Best Patches

Good Luck :eek: I stopped about 10 years ago and it was the best thing I had ever done !

Learn to recognise the triggers which make you reach for the ciggies. Classics for me were; making or taking a phone call which promised to be stressful or chatty; getting into the car; having a cup of coffee or feeling bored.

I never tried patches - could never get them to stay alight :rolleyes: but did get one of those inhalers which I only used for a couple of days. Expect a tickly cough. It is the cilia (I think they're called) starting to recover. They are amazing microscopic hairlike sensors which normally wave around, pulsate and filter air to the lungs and blood. When you smoke, the nicotine makes them lie flat and not do their job. The tickle is them starting to stand up and work again !

Drink loads of water and as much fresh fruit and juice as your diet allows. Don't substitute food for fags :cool: which is easily done. I used to buy a packet of those strong tasting Fishermans Friends, break them up into tiny pieces and put a bit on my tongue. I always felt they had a stong acrid almost smokey taste :p

Good Luck, it isn't going to be easy, but you can do it and you will be so glad you did :D

Thank you so much! I REALLY appreciate the support. This will be my last attempt & first success. I quit for 19 days last year. Bummer. This year will be different. Thanks again!

Hi Leslieann, a couple more things I thought about. Some people like to save the money so they can see it mounting up, in a big bottle or whatever. I couldn't do that as it was a constant reminder and you really need to try to put smoking out of your head. Start to think like an ex-smoker. Don't be afraid to tell anyone you'd prefer they didn't smoke in the house / car. If it's raining, offer them an umbrella !!

If anyone offers you a ciggie, just say no thanks, I don't smoke, rather than I'm trying to give up. Say that and you just see their devils horns appear as they try to derail you.

Billy Connolly has a name for people standing outside pubs and offices smoking - Snoutcasts ! :D

Just think how good you'll feel when you are no longer in that group !

Keep me posted on how you're doing. xxx

SNOUTCASTS! That is hilarious! Thank you so much for your support.

I would like to know more about the fishermans friends you mentioned earlier. I am really concerned about weight gain. I have worked so hard to lose my weight, sure don't want to gain it back! (I actually used that for an excuse not to quit smoking ) Now its time to learn self control- no smoking & no binge eating. Good grief!

Talking with people like yourself who have accomplished this means more than I can say.

my quit day is 4-27-09!

Thanks again! :)

Back