas, it would seem, are a natural soother and nourisher with re-balancing properties. For whatever ails you, in fact, the banana may be able to help you. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So let's look into a few of it miraculous healing properties in detail, working our way through the conditions or functions it's good for: [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Allergies: There are believed to be chemicals in bananas that repel allergies. If you believe you may be suffering from any kind of allergy then trying eating one banana each day. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Anaemia: Because bananas are high in iron, they can stimulate the production of haemoglobin in the blood. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Blood Pressure: If you've been told to stay off the salt then
grabbing yourself a banana is a perfect snack for you. Not only are they low in salt, but they're high in potassium as well. In fact, they're so positively good for those suffering from high blood pressure that the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brain Power: Thanks again to the high content of potassium,
bananas can assist learning by making students more alert. By
reducing irritability, it also makes the brain more clear and ready for action.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Constipation (and diarrhea): Because bananas are high in fibre, they can be useful in helping to restore normal bowel action. As they are also believed to help promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in the intestine, they can be good for any imbalance or problems in bowel function.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND
amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. The substance in bananas responsible for this mind-altering effect is a kind of protein called tryptophan that the body converts into serotonin. Also known as the happy hormone, serotonin can make you feel relaxed and happy.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hangovers: One of the best ways of treating a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels. The milk also has a soothing effect and and tackles the dehydration. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body so if you suffer from heart-burn, try eating a banana for soothing relief. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Morning Sickness: When I was suffering from morning sickness
myself I remember that any advice about what to eat to stop it only made me more nauseous at the thought of it. If you can manage a banana between meals, however, it is supposed to help a lot!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mosquito bites: Next time you get an insect bite, try rubbing it with the inside of a banana skin instead of the normal cream. The amazing banana also appears to have anti-inflammatory properties as well. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ulcers: Because of its soft texture and smoothness, the banana is a valuable food for those suffering from ulcers. It also neutralises over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Warts and verrucas: It was actually the fact that both of my
children are currently suffering from verrucas at the moment (or berrucas as the youngest insists on calling them) that inspired me to write this email for you.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Having tried all the potions and expensive kits from the chemist that did nothing but make them howl with pain, I was keen to find an alternative solution that might work. Low and behold, I discovered that the remedy most people swear by is a bit of a banana skin. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For three nights now the kids have gone to bed with a square of skin taped to their feet and it does indeed seem to be doing the job. I will report back with progress in a few weeks. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Uses around the home, garden and in the bathroom!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Great for boosting the growth of your rose bushes. Bury
your banana skins about four inches deep into the ground. Tear them up first so they can get to work quicker.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Polish your shoes. Simply use the inside of the the peel to apply a cleansing, buffing polish to your shoes. Then wipe clean and buff with a lint-free cloth. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Polish wood furniture. Got an over-ripe banana sitting in the fruit bowl? Then use it to get a great finish on your wood furniture! [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Get scratches off a CD. You remember how we were told that
CDs were better than records because they never scratched? What a lie that was. But help is at hand!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here's what to do: Slice a banana lengthways down the middle,[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]keeping the skin on so that you can hold onto it. Now hold onto the half of a banana and rub the fruit part all over your CD for about one minute. Be sure that you get it into all of the surfaces on the CD. Do this in a circular motion. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Next, turn the banana over and rub the peel on the CD in a circular motion for a few seconds. Then use something like a window cleaner and a paper towel to clean the remnants of the fruit off of the CD.

I'm still to try this myself so this is hearsay only!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A fruity treat for dry, tired skin[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bananas are great at moisturising and nourishing your skin too. You
can whip up a simple softening and hydrating face pack with some
mashed banana and a spoonful of olive oil (leave on for half an hour).
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alternatively, for a whole body treatment, add four strawberries and a
few tablespoons of sugar to banana and oil to make a revitalising
exfoliator. Mash up the banana and strawberries completely first then
mix in the olive oil followed by the sugar.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now apply the mixture to your body in the shower and especially
elbows, knees and feet. Massage into your skin in a circular motion
for 3-5 minutes then let the mixture set for 3-5 additional minutes and
rinse away with warm water.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also try as a mask for your hair. Great for bounce and
preventing split ends
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have been given hair treatments in the past with banana in them. So
why not go one better and just put banana on your hair?! Not only are
all the vitamins, potassium and oils it contains great for nourishing the
hair shaft, good old tryptophan is also know to be extremely beneficial
for hair and skin as well.
[/FONT]

I like that a lot. I also like bananas a lot !!!

Joking apart I am going to try the skin tip but without a proprietary facemask. I will just use banana and oil and will report back.

We have a pretty bad problem with mosquitoes this year so will try the skins for that.##As both OH and I eat a banana each day there will be no problem with sourcing skins.........hmmmmmmmmm might even chop them up and bury them around my rose trees.........but then what would my goat Leo do without his daily dose of banana skin....... he loves it.

Thanks Avisk.:banana dancer::banana dancer::bananalove::bananalove:

Thanks for this email avisk! I've found it really interesting :) Like you, I don't think I'll be using it to restore my CD collection any time soon!

I'm a bit confused about the blood pressure aspect though - I've got high blood pressure, and was told to cut down on salt, but not to use a low-sodium salt alternative as there was more potassium chloride in it, which can be just as dangerous to the body as high levels of sodium chloride (due to high blood pressure medication often affecting kidney function). So I'm a little bit confused! :confused:

Thanks again though for this, it made good reading :) xxx

Potassium chloride is not the same thing as potassium. Have a look at the Wikipedia pages for both of them, and you will see what I mean.

I don't need to look at the Wikipedia pages, I'm a chemistry teacher with a Biochem degree. Potassium is not found in its elemental form in nature due to its violent reaction with water, and is therefore found in the form of ionic salts (be it chloride or another type). The potassium in bananas would have to be in the form of potassium chloride, potassium bicarbonate, or something like potassium citrate/aspartate. Our bodies just split the salt to use whichever part it needs.

I don't need to look at the Wikipedia pages, I'm a chemistry teacher with a Biochem degree. Potassium is not found in its elemental form in nature due to its violent reaction with water, and is therefore found in the form of ionic salts (be it chloride or another type). The potassium in bananas would have to be in the form of potassium chloride, potassium bicarbonate, or something like potassium citrate/aspartate. Our bodies just split the salt to use whichever part it needs.

Oops!

Whhhooooaaaa Dudette, Chemistry... well I'll go to our house and back, knew you were a teacher but Chemistry, you brainy bugger you! lol

Hope your staying out of trouble chick x

It doesnt mention that bananas are great if you suffer with night leg cramps either!
I used to suffer all the time and my Dr told me to eat a banana a day...I was skeptical, but that and the water...no cramps!

It doesnt mention that bananas are great if you suffer with night leg cramps either!
I used to suffer all the time and my Dr told me to eat a banana a day...I was skeptical, but that and the water...no cramps!

I haven't heard that before. Definitely worth a try.

I eat them because I like them! And because they are so convenient when you just have to dash out and there's no time for a proper breakfast. The best portable food!

Natures perfect snack. Well packaged and tastes so good.

Back