"Because I can"

claireLLT

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to see if anyone is having the same problems/experience as me? I'd better explain first?

I have had weight problems all of my life and I've been on and off VLCD's for about 5 years. My heaviest weight (well un-pregnant weight) was 17 stone 4 when I started Lighter Life in 2007, back then there were no meals like spaghetti bolognese or shepherds pie it was all shakes and soups and you couldn't have a bar until week 3 and then they were like eating MDF (not that I've ever eaten MDF you understand, but I could imagine that's what it would be like if I had!!). Well I breezed through it, never cheated once and lost over 4 stone in just over 3 months, I'm tall and carry weight quite well (or so I'm told) so at 13 stone I decided that was it! I maintained that weight within about half a stone for about a year and then it crept back on. I then went on Cambridge (because it was cheaper) and got back down to the 13 stone mark but again the weight went back on!!

I won't bore you with every diet but I think over the last five years I've gained and lost the same 3 or 4 stone about six times on VLCD's, last year was slim and save I started in February at around 15 stone and got down to 12 stone 10. Now I'm back up to over 15 stone! My problem is in the back of my mind while I'm putting the weight on I always think well ok I'm putting weight on, but I can get it back off in no time "because I can"!! That is the wrong attitude and very bad health wise which worries me a lot.

I seem to be an all or nothing type of person, I'm not saying I'm especially good at doing these diets as I have lots of false starts and failures, but once I get in the right mindset I can follow them to the book. I'm at my lowest at the moment because I'm FAT (again) My confidence is Zero (again) I won't go anywhere socially (again) my relationship is suffering (again) and I need to do something (again)!! I intend to start (again) on Monday with just slim and save shakes and soups and the odd bar?

I just wondered if anyone had any advice this time on how to maintain the weight loss and get out of this silly "because I can" mindset? sorry if this has been a bit of a ramble but help would be truly appreciated. xx

Oh I feel your pain I am the very same, reading your post sounds so like me, I was trying weight watchers but kept thinking I could lose the weight in one week on cambridge diet what it would take me a month on ww!! I am about to start slim and save for the first time and I hope like you I can keep it off this time! I look forward to hearing if anyone gives you any help.

s x

Hey :) bare with me as im not the best on here at giving advice lol
Well seems I am the complete opposite. I have lost 5 stone since last year and kept it off, (hope that doesn't sounds like I'm bragging) I'm telling u because my mindset is I never want to be that person again, I am terrified of gaining weight! I look back on pics now and It upsets me!

Maybe you should make a scrap book of some sort, take pictures of yourself stick them in a book and write down all your feelings and why you don't want to be that weight and why you want to lose weight. And everytime u feel it's going out of control read it and hopefully it will help.

Make a diary on here and keep posting, if u need to rant or ur feeling down then let us know, we are so supportive on here :) xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Why don't you throw away all your fat clothes, then once you start gaining the weight again and have to buy larger sizes you can remind yourself how much better you feel slimmer.

I intend keeping this weight off forever. I never want to be as fat as I was again. I have no intention of stuffing myself once I am at goal, and for me losing weight even on S&S is a struggle. I only lose about 7lb to 9lbs a month at 100%, it will take me so much longer than a lot of people to lose my weight, but maybe thats a goo dthing because I can remind myself how hard losing weight is

Hey lovely, Im the same as you really, so I can only offer the advice I hope I will take myself! When I lost weight I completely block out the fact Im gaining it again. I ignore the scales, I dont exercise, I wear different clothes and I just block it out. It's only when I really properly start again I realise what iv done. I think for me it's going to have to be that im conscious of everything, so weighing once a week regardless etc and really keeping my eye on it, I don't trust myself just to wing it! Im still very early (day 5) but I think we need to prepare for these things rather than just assume it will all be fine!

Back