Beef and ale pot pies

zi-ann

I am planning on making this on saturday, and have some WW chips to go with it,so thought i would share the recipe with others, its from the Seriously satisfying cookbook :D

Serves 4
10 pp per serving

You will need 4 gratin dishes or large ramekins
2 tablespoons plain flour
400g (14 oz) lean braising steak, cubed
low fat cooking spray
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic gloves, sliced
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
250 (9 oz) swede, chopped
250 ml (9 fl oz) brown ale
250 ml (9 fl oz) beef stock
1 bay leaf
2x45g (1 1/2) sheets filo pastry,measuring 50x24 cm (20x9 1/2 inches), defrosted if frozen
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the flour on a large plate and season.Toss the beef cubes in the flour. Remove to a plate, shaking off any excess.

Spray a large lidded pan with the cooking spray and heat untill hot. Add the beef and cook over a high heat untill browned all over. Remove from the pan and set aside.Spray the pan again, add the onion, garlic, carrots and swede and stir fry for 5 minutes untill beginning to brown.

Add the ale, letting it sizzle up, then add the stock, bay leaf and the beef.Bring to the boil, cover and leave to gently simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid. Simmer for another 20 minutes untill the meat is really tender.

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200C/fan oven 180C.
Remove the bay leave and divide the beef between 4 gratin/large ramekins dishes. Cut each sheet of pastry in half and then spray with the cooking spray.Scrunch up the pastry on top of each pie to cover and spray again with the cooking spray. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes untill the pastry is golden. Serve immediately.

ENJOY :D

I've made these a couple of times & they are gorgeous especially if you cook the meat in the slow cooker first. The flavours are fantastic & the meat just melts in your mouth. :) xx

Back