Best exercise for those who are ...shy of exercise

Lucy_B

Silver Member
Hello everyone.

I'm so confused by what exercise to do/how much of it I should do. I have a number of DVDs but I lose interest rather quickly, I dislike swimming (despite being able to swim perfectly fine I don't like it) and I cannot afford the gym. I hula hoop, I have a proper weighted hoop but I need something more and when the weather picks up I will cycle.
Is buying a wii a good idea? Do they actually work up a sweat? Xx

I LOVE zumba. Really gets up a sweat but is so fun it doesn't really feel like a workout. I literally do an hours zumba with a huge grin on my face :) You can get zumba games for the wii I believe. x

I bought a wii and the zumba for it - have never even had it on tbh. If you find something you like, then there are you tube vids for everything! I do kettlebells and an ab workout. You don't have to kill yourself with hours of chronic cardio, it just makes you burnout, get injuries and give up - plus get hungry. Lower level, more intense exercise 40 mins (including 10 warm up and a cool down) 4 times a week will help you build muscle and burn fat not sugars.

I'd say just do something that you'll enjoy and feel comfortable doing. You certainly don't need to exercise to lose weight, so do what you feel will best achieve the level of health and fitness you're aiming for - no point toiling away at a gym if you're going to hate it! A Wii might be a good option, then you can go at your own pace in the safety of your own home, lol. :) xx

The Wii is great but I always find that after a few days I get bored and need to move on to something else. I also work harder on the Wii f I am competing against someone else but maybe that is because I am so competitive. One thing tat really works or m s to sign up for something lie 'race for life' and that gives me the focus needed to get me ou f e house to walk,jog or run. It s also for a good cause. I find that if I run I don't need to nnk about wh I eat....howeve ove the winter it is difficult o run as there are no street lights and t is when I always put the weight on.

Today I have been out fr a 2 hour walk and used up 500 calories

Thank you for your replies :)

I love to go for walks, like today I went for an hour long walk but I rarely have time as I volunteer/uni/ work and only have 1 day a week off. I usually get Sundays off so spend it with family/friends.

I love the stairs idea, it's free and I don't have to leave the house. And I am seriously considering buying a wii, would it be a wii fit I need?xx

Can you borrow a wii to test it out? Most people I know who got the fit one just let it collect dust along with exercise bikes and treadmills! I prefer to run, and combine that with exercise programmes like Insanity, and Jillian Michaels/Bob Harper. I like a good mix of cardio, HIIT and weights for all round fitness and muscle development, but I'm weird, I love exercise!

I meant to add that I like to do about an hour a day of exercise, which could be running or a combo of DVDS. On my days off I happily do an hour in the morning then something in the evening, say half an hour of cardio or some yoga....

My friend is lending me her wii fit to see how I get on. I really like the running up and down the stairs idea. I have it a go yesterday.
I struggle to attend a class as I struggle to find one at a time I can go. I did enjoy Zumba though, has anyone got the Zumba DVDs? If so are they any good?xx

I would recommend Wii Fit & just walking in general helps a lot and doesn't feel like exercise! :)

I bought a three pack of rosemary conley dvds on amazon for quite cheap. They are easy to do.

Just an update - I finally got the wii fit board out of the cupboard and set it up last night. I only tried the wii fit boxing, yoga and hula hooping but I really did not enjoy it. Absolutely not my idea of fun at all - I'd much rather be outside or at a class or doing kettleworx at home than that awful thing. So definitely try before you buy!
But whatever you do choose once you enjoy it, it's so much easier - sometimes it can take a while to realise you enjoy it - when I started cycling I used to curse until I had half of my 7km route done, loved the second half of it, hated the beginning but loved knowing it was making changes to my fitness more, so kept at it. (But will not cycle in the gym, it's so tedious!)

I have tried the wii (don't have wii fit board yet) and I loved it :) I played tennis, bowling. Not quite exercise but hoping to get the board soon.
I like cycling but I'm definitely a fair weather cyclist haha x

I loooooooove the Wii. Its the most fun a family can have with a bit of plastic.

I struggle with exercise because of kids/work/uni/housekeeping/sleep deprivation just pick one!!! But the Wii gets us involved as a family. We compete on the Wii fit games for highest score, cheer each other on. We do Wii Zumba togeather and compete!!! just dance is very competative too!!!!

Its just another tool in the exercise box. I try to mix it up too. I hate swimming but try and go once a fortnight! might do come rosemary before work, some zumba or Wii fit after work. Might go for a walk at lunchtime. Attempt to run at weekend. Just do some stretches before bed. It all helps.

I like your hulahoop though was it expensive? where did you get it?

I speak as a person who has done it all in the past. Now I take a half-hour walk most days of the week. It really helps. I do it without music and leave my phone home (or at the office if it's a workday). It clears the mind and is just enough.

Back