bananas

Dawnyo

I have given up bananas for two weeks now and have lost 2lbs each week. Before that i either stayed the same or put on. My leader says bananas dont make a difference to weight loss and was willing to steak her house on it. So, what do you think.....:banana dancer:

It depends how many you eat! If you ate five a day as snacks then that would probably slow down your losses. But eating one a day isn't going to do any harm - it takes 3,500 calories to gain a pound and a medium banana is only about 100 calories.

I think bananas get a lot of bad press, to be honest. If we were supposed to limit bananas, they wouldn't be superfree on the plan.

i had one a day at about 10.30 at work.

I think that if you think that giving up bananas has helped you to lose weight then carry on.
I eat bananas about three times a week, not every day and have lost 7 stone so I don't think that they stop you losing weight, but everyone is different.( I find that if I eat fresh pineapple, I don't lose weight but I'm sure that's just a fluke and doesn't apply to everyone LOL)

I find that if I eat fresh pineapple, I don't lose weight but I'm sure that's just a fluke and doesn't apply to everyone LOL

Was really surprised to read this as when I want to push the loss I have been eating this as its a superspeed but then haven't had the loss I expected so maybe I am the same as you lol!

I think everyone is different and different food affect everyone differently. I loose more when I avoid bread (even HE portions..) and beetroot certainly sometimes has some strange effects on me :eek: If it works for you... keep it up. But if you like bananas you could try reintroducing them gradually... maybe one or two per week rather than everyday :)

Mmmm Banana's
You probably swap it for some different fruit which is then super speed which might help xx

Bananas are hight in potassium which does something to the various salt levels in your blood and CAN ( not does.. ) make you absorb more water from foods which then CAN make you a little "bunged up"..

Time for the nasty question.. Have you noticed you are more "regular" or have an easier time of it when you go number 2?

I have given up bananas for two weeks now and have lost 2lbs each week. Before that i either stayed the same or put on. My leader says bananas dont make a difference to weight loss and was willing to steak her house on it. So, what do you think.....:banana dancer:

Out of interest, how many bananas were you eating per day befoore you gave them up?

I think this is a totally individual thing and I doubt this is the case for everyone, but personally they defo hinder my weight loss.

I don't know what it is about them, but even if I eat just one a day my weight loss seems to slow or stop.

No bananas for me for now but will be making full use of them once at target :)

it may be down to how ripe they are when you eat them..
if you like them all mushy and large black spots all over them then there's more sugar in them..
if you have them still firm and a little bit green then it's more starchy...

I think, bananas (if you like them) like everything should be part of a healthy diet, and not over indulged

This hits the nail on the head - free food maybe there to eat "freely" but also "in moderation" - some people will over indulge in free foods (not saying this is the case here) as they are "free" - so are muller-lights but I have to say - I noticed a difference from eating 6-8 a day to only eating 2 a day.

It may be called "free" but there are limits - you just have to find your own and what works for you.

And it's not the first time I've heard of someone who is a regular banana eater say that they've had better losses after cutting the number down (or out completly).

i eat loads banana, i am obsessed with them, id hate to not eat them again, they are toooo yummy and a quick snack to totally give up

i eat loads banana, i am obsessed with them, id hate to not eat them again, they are toooo yummy and a quick snack to totally give up

If you're losing weight eating them them I wouldn't change a thing! Just for those people who are stuggeling it's worth cutting down to see if it has any effect :)

I definitely try and keep the amount I eat down. Luckily I am very picky about how I like them (no black, slight hint of green so they are still firm but not hard) so by the time I have eaten one they are over ripe for me anyway!
For me I seem to have to be really careful with carbs - I can get away with my hifi/alpen lights for my B but really need to avoid bread, pasta, rice, spuds completely.
That is more than likely a portion size issue though!

Back