Belly worries :-(

arcticmonkeys

Silver Member
Hi all :wavey:

I think by starting this thread the replies would be so helpful not only to me but others who probably have been too scared to ask my questions (as I have up until now).

I went shopping today whilst skiveing off of work (woopsie). For the first time ever I bought 4 tops, 2 of which I'm quite pleased with the other 2 I like but don't like them TOO much on myself. I also bought some leggings which I'm quite pleased with...all ready for Glastonbury. Its really weird not buying something black. In fact its weird buying something, I seriously NEVER shop. For a 20 year old I feel its quite sad because all my friends are obsessed with shopping, but still, thats me. I feel I should be over the moon about buying tops, but I'm not because I'm still not how I want to be, although it is keeping me going on CD but I am concerned about a few things.

I apologise for any yuck details I give you about myself now so prepare yourself anyone who reads this.

I'm currently at 13st 1lb and am 5ft 6. My next weigh in is on Monday so hopefully for the first time in ages I wont be a teen anymore. My worry is that I'm really concerned because as sophie2324 calls it my "overhang" is really...kinda...not to pleasent. I have rolls of fat and my middle one tends to hang out quite alot. I ALWAYS breath in and always have (can't wait till I get out of this exhausting habbit without looking as if I have a rubber ring around my middle lol). I also have lots of fat around my sides, especially where my bra strap falls.

Will this disappear with the persistance of this diet? Does it take a long time? I'm planning on starting at the gym in July but I don't want to over-do it. Will I need surgery to tidy up the area once I get to goal weight? ... See I don't want people to think I'm exaggerating because my friends have always told me that in the past at my heaviest, or lightest weight they've known me at. I'm an honest person I don't mince my words, my tires really are lkfdsjflksdj.

Sorry if this is disturbing to anyone, I couldn't believe I had a ticker with the weight I want to lose let alone putting my weight into a thread. I only hope no one I know off of this forum will track me down on here :(

Thanks for your time anyone who reads this. I know its not the most pleasent of threads but I disgust myself although I know I've put a lot of effort into this diet, I can't stop worrying about things...

Hope you're all doing well :)

ArcticMonkeysXx

There will be a certain amount of shrinkage but it all depends on the elasticity of your skin and whether you have a lot of weight to lose. Give your skin a fighting chance and slap on loads of moisturising lotion (I used the cheap'n'cheerful stuff from Asda/Tesco) on a daily basis. I have loose skin round my stomach but I have a lot of weight to shift and at my age chances are it ain't going to bounce back.But as the only folk likely to see me without my shirt on are the kids and Dragondrawers(and she is menopausal therefore psychotic most of the time) then I'm not too bothered.

Alex

I think if you persist with the diet and introduce exercise, you are young enough to make a difference as your skin will still have elasticity.

My 'belly apron' has shrunk, but at 39, the only way it will ever go is through surgery, which I will have when I have sustained my goal weight for a good 12 months from getting there x

See now (as an 'old' fogie -) i'd be more concerned about the whole toilet thing, in a field in Somerset! Enjoy Glastonbury (well Pilton where the concert is) which is near Glasonbury :) make sure you pack your wellies!!

Hiya ArcticMonkeys,

First of all, well done on losing 22lbs in just over 4 weeks! That's a fantastic loss and I hope you're feeling very very proud of yourself hun!:D:D

If I was you I wouldn't worry too much about your "rubber ring" just yet. You're only 20 and the chances are your skin will tighten up a fair bit naturally over the next year or so and you can help improve the look of it with body lotion as bigal says.

Once you start exercising you could ask for advice on how to help tighten up any areas that worry you.

I know what you mean about always breathing in, I do that all the time too, even more than I used to when I was fat:rolleyes: But I think that's because I now wear clothes that are much more fitted to my body, whereas before I'd only wear big baggy tops to hide my shape (they never did tho!) Lucky you being able to wear leggings too, my knees are almost the same size as my thighs! :(

Keep up the brill weightloss and you'll soon be wearing all those little t-shirts that your mates wear - you'll be clothes shopping all the time! :D

darling dont ever be ashamed by the weight you were
I was 27 st 4 and am happy to tell the world and his uncle now, do you know why I am happy to tell them, because i did something about it, i fought and am still fighting a bloddy hard battle , dont be ashamed 13 6 is not really that bad sweetheart!! [actually its my goal weight:p]and people will be wowed by how much you have lost, i thought people would be disgusted as i was disgusted with myself, but generally people are just shocked that I ever weighed that much as apparently I didnt look like I did
as for the over hang, mine is soooo much better already, 8 stones down and the rolls have nearly disapeard, i also had the rubber ring effect, I am fine now in clothes and when i go out socially i wear magic knickers just for my own self confidence, but apparently i look the same with out them as i do with
ramble ramble, sorry hope you get the gist of what I am trying to say
hugs
nat xx

Thank you everyone for your lovely replies. I'll reply to yours properly later once I've braved the thunder and lightening and gone to the shop for my fix of chewing gum and some chicken and lettuce :p

I'm just agreeing with everyone else really. Your skin is young enough to have it shrink down to size when you've lost you're weight.

I'm at the same weight as you now and have already lost 5.5 stone. Yes I have a belly but with clothes on i don't have an overhang or a tyre. Without clothes its a different story but i don't walk down the road without any on so its fine.

keep going hun you're doing really well

Jo xx

Hi there,

As far as the fat around the stomach area goes, scientifically it will only disappear when your body fat percentage reduces a lot! This can happen with a combination of diet and exercise. If your body continuously loses fat, there is no reason any fat should remain! I read this online and solaced myself as I completely feel like you do!

I started the diet at 13st 1lb and I am 5'6. Since I am small framed, my ideal weight should be 9st 3lb. Currently I am 10st 5lb but my belly has disappointed me big time! :)

I have shrunk overall but my body fat percentage is still very high! I was also told that it is one of the most persistent places for fat reserves and could be the last thing to come off!

As far as loose skin around the stomach area is concerned, I really don't know but as mentioned on this site, various people have had various experiences depending on genetics, age and general skin elasticity. I guess externally we can just help the skin by using the firming products, bio oil and toning exercises.

Do let us know how you get on as it will be an inspiration for me as well! :)

I started off at 16st 1lb... and my belly was a funny old shape...sort of like a B (<-------- Like that, but my lower 'pot' much bigger) I also had an 'overhang' and the skin of the crease under that would become quite red and sore. No matter what I wore, my 'tyres' were very prominant, and I hated it! Now, at 11st 13lbs (ish) my tummy has flattened out quite a bit and it no longer hangs down!!:D... You can still see I have a little belly, but it's so much better than what it was, I'm relieved. This was a real worry for me when starting the diet. I'm guessing that, as I lose more weight it will improve further...woo hoo! I know that I will never have a flat, toned tummy, no matter how much weight I lose...pregnancy has guaranteed that I will have a little jelly belly for life, unless I go under the knife of course! lol. But hopefully, as I'm only 24, my age will help bring my body back into to shape :)

Try not to worry, and let the diet take it's course. You'll soon start to notice your tum and any other problem areas starting to shrink, and considering your age and that you haven't had children (I'm assuming), your body should spring back well. :) I do as much exercise as I can to help toning, so this may have helped me quite a bit, so if you have the energy, def get down that gym.

Hope I've put your mind at ease... your not the only young'un out there with these 'problems' :)

Hi Mate, dont forget we are still young which means are skin has the collagen which gets less and less as you get older. So this is a good thing there are some good collagen moisterisers (cant spell today sorry) out there. Cant remember the name of one by them ppl that make that apriot scrub you shown me. Sorry rambling now.

Thanks everyone for your lovely replies. Taken me ages to getting around to replying to this thread myself although I've lazed about all day long!

I guess its just one of those things where time will tell, I appreciate everyones encouragement and good thoughts.

I'm definitely going to join the gym at the start of July (if there is no joining fee *prays*) so I guess with any luck this will help. A little wary though as I know more and more people who go there, and I kind of want to know no one (except Sophie lol) coz I get really embarrassed and wanna run away! Hate people seeing me exercise and stuff.. I am going to force myself though.

I'm always keeping an eye on everyone's losses etc, I just wanted to say a huge well done to you all. Its amazing how much will power everyone has, I think thats something that keeps me going. I swear I wouldn't be able to do this diet if it wasn't for this website :)

Oh oh, weirdly enough I had a free sample through the post from boots "Nivea - Good-bye Cellulite; Anti-Cellulite Smoothing Gel-Cream" with a sweet £2.00 off voucher. Might give it a go although I don't really want to look at my stomach to put it on :-S

The model's on the leaflet are all really pretty "slightly larger" ladies. Nice to see, even though it is for cellulite! Normally its some stick-thin model who has the best metabolism in the world and always will have!!!

Keep up the good work everyone and :thankyou: again for all your support

ArcticMonkeysXx

Hi there hun. I can soooooo identify with how you feel. I never tell anyone my weight. Even when I was younger and 11st ( I'm 5'5) although I didnt look too bad I still felt so out of shape.
When I was pregnant I hated being weighed and examined. I hated the attention I got and the fact that everyone was looking at my belly. Worst of all after having my son (through c section to make matters worse) I developed hypothyroidism and gained a lot of weight. I would have a condition where you have to be weighed regularly!
I totally have the same fears of people I know reading about me and try not to divulge too much info about my weight.
I've always had an overhang even at 11 stone. It seems some people are just unlucky.
All I'll say is that at least I'm doing something about my weight. I think that you should feel the same. You wait til your at goal you'll be itching to get a new wardrobe to wow everyone with.
Totally know where your coming from
Best of luck
Ceri

Hi there hun. I can soooooo identify with how you feel. I never tell anyone my weight. Even when I was younger and 11st ( I'm 5'5) although I didnt look too bad I still felt so out of shape.
When I was pregnant I hated being weighed and examined. I hated the attention I got and the fact that everyone was looking at my belly. Worst of all after having my son (through c section to make matters worse) I developed hypothyroidism and gained a lot of weight. I would have a condition where you have to be weighed regularly!
I totally have the same fears of people I know reading about me and try not to divulge too much info about my weight.
I've always had an overhang even at 11 stone. It seems some people are just unlucky.
All I'll say is that at least I'm doing something about my weight. I think that you should feel the same. You wait til your at goal you'll be itching to get a new wardrobe to wow everyone with.
Totally know where your coming from
Best of luck
Ceri

Hello there Ceri :)

Thanks for your reply. That is exactly how I am, but I think me and Soph have made it really obvious who we are if anyone comes onto this site now *prays, hopes and prays some more no one EVER does!*

Is everything OK with you now?? I do hope so.

I'm the same as you, I've had problems with myself in the past which involves Drs having to feel around my tummy and sides (wont say what coz it'll give it away even more who I am lol!) ... I've resolved this issue by never going to the Dr:) I HATE THEM. I hate people touching me altogether, well the tummy and sides - yuck. Last week when I went down poorly they had to assess me, I know it sounds dramatic but I wanted to die.

Hopefully CD can take all our worries away eh ;) guess we just need to keep at it.

I agree with the new waldrobe, thats one of my motivations to do this diet. I've never EVER dressed how I wanted to since I was young. We were always quite poor so got what we were given and made do - quite happily. Now I'm older and earning I don't want to dress the way I'd like to because of the weight, so I guess thats my main goal really. That and meeting "the one" haha.

I wont ask how much you weigh but can I ask how far are you from goal Ceri, you don't have to answer though, I wont take offense :p. We need to make sure we conquer this overhang ish I say!!!

How's the diet going today, you all set for the weekend?

All the best,

AMxx

Hi arcticmonkeys. Not online yesterday was at a friends.
Diet is going good thanks. Dont mind the weekends too much. Just make a muffin on a Saturday night thats my treat!
I've got 9 lbs to go until I'm at healthy bmi. (You could work out my weight from my height and the fact that I'm 9lbs overweight!!!)
Although it doesnt seem like a lot I am really squat looking and am quite curvy which makes me look bigger. So I want to lose at least another stone so that i am a few pounds into healthy bmi.
I dont have a shred of collagen in my skin!
Even before having a baby I had stretch marks on my hips, breasts and inner arms (bingo wings!) I've always had the hanging belly! Despite the fact that I was not that big. Some of my friends have been a lot heavier than me but their skin and tummy's have been fine. I'm just unlucky I guess.
If I manage to lose all the weight, and depending on whether or not I'll have another child, I would seriously consider having a tummy tuck and a boob job (they've sagged since breastfeeding!yuck!) Being ashamed of your body is a terrible thing isn't it. I've got to try and realize that the only person who sees me in all my glory(!) is my hubby. Who loves me no matter what.
I hope that we can both resolve our body image issues because it's a real bummer!
Hope your o.k and that the diet is going well
Ceri

I spoke to my GP on Friday about this and im 52 years. Because i am a mountain bike x.c. racer and train hard he has told me tp persevere as it will go in time. It has to be better than surgery as the risk of mrsa is too great for me.

Back