Benefits of weights/strength workout

kelz89

Hiyaaa, i know adding weights to your work out is good, but what are the actual benefits of them & how many calories do you burn? x

When you work out with weights, you're building lean muscle tissue. The more lean muscle tissue you have, the faster your metabolism goes :) It's difficult to work out the burn, because after weight training, you carry on burning for quite a while (as the muscles tear and repair, using energy), and it will naturally depend on the type of weight training you're doing (e.g. doing dead lifts will burn a lot less than swinging around a 5kg kettlebell) and your weight. If you want an accurate reading of the calories burnt whilst doing the training, then invest in a HRM that calculates this - such as the Polar FT7. What I do is use My Fitness Pal website to estimate the calories I burn whilst doing Strength Training (as it factors in my weight). Hope this helps!

I wouldn't worry about calorie burn when it comes to weight training really, as there are so many variables. Just focus on the fact that, by having more muscle you will burn more calories at rest and that for a period after weight training, you will burn more calories than you would otherwise too.

Back