Battery Life on HTC Wildfire

big bear

A bear on a mission!
Ok I got the phone & it's fantastic but the battery life sucks. I think KittenKat it was you that said about the battery life.

I don't use it all the time but am on there quite a bit on facebook & minis & I've been charging to twice a day.

Is it this phone or do HTC's generally drain the battery quite quickly.

Any tips on things to switch off to save the battery?

Also at the top right hand corner near where the battery sign is there's a H with an up & down arrow next to it. What is this?

I found that there aren't many instructions with it & it's trial & error.

Also how do you move the shortcuts from the main front screen? I've managed to get a couple on there I don't want & can't remove them or move them. Cheers

Make sure you don't have email set up to send/receive very often and turn the wireless roaming thing off if you don't need to use it.
Not sure about the shortcuts though.

I have the background data switched off (meaning no syncs, no automatic updates to facebook twitter minis etc) and turn the light down low, and my wildfire will last all day with 'green' battery leftover despite 3 hours of playing music - perhaps the background data or something is eating your power?

Shortcuts, if you press and hold them down at the bootom of the screen the menu bit that usually says PHONE will say REMOVE, and you just drag the icon onto that to remove it.

EDIT: The 'H' in the top corner is visible whenever your online connection is going. You can limit the amount that is there / using your battery by holding down the Power key, and selecting from the menu that appears 'Mobile network Data connection on' which will switch it off, then you can turn it back on whenever you use the net. You don't have to, but it can't hurt!

I have the background data switched off (meaning no syncs, no automatic updates to facebook twitter minis etc) and turn the light down low, and my wildfire will last all day with 'green' battery leftover despite 3 hours of playing music - perhaps the background data or something is eating your power?

Shortcuts, if you press and hold them down at the bootom of the screen the menu bit that usually says PHONE will say REMOVE, and you just drag the icon onto that to remove it.

EDIT: The 'H' in the top corner is visible whenever your online connection is going. You can limit the amount that is there / using your battery by holding down the Power key, and selecting from the menu that appears 'Mobile network Data connection on' which will switch it off, then you can turn it back on whenever you use the net. You don't have to, but it can't hurt!

Sorry to be thick but how do I switch off background data i.e no syncs etc...

I've turned the light down really low.

Make sure you don't have email set up to send/receive very often and turn the wireless roaming thing off if you don't need to use it.
Not sure about the shortcuts though.

Sorry how do you turn off wireless roaming? I have google mail that sends a message when I've mail is this what you mean?

You'd need to read the info manual hun, I'm not familiar with the phone itself - it would be in the connection settings - you can check if it's set to send/receive emails every so often or when you manually check. Mine was set to 15 mins so it drained the battery very quickly.
Now I just check when I want to.

If you're on your main front screen (with the clock on) press the menu button, and you should have a few options, Select Settings (looks like a cog) In there you have submenu called Wireless & networks (go into that to switch off / on wireless / bluetooth) and another submenu lower down called Accounts and sync (has a circular logo) if you select that and go in, you can unselect 'Background Data' and unselect 'Auto Sync' - you can change these at any time.

By switching the above off, you won't get Gmail / facebook / twitter etc updating constantly, you can just update them when you go into the apps directly
HTH

If you're on your main front screen (with the clock on) press the menu button, and you should have a few options, Select Settings (looks like a cog) In there you have submenu called Wireless & networks (go into that to switch off / on wireless / bluetooth) and another submenu lower down called Accounts and sync (has a circular logo) if you select that and go in, you can unselect 'Background Data' and unselect 'Auto Sync' - you can change these at any time.

By switching the above off, you won't get Gmail / facebook / twitter etc updating constantly, you can just update them when you go into the apps directly
HTH

Brilliant, thanks so much I'll do that now XXX

All smartphones have poor battery life BB - except the new iphone which is better than most (at a cost of course!).

Unfortunately, the very thing that makes the phones invaluable also drains the battery:(

Is it a new phone? - sometimes a new phone needs a couple of full cycles to get up to speed (fully charging and discharging).

Asm mentioned previously, best to check for emails/updates yourself and not allow the phone to check constantly - unless you can set it to check less frequently?

Back