Bars

Morbi

I'm just wondering if the bars can slow weight loss down or even stop it?

I've been 100% at ss+ this week and i was not dropping anything on the scales, i had ran out of bars a few days ago and i now seem to be losing weight, i've been doing everything i normally would and i've only been having one per day or could it just be that i've been more active?

Last week i had lost nothing but that's probably because i cheated abit

Don't know officially, but the week I had 2 bars i lost 2 lbs less than normal, and I put it down to the bars. However, this week I have had 1/2 a bar most evenings and on my scales it is one of my better weeks. I'll let you know if CDC confirms my scales tomorrow!!

They can slow it down. They're are higher in carbs.

I started having bars in the past week and lost exactly the same amount as the week before when I was on just shakes. I think it depends on the person! I've read people saying they haven't made a difference and people saying they have. It's worth a try cos the peanut ones are yummy :)

This one comes up a lot. :)

It does seem that having bars makes some people retain more water. So although you'll be losing fat for sure (because there aren't that many more calories in bars than there are in shakes), the fat loss may not show up on the scales straight away. It all evens out in the end - that is, you might find you don't lose as much weight on the first week you have bars - but the next week, you'll lose what you're expecting cos it all catches up.

I think bars also get a bad rap because of the Week 3/4 phenomenon - that you quite often get great losses in weeks 1 and 2 of the diet, but not in week 3 or 4 (which is entirely normal - it's just your body hanging on to water because it's a bit panicky about how much weight you're losing, LOL). But of course, people also start having bars in Week 3 - so quite often blame the bars when really, they've got nothing to do with it!

A really helpful post Lily, thank you.

I had my first ever bar today and have another 6 (one a day) to have between now and WI so we'll see (but it is week 3, so I take your point re. weight loss slowing a bit!).

Xxx

I do have 'issues' with bars though - in that they do make me hungrier (which can be a bit of a problem). That'll be because of the higher carb content, I expect.

So I have just made the sorry decision that I'd better not order any next week and just stick to shakes (I'm not exactly having the best of weeks :cry:). It's a shame, cos I love 'em. It's so nice to have something to chew!

Lily said:
This one comes up a lot. :)

It does seem that having bars makes some people retain more water. So although you'll be losing fat for sure (because there aren't that many more calories in bars than there are in shakes), the fat loss may not show up on the scales straight away. It all evens out in the end - that is, you might find you don't lose as much weight on the first week you have bars - but the next week, you'll lose what you're expecting cos it all catches up.

I think bars also get a bad rap because of the Week 3/4 phenomenon - that you quite often get great losses in weeks 1 and 2 of the diet, but not in week 3 or 4 (which is entirely normal - it's just your body hanging on to water because it's a bit panicky about how much weight you're losing, LOL). But of course, people also start having bars in Week 3 - so quite often blame the bars when really, they've got nothing to do with it!

They give me constipation lol, and I can't stop at one! But I put mine in micro for 30 secs so it goes all gooey lol

Hi, I'm restarting today and know from doing this diet before that as soon as I start eating the bars my appetite increases (maybe it's just a craving and not hunger though).

Sorry I don't think that helps much but I will be trying to go as long as possible before having the bars as they make the diet harder for me :rolleyes:

The bars are risky because chewing activates the hunger centre in the brain (which is why chewing gum is advised against) and it can take at least 20 minutes for this to settle down again.

I agree with Lily though; we become so fixated on the numbers and if they are not what we expect we look for a reason so we can "fix" it. However our bodies are complex things so there are no hard and fast rules about the loss rates which is why CD say "an average of a stone a month".

They give me constipation lol, and I can't stop at one! But I put mine in micro for 30 secs so it goes all gooey lol

HAd to laugh (not about the constipation)I do the opposite and put them in the fridge so they are rock hard and take longer to eat

Back