Barb's back!

Barb

Gold Member
Hi everyone, I have been away from here a long time and so much has happened. None of it very good I am afraid. Weight loss has slipped ever further down my list of priorities and I have spent far too much time just feeling sad.
My Dad died in January, he had been suffering with cancer fir several years and it suddenly galloped, leaving him paralysed from the waist down almost over night. He was admitted to hospital for assessment and 2 weeks later I sat at his bedside with my poor Mum as he slipped away. I remain devastated and lost. Supporting my 88 year old frail Mum is taking all I've got but at the same time i realise that I need to focus on me a bit.

So, this morning I sat and read my 'food & feelings diary' which I started on May 1st 2002. I accomplished a lot that year and as well as losing weight I became fitter, stronger and happier in my own skin.
So today, 8 years later,(and despite numerous half attempts) I'm giving it another go. I make no wild promises, I have no mad dreams.:D Softly, softly will do me, just as long as there is a tiny bit of progress i will be satisfied. I am a good 6 stone overweight but would be delighted to lose a stone by Christmas. More would be great, less would be ok. We'll see.;)

I know how much friends on here have helped in the past; Abi, Irene H, Summerskye, Isis, Mini, Clarri to name but a few, I hope you will help me again.

Love Barb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have really missed you and so glad you are back.

I made the same mistake and moved further and further down the line so pleased you are going to focus on you.

Sorry to hear the sad news about your Dad.

Irene xx

Thanks Irene, I missed you too! It's good to be back! xxx

Lovely to see you back x

Hi Starlight - lovely to see you too. I need to whip round everyone's diaries and find out what I've been missing.

Had a good first day yesterday - recorded every morsel and feel pleased with myself.

Thanks Irene, good to see you too Cheryl. That's the wonderful thing about Minimins, it's always good to see old friends again!

So already on day 3 of the diary and I am amazed at what an excellent tool it is. Just knowing I have to write stuff down stops me eating as much. I really hope that it will be enough to get me back into some good habits and see a gradual weight loss.

Thanks Irene, it's lovely to know you are keeping an eye on me! It's strange 'getting back in the zone' but I know I can. Quite a good day yesterday, had some wine in the evening but wrote everything down. Going to focus on a good healthy day today.

A good day yesterday - it's the evenings I struggle with. Had some wine etc.. but I think at least i am cutting down on the naughty foods, increasing the healthy foods, so that's progress I think.

Strange to read this and see that 10 years have passed. Full of changes, some good, some not. I lost my dear Mum in 2013, then over the next 3 years 3 dear little grand daughters, making 5 in total, arrived and gave me some happy stuff to focus on. We retired, life got more fun, lots of nice holidays and adventures, but the weight, that's always there, slightly spoiling everything. I promised myself I would lose weight for my daughters wedding in 2014, managed to gain half a stone! So i know pressure doesn't work on me. I still struggle with too much sweet stuff and too many glasses of wine and now, in lockdown, too much sitting around and eating and drinking. So, once more, i'm looking at day one on Monday, 1st of June 2020 and have high hopes that calorie counting, the only thing that really works for me, will see me 2 stone lighter by 2021! Wish me luck! Looking forward to re-connecting with some old friends on here!

Hi @Barb nice to meetcha. I've just returned after a long absence too, and am restarting, erm, today I guess!
I haven't weighed in yet but have started (yet another) food diary. For the moment I'm basing things loosely on the SW plan, or at least, what it was years ago when I first joined.
I've never had the patience for calorie counting but am currently taking a health and nutrition course and it looks like it might be easier than I thought!
I agree, a lot of lockdown has been about eating and drinking over here, too!

Good luck with your new journey! 😊

Hi Moonbeamcor, lovely to meet you and well done on getting back in the zone, it's not easy but sooooo worth it! I'm a big fan of the flexibility of cal counting and tbh, it is my one go to way of getting a grip on myself. I'm very all or nothing, so I need organisation, otherwise i'm starving or stuffing! Last Friday, with a June 1st start date in mind I joined the 'Lose it' app, the free version, which does everything i need. I was so taken with it, i started straight away and one weekend in, I'm 2lbs down already! It would probably work well with the course you are doing, I'm thrilled with it, so easy to do and very encouraging. Be lovely to keep encouraging each other along the way, I'm game if you are! Good luck with your journey too! xxx

I'm having probs with my signature, I've updated my ticker, seen the change and saved it in my signature but when I write a reply, the original signature is still coming up! Anyone else had this problem?

I've got a new one now, not sure what i did, but I'll give this a go!

Welcome back Barb and well done on being 2lbs down already👏👏👏

Thanks Mini, lovely to be back! I hope you are well and surviving lockdown ok! What a strange world this is! xxx

So, I'm getting used to this latest plan, using 'Lose it' consistently and staying within my calorie allowance. Not cutting well under my allowance, as I normally do! I am accepting that to get the initial weight off I have to go with the timescale set and that is what I am doing. So, I have set my goal at 1.5lbs a week, which gives me enough calories to enjoy a glass of wine or some chocolate if I want it, which obviously i do. I think I actually can do this. One day at a time!

Back