Best diet?

lose10stone

Is there a "best diet" or do you think it's down to the individual and what suits etc?

I have never followed a proper diet before and have chosen weight watchers, simply because a friend joined. I am getting on fine with it but after reading some diarys I have seen people lose a stone in the first week on others :eek:

People will say there is no "best diet", but personally I think a slower, common sense approach based on calorie control and exercise in conjunction with a healthy diet is best. I think Slimming World and WW do this quite well and are good for people who need a bit of direction. I would love to have dropped 5 and a half stone in 6 months but I would doubt my chances of keeping it off. Not to say that no-one who loses weight quickly will keep it off but I think statistically it’s not that likely. Ultimately, for a diet to work it has to be sustainable in the long term. I’d rather be fat and eat what I like than be a constant yo-yo dieter, tormenting myself about every morsel I put in my gob without achieving either good health or weight loss in the long term.

People will say "Oh, I've tried every diet and nothing works", meaning they've tried every fad diet and never the only thing that tends to work in the long term - calorie reduction and exercise over an extended period.

Yeah I have been thinking the same myself, I never weigh so I don't really notice the weight creeping on. I am going to have to get down to my goal weight and weigh once a week for a year after and maybe set myself a targetof say 6lbs and if I go over that then I know I have to start my diet again and get it off.

Note to self....Buy scales :eek:

I like calorie counting :) it's free haha and really it's the basic principle behind every diet isn't it? Burn more than you eat. Rosemary Conley looks very interesting tho. Low cal, low fat and you do a work out at every meeting.

People will say "Oh, I've tried every diet and nothing works", meaning they've tried every fad diet and never the only thing that tends to work in the long term - calorie reduction and exercise over an extended period.
How judgemental :confused:

The problem for a lot of people is that overeating is a psychological problem - and so they tend not to succeed on diets: because diets don't address the causes of emotional eating etc.

All weightloss diets work if you can stick to them. That's just a fact.

But it's a big IF - and different diets suit different people - so it's understandable that someone would say that x diet didn't work for them.

Weightwatchers is essentially a variation on calorie counting. You need to weigh and measure and this in turn teaches portion control. Weightwatchers or calorie counting are a great way to learn nutritional information, and if you've never dieted before that's good information to have.

Slimming world follows slightly different principles, and acknowledges that not all calories do the same things to your body - it allows unlimited quantities of certain foods - depending on what else you've eaten that day. for that reason it appeals to those who don't want to be too tightly controlled and have to weigh and measure everything.

GI and low carb diets (including Atkins and dukan) work by limiting foods that are processed very quickly by your body. these foods make you feel hungry faster, and are easily converted to fat. More extreme forms of these diets will put your body into ketosis - a state where you don't feel hunger and your body is burning stored fat for fuel.

Diets like slimfast, and special K etc are essentially calorie counting, but also limit the opportunity to make bad diet choices, as two meals a day are completely controlled.

VLCDs are total food replacement diets, where you live on nutritionally complete milkshakes, soups, mealbars etc, provided by a company such as Lighter Life, Cambridge Weight Plan, etc. These require massive lifestyle changes, and do have some undesireable side effects. Therefore are generally a diet of last resort for people who have not managed to overcome their compulsive behaviours around food, and therefore found less drastic diets unsuccessful. VLCDs tend to work for this category because they give very fast results, and because they allow the dieter to 'abstain' from conventional food altogether.

I could never do a VLCD diet, I wouldn't last 5 minutes lol

i wouldn't recommend it unless and until you've found nothing else works for you. it's a pretty serious thing to do to yourself.

Great comments about VLCD's Spangles.
It worked for me as i just couldn't get my mindset right just losing 1 or 2 pounds a week. I lost interest too quickly and it was too much of a mountain for me to climb. These diets do work and some people have no probs. I suffered massivly with my stomach when i started eating again, so much so that i thought i had gall stones. It sorted itself out eventually but was awful. I also sheaded hair after i stopped which is a common side effect. No bald patches or anything, it was even, but scared the life out of me. It stopped after a couple of months and you wouldn't know any different now.
Not to say that no-one who loses weight quickly will keep it off but I think statistically it’s not that likely.
Have to disagree there though, putting it back after a diet such as this is no more likely than any other diet. I think as it is lost quickly, for those who do put it back on it's just all done in a shorter space of time, so seems more noticeable.
Iv'e read about some people on the VLCD diets who are back again for the 2nd and 3rd times as they couldn't keep it off but chances are they would have followed the same path after finishing WW.
For me, losing it quickly is what keeps it off. I still get a surprise when i look in the mirror sometimes and i thought the mirror on holiday was one of those that thinned you as i couldn't believe i looked like that! I refuse to put it back on as i actually like myself at the moment :)
Stick to whatever you can do best. Some of us are patient, some of us are not.
I could never do a VLCD diet, I wouldn't last 5 minutes lol
You would probably surprise yourself! I found it a heck of a lot easier than trying to decide what to eat everyday and the constant loss was a real inspiration.
I do agree that they are probably the final resort though, purely because of the memories of the tummy pain and the hair loss! x x

Not to say that no-one who loses weight quickly will keep it off but I think statistically it’s not that likely.

Not true. There are just as many people regain their weight after losing it on WW/SW as there are on VLCDs

How you lose the weight has NO bearing on your success when you get to target. Its what you do once you get to target that determines your success

Have you seen how many threads there are on SW/WW from people who are back for the umpteenth time and restarting again

I really do think its down to the individual and what works for you. I personally find calorie counting + exercise the best for me (now that apps have been invented to count calories for you!) as I'm rubbish at sticking to regimes, however other people like something a bit more structured. Whatevers best for you :) x

Getting your head sorted I think is the best diet lol Once your head is sorted you can do anything!!

I'm a firm believer now in exercise and healthy eating to lose the weight and then 80/20 when you lose it with exercise. At least then you have the experience when you get to goal of the foods you should and shouldn't eat to stay slim. I don't think VLCD's give you the tools you need to eat healthily. And with VLCD's I felt so deprived, not consciously, that when I finished it I went straight back to old eating habits because I hadn't changed any patterns at all and the transition from VLCD to eating was just too sudden to allow me to learn new habits!

Just my experience :D

I was the opposite. I lost shed loads on WW and then put it all back on again. I think being on a VLCD has made me look at things a lot differently its made me reasses my relationship with food and also why I over eat.

I think having a break and getting my head round things has been the absolute best decision I ever made in relation to dieting. I think when I do start introducing food again Ill make much more sensible choices than I did

I was the opposite. I lost shed loads on WW and then put it all back on again. I think being on a VLCD has made me look at things a lot differently its made me reasses my relationship with food and also why I over eat.

I think having a break and getting my head round things has been the absolute best decision I ever made in relation to dieting. I think when I do start introducing food again Ill make much more sensible choices than I did

I knew you were going to say something like this Sandy but for me the proof will be in the doing and not in the thinking you will.... last time I thought I had it all sewn up... after losing weight and putting it all back on there was NO WAY I was doing that again... but guess what I did and sooo quickly.

The key is to make sure you have a plan and a good plan at that for when you start to finish the VLCD like SW or WW and going to classes so you can't fool yourself that you didn't lose weight this week but its grand cos you have already lost X amount so you will be grand for another week... if that makes sense??

Believe me I KNOW the mindset you are in right now and its a great place to be cos you feel unstoppable but the reality all to often is that the VLCD stops, the old habits creep back in and the weight goes back on!!

I have done a lot of head work since the last time.... not that I had personal issues cos I had dealt with all of them but I had wiring issues for want of a better word lol I had so many instilled thought processes that had to be re-configured for me to be able to believe I could do this and to keep it off and I really do believe this time I will keep it off. Time will tell I suppose.

:D

none of that's wrong. depending on which research studies you read, between 80-95% of successful dieters (defined as having lot more than 10% of their original weight) will regain their weight within 2 years. That's depressing as hell, and I bet every single one of them believed they would be in the 5-20% who succeed, long term.

The odds are stacked against all of us.

But there has been absolutely no evidence that you are more likely to regain your weight after a VLCD. I actually don't think that figure is surprisingly good in regards to VLCDs. I think 5-20% is about right.

What I do think is that it's shocking that 80-95% of people who lose 10% of their weight on a 'sensible' diet, be it SW, WW, CC, or good old healthy eating and exercise, will have gained it back in <2 years. Proponants of these diets (including most of the medical profession) like to imagine that a period of time spent exercising moderation and making good choices will leave you more likely to continue in those habits ever after. And the reality is that between 80-95% of people don't. Having had that period of time doing wise things to fuel your body gives you no more of a long-term positive behavioural change than spending a (shorter) period abstaining from food altogether.

There are loads of reasons for that, though. People's food behaviours - as I've said before - are psychological. Emotional eating, self-harming through force feeding, using food as a treat, a reward, a crutch... those are psychological issues (often lifelong), and with the best will in the world, are likely to be deeply entrenched and require significant, individualised attention before we can hope to overcome them.

Then there is the fact that dieting of any kind, in itself, is 'disordered eating'. Attempting to run our bodies on a calorie deficit literally means we have to ignore the fact that our bodies require more than we are putting in them. Studies have been conducted, restricting people's calories to 1500 (mild, in dieting terms). At the end of the period of a couple of weeks, the group whose calories had been slightly restricted increased their calories significantly beyond what the contol group - given free choice to eat what they liked throughout the period - had been consuming. What's more, they continued this binge period for far longer than the actual diet had been in the first place. All the participants were a healthy weight to start with and had no history of dieting of disordered eating. Diets are a temporary eating disorder and they can have a culmulative effect, causing long term eating disorders (a repeated history of dieting is heavily implicated in Binge Eating Disorder, and adult-onset bulimia). But dieting is the best method there is for weightloss. It's quite possible to do loads of exercise and be obese... you have to restrict your food to burn off meaningful quantities of stored fat in the short-to-medium term.

And then there's the role of leptin - leptin is a hormone that should send a message to the neurotransmitters that control appetite, telling us to stop eating. In fact, the more fat cells you have, the *more* leptin you should produce... except thatpeople who have been obese develop leptin resistance. In other words, they never get the signal to stop eating. They CANNOT rely on their body sending them the signal to stop. And this leptin resistance takes time to reset - between 6months and several years after reaching goal.

It doesn't mean you shouldn't try - and for every 100 successful dieters, at least five of them will make it, long term.

I lost 4 stone in 4 months on lighterlife and then had to do the refeed programme where I lost another half a stone. I started the refeed programme before I was at goal because of medical problems (not because of the diet).

I then carried on eating using the tools I learnt during the refeed programme and basically counted calories and lost nearly another 3 stone.

I have been maintaining for quite awhile now and I finished the refeed programme back a year ago!

The only time I gained was on my honeymoon back in august and then again on a weekend away. Both times I list the weight again within a week and a half.

So I can honestly say that if you ease yourself back into food with a refeed programme you can mist definitely keep the weight off and lose more if you want.

The reason I could lose this much weight was because of what I learnt at lighterlife meetings. Without delving into why I gained weight and sorting my head out and my relationship to food I wouldn't have been able to do it. I couldn't have just calorie counted from the beginning, I had too much to lose that I wouldn't have stuck to it.

It's all down to the individual and different diets suit different people but you can gain weight back after any diet, however quickly or slowly you lose the weight, if you go back to eating badly.

I think you learn plenty on VLCD's. You learn that you can control yourself. You learn when you are hungry, not just wanting to eat. You lose the taste for certain foods too. I was an avid fan of blue (full fat) milk prior to Lipotrim but now i can only really stomach the 1% one, everything else tastes too creamy. I tried numerous times to 'like' skimmed and the 1% ones prior to that diet but to no avail. Also with jacket potatoes. I know i could eat one without butter now but before, no way!
If you do the programme with a reputable company they teach you how to eat afterwards, you are not just left to it. I know i could still go and see the pharmacist who i got it from every week if i wanted to. I've not been abandoned!
The relief to someone who has battled with their weight for a long time when you see it dropping off quickly is indescribable. And to get to a happy weight and feel so good works to keep it off for some of us.
I may try Exante next month but only for a month. It's purely the side effects that are stopping me, i'm not sure i can cope with the hair loss again! x

I have lost and regained weight on sw and even ww umpteen times! Starting over and over! I honestly think (with me') the only difference (if I did put weight back on) is that I didn't get to target in the first place on ww/sw

Saying that, being on a vlcd has already (on day 6) helped me to realise when I 'eat' for the sake of it/out of boredom/emotional reasons - and there has been no counselling with Cambridge - this is what I've seen myself since having the shakes etc.

Slimming clubs don't really teach you that, its more - if you've got to eat/hungry eat xyz whereas when you're not eating/not hungry you can analyse/try to come to terms with why you ate so much in the first place.

Well, for me anyway.

Starlight said:

I agree 100%!!! xx

Im struggling tonight with not eating but its emotional not hunger. One of my colleagues is off to McDs for food if I was on WW Id be putting my order in despite the fact I DONT NEED IT. Being on a VLCD Im thinking more about the signals Im getting and I know this is just a comfort thing and nothing more, and itll pass. Thats a realisation Id never have had on a 'conventional' diet

Oh guys I 100% agree with all the stuff you learn on a vlcd... I learnt it all too.... but it wasn't, for me, long term learning it was only temporary while I was on the diet.

I am NOT dissing VLCD's, they do work, some people manage to keep the weight off... as is the same for all types of diets.... so what is the common denominator here??? Diets??? Are they a good idea at all???

I don't have the answers but I know that I feel different doing it the way I'm doing it now with exercise and eating foods that give me energy and nourish my body. Time will tell if it is a long term success but I definitely feel different. I am doing weekly hynotherapy for relaxation also and she has started to put the suggestion into my head that this is now a long term life choice rather than just a short term weight loss goal.... I think that may be the key. Most of us use whatever diet is is for short or long term weight loss. We forget that longer term we have to go back and live life after the highs and motivations that come with losing weight.... being prepared for this for me is the key.

Sandy big hugs to you on this very sad day xxxx

Back