Best place to buy fish?

3106Catherine

Silver Member
Hi,

My hubby spent years declaring that he hated fish - he would eat the finger variety but apparently that was different to a normal cod in breadcrumbs :rolleyes:

Anyway he now loves fish - all varieties.

I have always liked fish and of course its great for the weight loss, but it can be pretty pricey. I buy the Birds Eye simply something or other salmon fillets which are frozen and dead handy for a quick tea with some veg.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where they buy fish, reasonably priced? We dont have a fishmonger other than in Tesco.

There are places you can buy it online and get it delivered but I think theyre pricey?

Any ideas/suggestions on either places to buy or types of fish that are cheaper would be fab. (has to be fillets hubby will not touch anything with a bone in it!!)

Do you a fish van which visits your area? Most areas do have one which does the "rounds". It's a great way to get fish and you'll be able to talk to someone who knows all about fish.
Have a look in the local paper or ask around, I'm sure you'll have one.

PS - for future posts like this, please would you post in the off-topic section, the post will most likely be moved if the mods see it in here.x

No problem, I wasn't sure exactly where this would fit in.

No I dont think we have a fish van.

Iceland sell bags of frozen fish & they're reasonably priced & nice also XX

Have to admit I've never been in farmfoods so I will investigate that. Iceland I hadnt even though of doh!

Depends if you want fresh or frozen.

another thought.... do you have a local market? They often have a fresh fish stall on there. Our little market has a van and the big market has a fish stall.

It's one of those things, you never see things until you start looking so it may well be there!

I love fish - monkfish is my favourite of all, very meaty and lovely wrapped in pancetta.

I've bought fresh fish in the reduced bit before and then when I've come to use it (after defrosting) it's been nasty.

Tuna and salmon have been okay but I wouldn't buy white fish reduced.

Hi,

My hubby spent years declaring that he hated fish - he would eat the finger variety but apparently that was different to a normal cod in breadcrumbs :rolleyes:

Anyway he now loves fish - all varieties.

I have always liked fish and of course its great for the weight loss, but it can be pretty pricey. I buy the Birds Eye simply something or other salmon fillets which are frozen and dead handy for a quick tea with some veg.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where they buy fish, reasonably priced? We dont have a fishmonger other than in Tesco.

There are places you can buy it online and get it delivered but I think theyre pricey?

Any ideas/suggestions on either places to buy or types of fish that are cheaper would be fab. (has to be fillets hubby will not touch anything with a bone in it!!)

I notice you are in the midlands. Pretty much land-locked. Here on the coast we have several different fish quays to choose from. Much cheaper and literally just landed by the fishermen.

You can get fish mail order though.

Iceland sell bags of frozen fish & they're reasonably priced & nice also XX

I particularly like their smoked haddock. Very tasty

There is pretty often fish in the reduced section of shops...I tend to buy it and freeze it...have got Tuna steak tonight which I got in Tesco's for a pound!!

Also in tesco, their bags of frozen fish tend to be £5 for 2 bags, which gets you about 10 bits of fish xx

Gosh that is so cheap. Can not wait to be doing a British shop each week though I am sure there will be things I miss from here.

I notice you are in the midlands. Pretty much land-locked. Here on the coast we have several different fish quays to choose from. Much cheaper and literally just landed by the fishermen.

You can get fish mail order though.

Much the same for me. I am so spoilt fish-wise as I live close to a fishing port. When the fish is landed it is auctioned off for distribution all over Europe. The auction house has a shop attached to it so we can buy such a variety of fish straight from the sea.
I wonder will be able to do that when we are living in Cornwall.

ah bromsgrove, just down the road..

we had a fish man come roud to us once a month, brought your orders up from southampton or somewhere.. I can get the number of my mom tomorrow if you want..

That would be great ColJack thank you

Back