Being big makes sometimes makes you invisible!??

Jemima Doll

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all dong well xx Just had an experience that annoyed me, it's not the first time and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced it???...basically I have come to the conclusion that being big makes me invisible to some people (mainly members of the opposite sex!). I was out on a walk with my Mum when who should appear around the corner but an old friend of my younger brothers, he is a bit younger than me, he knows me, he knows my Mum, he hasn't seen us for years, he said hello to Mum and started asking her how she was etc, I was stood right next to her(we had linked arms on our walk), yet he didn't even acknowledge me or say hello to me, I smiled and was friendly but it was like I was invisible! The whole thing only lasted 3 or 4 minutes but got me thinking.

Now I don't really care about him so wasn't upset that he didn't speak to me and if I'd really wanted to I could have spoken to him, but I did find it a bit annoying! I'm a reasonably confident person who is quite outgoing and friendly so it's not a confidence issue BUT I have come across this many times before, it's like because I'm overweight I have become invisible to certain people, and to be honest it's mainly members of the opposite sex for some reason. I reckon if I'd walked around that corner a size 10 he would have spoke to me without a doubt!!

I remember another occasion when I was out one night and funnily enough was stood with my Mum when a guy I had known for many years and had a huge crush on when I was younger approached and said hello to my Mum but once again totally ignored me, even though I went to school with him and had adrored him for years!!! Perhaps I'm imagining it, or does being big make you invisible to people sometimes, or maybe it just feels that way?? I feel sure that once I have lost my weight this won't happen, but we'll see. Rant over!!!:mad:

Definitely, and I don't really know why, but I think for some men it's down to if they don't want to sleep with you then you don't exist in their eyes?! But I've had this with women too, and when I last lost lots of weight the same women did speak to me again, so I can't even begin to analyse that one, lol.

I think we just have to remember that there are so many lovely people who don't care what size we are, and speak to us whether we're bigger or smaller, and simply not give the time of day to think about the minority who don't. x

I think you've hit the nail on the head Hipps!! totally agree about the men one - i think that is what i was feeling but didn't quite realise it... if they don't fancy you then you fade in to the background and become invisible!!! and actually when i thought about it I've had this with the odd female too for some odd reason, it's weird isn't it, and you say that when you lost weight they suddenly spoke to you again....Oh well their loss, and as you say there are enough lovely people who don't care about size that always want to know you. The whole thing is just annoying and a bit odd, still who am i to wonder why! x

If you think you are invisible now, just wait until you get old. I have a cloak of invisibility to rival Harry Potter!

HA HA....I can't wait for that LOL! But seriously it's their loss x

Back