Beware !!!!

fillymum

synful soul
I received this email this morning.
Fortunately I know that our friend Gay is just across the valley in her home here in Spain.

Hi,
How are you doing today?I am really sorry to bother you with this email but i just want you to know what i am facing right now.I am sorry that i didn't inform you about my traveling to West Africa for a Seminar,i am presently in Nigeria now but unfortunately for me i lost my wallet which contains my money and other valuable things in a taxi.I can easily access the internet for now but i do not have access to phone.I want you to assist me urgently with a loan of 3,000 Euros to sort-out my hotel bills and to get myself back home. I have spoken to the embassy here but they are not responding to the matter effectively,i promise i will pay you back as soon as i return.Kindly let me know if you can be of help so that i can send you the details you will use to send the money to me here in Nigeria.
Much joy
Gay

Even the way it is signed is how Gay would sign her emails.

Her computer has been accessed by a con merchant in Nigeria, the world capital of scams.

She has a hot mail account and today is changing it to google. Inconvenient perhaps but the only way to stop this from happening.

If you research this type of scam you will see that hot mail and yahoo are the most vulnerable.

I too am very wary of any email that contains the word Nigeria. I'm also too broke to be able to help out a friend who genuinely needed help so I wouldn't be responding anyways. Thankfully the only email addresses I have stored in my hotmail account are an ex boyfriend and a few former friends. Whew!

I doubt many people who know me would ask me for £3,000!! They would know that I simply don't have that kind of cash, being a student and all!!

I once got one saying that some prince of nigeria had chosen me to help him to pay some money into some account and i would recieve over a million pound back or some crap. I thought it was very funny haha:) xxx

^^ haha...

bush on heart fm was saying his dad'd account had been hacked into and was sending everyones messages saying he was in prison somewhere abroad and needed thousands for bail! LOL

i am always very wary anyways but its such a pain the ass when this happens because they can be convincing. x

Fortunately all my friends friends know her so well they know she would die before sending an email asking for money even if she was stranded on the moon.

I have to laugh when we get the ones asking for bank account details, anyone who can money out of my account is a better man than me lol !!!

We had a real live experience that did end up with the arrest of a whole gang of Nigerian con men.

We had a for sale sign at the end of the lane and on the main N332. One Sunday the dogs went berserk. We went to the door and a real Al Capone looking black man was stood there, black suit, white tie, black and white shoes, asking to see the house and stables etc.

I will keep it brief.

Lots of things rang alarm bells. He had walked down the lane to the house, it is a very long lane....no car to see the registration number. He called the horses cows !!! So many things didn't add up.

He arranged to come back with a friend. He came back....friend was dodgy too. He explained that their money was tied up in a Swiss bank account and as it had come out of their country illegally it had to be treated with chemicals to regenerate all the blank bits of paper into money. He demonstrated with some paper and chemicals. Hey presto, real money from blank bits. They wanted us to get a huge amount of money in real notes from the bank and in exchange they would give us 20% over the asking price in blank bits of magic notes that would transform to real money with the chemicals.

What they didn't know was that after the second visit I had contacted a friend in special branch. We had made a note of every mobile number they had used to call us and DH got the registration number of the Mercedes they used when he insisted on giving them a lift to the car which they had left parked away from the house.

Long story short. They were all arrested, they had cheated vulnerable people all over Spain.

There was a lot more to it than thus I have abreviated it to keep it short.

I have to admit I was quite scared of repercussions for awhile after.

Wow beware indeed and your last story gave me chills. I am so glad you were able to stop those scummy shysters though so many people are naive :(

I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the Nigerian World Cup Team was so ashamed of his team's performance in this year's competition that he was offering all supporters who had travelled to South Africa a full refund. All they had to do was send him their bank details.

:D

Is this the joke of the year lol !!!

Wow Sue, that's quite an experience to share! Well done for keeping cool, not falling either for the money or hidden threat, and getting these criminals taken care of. You must've been quite quite scared.

Good job, girl! x

I was Kirstin. I was terrified when I was on my own as our house is on it's own. I was afraid that one day someone with a gun would appear at the door.

I am wondering what would have happened if you had replied that you too were stuck in Nigeria and that your needs were greater because.......:D

Probably just egg them on tho eh? Idiots.:mad:

Back