Big Bev's Gastric Bypass

bev_erage

Hi, my names Bev. I am 51 years old. I've been big all of my life, but fit and busy, until stopped in my tracks by adult onset diabeties. As a consequence I found myself on insulin 5 times a day, tired, run down, putting on even more weight. Life seemed hard.

Then after a visit to my diabetic consultant at the hospital, my doctor suggested that I had a gastric bypass which would cure my diabeties and into the bargain I'd lose weight off my 22 stone frame.

So, I went for it. And here I am, 2 and a half weeks post op, I've lost one and 3 quarters of a stone, and I'm not really sure weather I've done the right thing. Cause its hard. Emotionally, physically, every which way really. I hope somebody speaks to me cause I think I need a bit of help. Someone to stand by me.

Bev

:welcome:

Hi Bev,

Gastric Bypass is major surgery and it will take some time for you to feel the full benefit of the operation.

I was watching on television Fiona Foster's documentary on the fight patience have to go through in order to get the surgery you have just had.

Tonight's Fiona Foster meets the morbidly obese patients who have been told they’re ‘not fat enough’ to qualify for the operation – including one woman who weighs 34 stone

Tonight | Episodes | 34 stone, still too thin - ITV News

One of the leading surgeon's was saying that patients who have this type of surgery do find that their quality of life is very much improved.

It is natural after any kind of surgery to be feeling down and out of sorts, but in time you will heal...

Well done on losing almost two stone...from here on you will begin to notice it in yourself.

Sending hugs and love:hug99:

Love Mini xxx

Hi, my names Bev. I am 51 years old. I've been big all of my life, but fit and busy, until stopped in my tracks by adult onset diabeties. As a consequence I found myself on insulin 5 times a day, tired, run down, putting on even more weight. Life seemed hard.

Then after a visit to my diabetic consultant at the hospital, my doctor suggested that I had a gastric bypass which would cure my diabeties and into the bargain I'd lose weight off my 22 stone frame.

So, I went for it. And here I am, 2 and a half weeks post op, I've lost one and 3 quarters of a stone, and I'm not really sure weather I've done the right thing. Cause its hard. Emotionally, physically, every which way really. I hope somebody speaks to me cause I think I need a bit of help. Someone to stand by me.

Bev

Ello Bev love:D

My name is Zoe I'm 32 and I had a gastric bypass in march 2007 10 months later and 7 1/2 stone lighter my quality of life has increased beyond recognition it is the best thing I ever did for myself, no regrets at all;) give yourself time to recover fully, it is major surgery you have had but I can assure you it gets easier, it just becomes a way of life:)

Feel free to holla if you need support;)

Hey there.

Thanks for the support, really appreciate it after yesterday. Today I'm feeling much better, just really tired and like I've been hit by a train.

Yesterday I had my first 'dump'. I had some pork casserole sauce with rice and it left me in so much pain. I wish I had a Post Gastric Bypass Bible so I knew what to expect and any advice on how to prevent such painful episodes. I'd be really grateful if anyone could give me some advice about this dumping syndrome, as it really scared me yesterday.

Hi Mini, thanks for those thoughful words, they calmed me down when I read them, and realised I have been really lucky to be given such a great opportunity to change my life, its just hard to see what the end product will be when I'm having a bad day :). I have sky plus-ed that program and will watch it tonight.

Hi Zoe, wow 7 1/2 stone in 10 months! That really is an inspiration, and the kind of thing I really need to hear right now. Have you experienced dumping? I could really do with some help, as I'm scared about having another one and find I'm not wanting to eat just in case it happens again!

Today I have had some corn flakes, about a fistful, it left me really full and now I'm finding it hard to drink anything at all cause my stomach just gurgles and cramps all the time, which is hard as my dietician told me to drink a lot and I'm finding it so hard to do.

Also, after losting 1 2/3 stone in the first fortnight after my op, I'm struggling with the fact that I now haven't lost anymore in the last week. At all. Is this normal?

Thanks so much for your support :)

Bev

Bev just take it easy, you will soon learn what you can and cannot tolerate:) try a lil of something first, eat slowly and see how that first bit makes you feel before you carry on, you'll soon learn to listen to your body instinctively;)

Bev, I don't know anything about the surgery stuff but I do know you have come to the right place for support, encouragement and kindness.

Your poor bod has had a right shock and it seems to me it is still very early days recovery wise. Be patient with yourself, you have a wondeful new future ahead of you. In a matter of a few weeks you will build up your strength and stamina again and life will look really rosy.

Meanwhile, fantastic weight loss already and the op is already behind you!

Chin up, we are all here for you.

Love

Barb, how lovely are you?! I guess its just these early days getting me down but when there's nice people like you out there wishing me well it just makes me feel stronger.

Lots of love

Bev

It is hard after any surgical procedure, what you have been through was a major operation and your body is adjusting. Many people feel very low after surgery so give yourself time to settle down. Zoe is definately the person you want to talk to as she has been through the same surgery.

Hope things settle down soon

Hi Bev,

Good to hear that your feeling a bit calmer today:hug99:

Hopefully you will always find someone here on MiniMins to help you along on one of those off days...you know your not alone:)

After surgery: The first three months

You won't be allowed to eat for one to two days after the surgery. Then you consume specific foods according to a diet progression. The purpose of the gastric bypass diet progression is to help in the healing process, minimize stress on surgical sites and allow time for your body to adapt to the new eating patterns.
The following are common phases in the gastric bypass diet progression:
  • <LI class=doublespace>Liquids — foods and fluids that are liquid or semiliquid at room temperature and contain mostly water, such as broth, juice, milk, strained cream soup and cooked cereal. In most cases, you stay on a liquid diet for one to two days. <LI class=doublespace>Pureed foods — foods with a consistency of a smooth paste or a thick liquid. Pureed foods contain no distinct pieces. The pureed diet is generally followed for three to four weeks, or as recommended by your dietitian or doctor.
  • Soft foods — foods that are tender and easy to chew, such as ground or finely diced meats, canned or soft, fresh fruit, and cooked vegetables. You usually eat soft foods for eight weeks before progressing to eating foods of regular consistency with firmer texture as recommended by your dietitian or doctor.
During the diet progression, you eat many small meals a day and sip liquids slowly throughout the day (not with meals). You might first start with six small meals a day, then progress to four meals and finally, when following a regular diet, decrease to three meals a day. Typically, each meal includes protein-rich foods, such as lean meat, low-fat dairy products (yogurt, cheese) or eggs. Protein is important for maintaining and repairing your body after surgery.
How quickly you move from one step to the next depends on how fast your body adjusts to the change in eating patterns and the texture and consistency of food. People usually start eating regular foods with a firmer texture three months after surgery, but it can occur sooner.

The rest of the article from the Mayo Clinic Gastric bypass diet: What to eat after weight-loss surgery - MayoClinic.com

Here an article on Dumping Syndrome written by someone who has gone through this experience.

The most efficient way to avoid dumping is to maintain the strict regimen practiced during bariatric infancy: follow the four rules. Eat protein first making sure it comprises one-half of every meal. Avoid snacking. Avoid all sources of simple sugar; and yes, this includes cookies, cakes, candy, sodas, ice cream and sorbet. Sip water throughout the day. When you practice this eating behavior your blood sugar will not fluctuate and you will not dump. Most patients, who crave a taste of something sweet, have learned they can tolerate a bite of fruit at the end of the meal. Proceed with caution and discover what works for you.

You can read the full artcle by clicking on this link below...

Dumping Syndrome: The Dirty Secret Gastric Bypass Patients Keep

I hope these help.

Love Mini xxx

Hi this is Bev from freezing cold Sheffield. Feeling a lot stronger 2day. Managed 2 eat half a salad sandwich on nimble bread then this eve had about 5 mouthfuls of sardines, potatoes and cauliflower- it was the most scrumptious meal i've ever eaten, and it took about 25 minutes to eat that. I must admit I was waiting with bated breath afterward, for fear of a dumping session. Thank goodness that seems to have been an acceptable meal. My kids dont know whats hit them everything's changing, I hope I get to the stage one day where I believe this operation was worth it. love Bev

Dear Bev,
firstly, I would like to say well done you for making the tough decision to have the bypass- having been through it last march, I know full well that it is not the easy option- it takes courage & determination to go through with it and you should feel really proud of yourself for getting this far!
My own experience in the first 6 weeks was that I became very close friends with my sofa & hot water bottle! I didn't move very far for very long, it took all that time to build up a little strength. After the 6 weeks were up, I seemed to perk up alot quite fast, which was a godsend, as I was feeling completely useless! (I have a 6 yr old, so I'm sure you can imagine what its like!)
To date, I've lost 5 stone and have come to a halt at 17 st, which is obviously not as low as I'd hoped for, but I could do alot to help myself though. Hopefully as you regain some strength and see some health benefits, you can look back and see that it was a good decision for you- I'm sure you will in time.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask me anything you like- if I can help you I will.
Take care.
Lou.

bev erage. started reading your thread. i too am diabetic. i'm hoping this decision will help my diabetes and help to have a life again as i have a lower leg amputation from diabetes and a quake doctor. has this helped your diabetes? hope recovery is going well for you.
newbie-susie

Back