Become obsessed by weight loss..

magb

I've been a bit of a yoyo dieter for about 2 years now, I'm 21 years old and now I'm the heaviest I've ever been because I've let my weight get out of hand this summer.I'm 5 foot 11 and I weigh 12 stone. This makes me seriously unhappy because as sad as it is to find how shallow people are, people really do act differently with me (unsurprisingly-especially men), when I'm lighter ie. I get a lot more attention,so recently I have been feeling down if i am with friends and they get more attention.

I want to lose weight so so bad and therefore just don't understand why I am so bad at sticking to a diet if I know being thin is all I want. The worst thing about all of this is that for as long as I can remember, weight is all I think about. I think about my weight and attempting to lose it at least once every few minutes- I swear!! It makes me unhappy, and I have such little self esteem now as I'm constanlty thinking that people are looking at me. I even get nervous to see my friends and family because I am scared of what they will think. I'm embarrased to eat infront of people now because I am so worried. I just constantly wish to be thin again. Is this how it is for everyone trying to lose weight? It occupies all your thoughts? I can't even concentrate in my lessons as I just sit thinking of how many lbs I need to lose etc etc and over my exam period it was so hard to concentrate. I'm just wondering if I can I stop this and if is it normal??

It's very very easy to become obsessed with diet and exercise but you have to be very careful you don't develop an eating disorder. Try to put things in perspective. How much have you lost so far? What have you achieved since you started your weight loss journey? What can you do now that you never could have done before?

Sugar Lipswales is right; it is so easy to let losing weight take over your thoughts and life, believe me I have been there. I spent hundreds of ££ of diet books, diet pills, slimming classes and all my thoughts were of food and weight loss, every day I'd sit and look at diet websites for hours; you need to make sure you don't go there.

Try and focus on the positives and the things you have achieved now instead of what you have left to go - losing weight is something that needs to be done in baby steps and every little change you make or loss you have is a huge achievement. Try each day to write down something you have done that you are proud of or that made you feel good then when you start to worry about what you have acheived look back at all the things you have done that made you proud.

Keep posting here though, there's loads of great people to give advice and support.

It's very important that you look at why you want to lose weight and approach it in a healthy way, you need to be aware of the dangers of eating disorders and obsessing about anything to the point where other parts of your life start to suffer is not healthy.

I would seriously suggest going and speaking to a GP about these fears and looking at ways to increase your self esteem that don't include weight.

Losing weight can only deal with the problems that being overweight brings, it can't solve all life's problems.

I wish you all the luck in the world finding happiness in yourself.

Im very supportive of anyone who wants to lose weight if they have a weight problem. I dont believe you have a weight problem though, i think you have a body image problem. You may weigh 12st, but you are very tall. Your BMI is around 22? and you are aiming to get it down to 19. Thats not a weight problem.

You seem to have low self esteem and lack of confidence in yourself, you are already thin and well within the normal weight range, so you already have a beautiful body. You need to talk to your friends and family about how you feel, and if you think your doctor would be sympathetic, go to talk to them as well. Its a shame that you are so unhappy with yourself, as you already have what so many of us are striving to achieve. I wish i could wave a magic wand for you.

Back