Been thinking..Are we craving more sweet food...

Thanks walkonby....its good to hear that what I'm doing makes sense. The sad thing is my parents were the same when I was a kid. All food and still is at their hse made from scratch, so not sure what happened to me! My siblings have always been thin and I've always been the fat one!! I do think it must be in the genes...My dad's family are all slim, like my brother and sister and my mum's family are larger than life, like me!! Oh well. Will carry on doing the same for my kids..at least they'll be able to cook when they're older!

Good luck to you and keep posting and motivated

xx

I wish I could cook from scratch but I leave it all to hubby.

Maybe one day I will get the will to learn! At the moment being on Go Lower with everything supplied I can put that thought aside for a bit longer.

Happy, like you I am hoping my boys will be good, sensible eaters as they grow up because we are quite sensible about what we allow them to eat. I just hope they follow our good advice.

Suzy - I do hope the kids follow the good example we teach them. Like I've said before, my parents always cooked from scratch and I can cook, so hopefully my kids will be the same. I know what's healthy and what's not - its just a case of doing as I say, rather than do as I do...But that is the beauty of Go Lower, I still eat sensible and so do my kids and OH. My daughter is like a china doll, really petite and tiny and my son is a bit of a bruzzer but he is not fat, just a typical boy. I worry about his weight more than more daughters, but then I used to be thin (apparently) before hormones kicked in...so got to teach my daughter the right way of eating so that she doesn't have a bad relationship with her food!

xx

I also have a slim one and a brusier, but mine are both boys. The older one looks like he may have his dads build, tall and slim.

It is the youngest one that worries me as he appears to have my build and I worry that he will put on weight easily as he gets older. He has always had a bit of a tummy, although I don't think he carries the weight anywhere else, but I am very careful about what treats they have.

I have to admit in the past I it has been a case of do as I say, not as I do, especailly if I was drinking coke and they only had water.

They used to say to my mum if she took them shopping, "look mummy water" as my mum went past the coca cola. I am so pleased I have changed my ways why they are still young thanks to Go Lower. Hopefully they will soon forget about my bad habits that I used to have!

I've told my daughter in the past that if she sees me eating something naughty like a biscuit or chocolate she's too tell me off. I've now stopped that as I realised, hopefully not too late, that saying things like that can give her a bad idea and result in a bad relationship with food. Now she sees me eating and thinks nothing of it, especially as she now says I'm not as cuddly but she loves me still!

xx

I know it is difficult to explain to young ones about good and bad foods as like you the last thing I want my kids to have is a problem with food.

That is why I control treats for them but do not ban them entirely. I sometimes now have them trying to offer me their treats, especially the youngest who wants to put it in my mouth and I have to say to him, no, it is for you, i don't want to share right now, thank you.

Things have certainly changed for me since being on Go Lower!

I like what you say to your youngest, "no it's for you and I don't want to share right now"....think that's really good. Will have to try that. I do have trouble when the kids do want to share their sweets because we teach them to share, and it's rude to say no, but it doesn't do us any good. So will use that quote, thanks Suzy. Go Lower has made me see food in so many different ways it's unbelievable! Never thought it would be possible.

xx

Happy

we sound so similar in our outlook towards the kids and food. Like your children, my boys are encouraged to share and that is why I have to think about what I say when I have them trying to force their treats into my mouth.

I don't want to say an outright No, as I want them to still remember they have to share if their friends are around but it is not easy making sure they don't start to have food issues.

I haven't explained to them about the Go Lower diet I am on as not only do I think they are too young to take it all in but I also don't want them to think that food can be a bad thing.

Where are those parenting manuals that tell us how to do it all the right way???????

Suzy,

If you find a parenting manual please can you pass it my way - I mean SHARE!! haha

It's funny, at this party I've just got home from, everyone there was saying how big my 3yr old is and how tiny my 6 yr old is. I'm now getting a complex as I don't think my son is big, he is tall but that's not the same. My daughter has always been small and so I know my son is bigger, but I never thought he was 'big'. He loves to eat, but his favourite food is fruit...Oh no, need to think this through properly...is he big? Surely not. May have to weigh him now and just see where he is on the chart....

xx

Happy

If he is tall he is going to be bigger than the other kids so please don't stress about it.

You know the problems we have with our weight issues so we can't pass that on to our kids. My youngest only weighs a little less than his brother but I think he will be stocky when he grows as he has that shape.

You know he eats properly and he is active so please don't stress about it. If you wanted to PM me a photo I will give you my honest opinion, maybe I should send you a photo of my son as well to compare as he is 3. He'll be 4 the end of July.

As I said previously I have not discussed my Go Lower diet with the boys as I do not want them to grow up with food issues, so please don't worry about your son.

By the way when I find that parenting manual I will gladly share it with all parents as we really do find our way as we go.

Thanks Suzy, I'm probably just paranoid as I have my issues with food and weight and maybe transferring them onto him... I hope not. But I'm sure your right. He does eat well and does exercise all the time. Although lately I have noticed that he likes to run to nursery rather than in the buggy which is a good thing, but he gets out of breath really quickly and wants to have a rest - maybe lazy, but now I'm thinking asthma as OH does suffer - now something else to think about...not thought about that until typing this! Need to discuss with OH...

xx

Happy

If you are worried about his health then take him to the doctor before you really start to stress. As you are just getting back into keotosis again you need to stick to Go Lower and you know stress will not help.

Can asthma start that young? As you say it may just be his short legs get tired.

Sometimes we take the buggy with us, like when we went to Legoland, but is was only to carry the drinks and lunch stuff.

At those times my youngest often asks to go in the buggy because he is tired!!! When I say there is no room to sit in it he walks quite happily with his brother and no more is mentioned so I really believe if we did not have with us he wouldn't ask.

If he really was tired he would keep asking and then of course I would let him sit in it.

Suzy,
My OH has asthma, albeit mildly, so am aware of it....Will see what happens...I do wonder if I am paranoid and with ketosis hanging over me and having an awful cold, could just be everything getting to me... Can't wait to get in to ketosis properly again, it's so much easier then...

Legoland - My OH and I are thinking of taking the kids over the summer or half term. Never been before - is it somewhere to go where you would stay over nite and then go back the following day or can you do it all in 1 day?

Keep losing
xx

I am sure you are letting things get to you as you are stressed and not feeling great.

If you are worried book him into to see the doctor, then you can put your mind at rest one way or the other.

Legoland is quite big with young ones. First I have to say the food was really expensive I think hotdogs were about £3.80 so I am glad I took all our food with. I even stuck to Go Lower all day by taking my raspberry snack bars and cooked chicken etc.

I am sure we missed quite a bit of it but that was because it was a bank holiday and we had a to wait quite a bit in queues. I suppose if we could have spread it over two days that would have been much better. We all enjoyed it which is the main thing.

Thanks Suzy, maybe we should look into going to lego land for 2 days...we've got some vouchers from tesco where the kids go free with 2 paying adults and my OH saw a deal for a hotel nearby - will have to look into it as we can only go during the school hols. Thanks for the tip re: food. Will have to think about what to pack then for the kids, OH and me...!

As to my 3yr old, I'm going to leave it for a few weeks as a friend did point out to me today that he has been full of cold and this will affect him - although I'm sure this out of breath business has been going on longer than his cold....will wait, watch and see. Thanks for the support.

xx

I am sure all will be well with your son and I am always here to try to be supportive whatever the problem is.

Don't forget you may also be able to use your Tesco rewards at any hotels if that is your plan for Legoland. Staying for two days I don't know how you will go about organising food as I did sandwiches for the family and stuck to Go Lower for me but I had it all in cool bags for the day so it was easy.

Thanks Suzy - we are looking into using our tesco clubcard vouchers for the hotel as well if that's what we decide to do....Last year we went to Drayton Manor on Tescos, the land of Thomas The Tank Engine - we stayed overnight and spent 2 days in the park.. The kids loved it. It was excellent and didn't cost us a penny...

If we do go overnight, I'll just chose the healthy options and keep as far away from carbs as poss, but prob not going until the summer, so got time to think about it sensibly -thanks though.

xx

Where is Drayton Manor? As you have just given us an option of somewhere to take the boys for a weekend in the summer. As we have all just been away and because we are going to NZ for a month at Xmas we will not be taking a proper summer holiday!

Is it expensive as I have quite a bit in Tescos vouchers. I must admit I prefer Nectar rewards as they just stay on the card for special treats. I sometimes use my Tesco vouchers whilst shopping when I would prefer to save them but then they run out..... as has recently happened to me.

I am still learning about which food are low carbs and will often call Go Lower for advice.

Drayton Manor is Birmingham way - Tamworth if memory serves me right. I think last year it was something like £7 per person in tesco vouchers per day....can't remember how much the hotel was in vouchers - but there was a hotel near by - think it was a Ramada Jarvis (but can't remember!) It was a brill w.end...kids still talk about it. We love Tesco - do eveything with them and the vouchers - always x4 them up - it's worth so much...

Like you, I'm always on the phone to Go Lower- can I have...What about ....?? Thank goodness they are so helpful and approachable... Not sure how I would cope if they weren't!

xx

Hi Happy,

Thanks for the info. Birmingam is not too far for a weekend so I will have to google it and find out more.

I was REALLY BAD today. I had some training at work this morning and it was sooooo boring I was literally falling asleep and the only way I could think to stay awake was to have some caffiene!!!

One can of coke later and I am hoping I have not affected the diet too much. It worked though and I lasted to the end of the session. I don't know why I felt so sleepy as I had a good nights sleep, I think it was just pure boredom as once the trainer left I felt fine and got on with my normal work!

The rest of the day I have been good so I am hoping as it was only a small blip I will be fine!

Back