Back for one more try

loulalou

Hi Everyone - or anyone!

I am posting here as back in 2013 I had some success with following intermittent fasting and slimming world. I posted everything here. I basically lapsed after I got impatient and started following a VLCD. I left this forum weighing 12st 9lbs with only 1 stone 9 lbs left to lose, and over the course of the next 8 years my weight has been mostly over 14 stone, and at times even up to 16 stone. I so regret that VLCD (I know it works for some I'm not knocking it). I just wish I had carried on slow, steady and sustainable!

I am currently 14 st 8lbs.

I want to try again. I have had some success this year as I've lost 1 stone since Xmas. I did this via calorie counting and 16:8 fasting. Just lately my weight loss has stalled. I found it really useful having a diary last time so I think I will post here to record any thoughts and progress.

Losing weight is so hard, such a mental and physical battle. I have tried so hard this year and I am sad that I've only lost 14 lbs. I want to lose another 3 stone 8 lbs which seems like mission impossible.

I'm going to try with 5:2 fasting as the 16:8 is not yielding much results. I can't decide whether to combine with SW or just keep it simple.
I tend to go off the rails a bit at weekends so though SW might keep me under control a bit more. I do find it hard to fit into my social life though.

I will be weighing in weekly on Wednesday's if anyone is interested. I also have a treadmill now and would love to get up to 15/20 mins of jogging non stop. I can only manage 2 minutes currently!

Welcome back.,

Why not start off with the couch to 5 km on the treadmill. That is what I am doing from 1st July.

Thanks Mary!

Yes i have completed week one already. Good luck with it!

Welcome back. I read some where on here by one of our users but I cant credit it to them as i can't remember who. But it said Being overweight is hard, losing weight is hard, maintaining is hard. Pick your hard. I find this true. Why is it so easy to put on but hard to take off:oops:

Good luck with your weight loss journey and reaching your goals along the way

Yes I agree - the only part that isn’t hard is eating too much! Thank you for your kind words.

I decided for now to combine SW with IF. I am not going to be too strict with IF as I figure following SW will be enough to lose weight, but the reason I want to carry on with the fasting is that it really reduces my appetite.

I did SW all day yesterday so my WI day will be wednesday. Lost 1lb already!

Welcome back. I read some where on here by one of our users but I cant credit it to them as i can't remember who. But it said Being overweight is hard, losing weight is hard, maintaining is hard. Pick your hard. I find this true. Why is it so easy to put on but hard to take off:oops:

Good luck with your weight loss journey and reaching your goals along the way
@purpleorc that’s my signature and I say it to myself every single morning. I want my hard to be maintaining - I just have to get there 😩

@loulalou the IF combined with SW sounds like a good plan. I follow a 14/10 IF and count WW smartpoints. I don’t do stricter IF or make drastic changes and I would never do a VLCD because I know personally, that all that stuff would lead to overeating and binging at a heartbreaking level. So I plod along and try to keep things slow and steady. Best of luck on your journey.

@purpleorc that’s my signature and I say it to myself every single morning. I want my hard to be maintaining - I just have to get there 😩
When i read your foot note it resonated for me as it was so true. What ever phase you are in each are hard in their own way. I often think of this phrase if I am having a tough day. It helps me remember I don't want to be morbidly obese. I want to be in a normal BMI range. A long way off yet. I am creeping ever closer to my half way point to getting my health BMI

@purpleorc yes, once you have a problem with food I think all stages (gaining, loosing or maintaining) are all consuming and incredibly hard. I, like a lot of the posters here, obviously have not figured out how to overcome my food problems - long term can you ever figure this out? Unfortunately I think probably not 😞, the stats are heartbreaking with regard to regain over the long term.

However, for me, I need to try keep the gaining to a minimum and never try to get my BMI really under 30 as I know then the regain will be even more devastating. I want my parameters to be between 14st and 16st but my ultimate goal is 14st and a BMI of 29.8. I’m hoping that this will avoid the inevitable health problems that are hurtling towards me.

It’s all so hard.

@purpleorc yes, once you have a problem with food I think all stages (gaining, loosing or maintaining) are all consuming and incredibly hard. I, like a lot of the posters here, obviously have not figured out how to overcome my food problems - long term can you ever figure this out? Unfortunately I think probably not 😞, the stats are heartbreaking with regard to regain over the long term.

However, for me, I need to try keep the gaining to a minimum and never try to get my BMI really under 30 as I know then the regain will be even more devastating. I want my parameters to be between 14st and 16st but my ultimate goal is 14st and a BMI of 29.8. I’m hoping that this will avoid the inevitable health problems that are hurtling towards me.

It’s all so hard.
I think I am always going to have a complicated relationship with food. Food is my drug of choice. Happy or sad I reached for food.
I have many health issues not all related to food (Sjogren's and MS) but I am certain that all my health issues would benefit from me keeping off the weight. Like you I would like my BMI to get below 30 which will put me at less risk for lots of health issues. I don't know how low I can go as I can't exercise like many can as I am disabled and at times my body will just not allow for any form of exercise. but I do what I can when I can. I really want to do a little gentle exercise at the minute but I have bursitis in my hips and I am on strict rest until it gets better. But last time I saw my doctor he was really pleased with my weight loss and he took me off blood pressure medication as my blood pressure was now if anything on the low side. He told me whatever I was doing it was working and keep going. I came out the surgery on cloud 9 lol

I think I am always going to have a complicated relationship with food. Food is my drug of choice. Happy or sad I reached for food.
I have many health issues not all related to food (Sjogren's and MS) but I am certain that all my health issues would benefit from me keeping off the weight. Like you I would like my BMI to get below 30 which will put me at less risk for lots of health issues. I don't know how low I can go as I can't exercise like many can as I am disabled and at times my body will just not allow for any form of exercise. but I do what I can when I can. I really want to do a little gentle exercise at the minute but I have bursitis in my hips and I am on strict rest until it gets better. But last time I saw my doctor he was really pleased with my weight loss and he took me off blood pressure medication as my blood pressure was now if anything on the low side. He told me whatever I was doing it was working and keep going. I came out the surgery on cloud 9 lol
@purpleorc food is my drug of choice too, I would never even think of turning to any other vices when I’m up or down or anything really! Sometimes I wish it could be alcohol or cigarettes but it’s just not.

I’m sorry you‘re disabled, it makes your losses so far a phenomenal achievement. And coming off blood pressure medication is amazing. A lower BMI will reduce overall inflammation and will no doubt reduce flare ups so hopefully you’ll be able to exercise.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how to deal with things when it goes wrong, the last time it went wrong for me it was caused by complacency and a pregnancy. At the moment all I can come up with is no matter what weight I’m at I move to emergency maintaining. By this I mean I forget about weight loss goals etc and just try not to gain.

@loulalou I’m super sorry as I seem to have high jacked your thread. I’ll move back over to my own diary now! 🥴

@purpleorc food is my drug of choice too, I would never even think of turning to any other vices when I’m up or down or anything really! Sometimes I wish it could be alcohol or cigarettes but it’s just not.

I’m sorry you‘re disabled, it makes your losses so far a phenomenal achievement. And coming off blood pressure medication is amazing. A lower BMI will reduce overall inflammation and will no doubt reduce flare ups so hopefully you’ll be able to exercise.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how to deal with things when it goes wrong, the last time it went wrong for me it was caused by complacency and a pregnancy. At the moment all I can come up with is no matter what weight I’m at I move to emergency maintaining. By this I mean I forget about weight loss goals etc and just try not to gain.

@loulalou I’m super sorry as I seem to have high jacked your thread. I’ll move back over to my own diary now! 🥴
A few years back I lost 8 stone and got to around 14 stone. But I fell at the first hurdle maintaining. So steadily but surely I put the weight back on plus a few more pounds for good measure. So this time round I did a lot of research into which programme I could stick to long term because whatever I chose it was going to be for the rest of my life. I am so determined this time to succeed. I have a great deal of motivation this time. As about 18 months ago I was virtually bed bound ulcers on both legs, lymphoedema in both legs and two bouts of cellulitis. I had to have help for virtually everything. My legs leaked 24/7 and I left puddles wherever I was. I hit my rock bottom. in so much pain from the ulcer the biggest especially which is 4 inches by 5 inches gave me pain like I never experience, I had lost what independence I did have. Spending 2 hours a day dressing my legs. I decided there and then I had to lose the weight. But roll forward to now ulcers healed, Lymphoedema under control so no more leaking like a tap and cellulitis gone, In 8 months I have lost 8 stone. Life is easier now that I have lost this weight and I am sure it will get even easier the more I lose.

My apologies to loualou for taking over your thread I think I get carried away when I type lol

Haha no problem - its all relevant! We are all in this weight loss struggle together.

Love reading your chats ladies don't apologise!

Honestly I'm 42 and I have lost and re-gained weight so many times - I dread to think what I've done to my metabolism. Over the last few years I have managed to stay below a certain weight, but only by trying a million different things but not really making any real progress. All its done it stopped me getting bigger.

I have had a 'succesful' SW weekend. Now by this I mean on my terms. I knew I had a party to go to on Friday night. I knew it would invove alcohol, buffet, cake etc. There weas no point in me trying to factor that into syns, just doesn't work! So I decided to take Friday as a flexible syn evening. Not the whole day - only the evening. The next day I was straight back on it and did not deny myself any syns even though technically Frida night I probably had enough for half the week!

Today I weighted myself and I am another 1lb down and official weigh in is Wednesday.

Love reading your chats ladies don't apologise!

Honestly I'm 42 and I have lost and re-gained weight so many times - I dread to think what I've done to my metabolism. Over the last few years I have managed to stay below a certain weight, but only by trying a million different things but not really making any real progress. All its done it stopped me getting bigger.

I have had a 'succesful' SW weekend. Now by this I mean on my terms. I knew I had a party to go to on Friday night. I knew it would invove alcohol, buffet, cake etc. There weas no point in me trying to factor that into syns, just doesn't work! So I decided to take Friday as a flexible syn evening. Not the whole day - only the evening. The next day I was straight back on it and did not deny myself any syns even though technically Frida night I probably had enough for half the week!

Today I weighted myself and I am another 1lb down and official weigh in is Wednesday.
I think a few of us can relate to gaining and losing over the years. I know now I am menopausal it is harder this time around coupled with the fact i can not exercise like I used to due to health issue. I do a few Pilates moves as instructed by my physio strengthening my leg and core muscles

Fingers crossed the scales stay kind on Wednesday official weigh day.

Thanks @purpleorc - yes I'm sure I'm peri-menopausal which does't help with weightloss. Part of the reason I'm so annoyed with myself for not getting on top of my weight issues earlier in life - everything is harder as you get older. At least I have the benefit of wisdom?! Pilates sounds great I've often wanted to try it.

Well anyway I was SO SO happy today as I'm now 14.3! So I lost 5lbs this week. I'm over the moon at that as my weight has been stuck for weeks so SW was obviously the kick up the bum I needed. Especially happy as I had one 'felxi syn;' evening and two meals out where I had to guess the syns (although I did stick to SW friendly dishes such as pasta and sushi).

This week I'm not aiming for much. I've set my goal as 1.5 lbs but I doubt I'll lose that as I'm pre-menstrual and usually go up a couple of pounds. Really enjoying the SW meals I have been having and only had to make a few minor tweaks (less alcohol for a start!).

Thanks @purpleorc - yes I'm sure I'm peri-menopausal which does't help with weightloss. Part of the reason I'm so annoyed with myself for not getting on top of my weight issues earlier in life - everything is harder as you get older. At least I have the benefit of wisdom?! Pilates sounds great I've often wanted to try it.

Well anyway I was SO SO happy today as I'm now 14.3! So I lost 5lbs this week. I'm over the moon at that as my weight has been stuck for weeks so SW was obviously the kick up the bum I needed. Especially happy as I had one 'felxi syn;' evening and two meals out where I had to guess the syns (although I did stick to SW friendly dishes such as pasta and sushi).

This week I'm not aiming for much. I've set my goal as 1.5 lbs but I doubt I'll lose that as I'm pre-menstrual and usually go up a couple of pounds. Really enjoying the SW meals I have been having and only had to make a few minor tweaks (less alcohol for a start!).
Like you wished I had become wiser earlier so I had my weight issue more under control. Now I did pilates as part of my physio because I couldn't achieve regular physio moves. I can't believe the daily exercises I did for approximately 10 to 15 minutes a day had such positive results my right leg is so much stronger and my core muscles have strengthen up. It made simple tasks for me much easier. I will never be 100% but definitely much better.

I have cooked several of the sw meals from the site. We particularly like a chicken and vegetable curry and Bolognese to name a few. We went out tonight with family I had been saving syns every day for a week. I was hoping to have a jacket potato but alas they had run out of. So chips it was with a lean steak and salad, hoping some of the saved syns cover some of the syns consumed by the chips.

Like you wished I had become wiser earlier so I had my weight issue more under control. Now I did pilates as part of my physio because I couldn't achieve regular physio moves. I can't believe the daily exercises I did for approximately 10 to 15 minutes a day had such positive results my right leg is so much stronger and my core muscles have strengthen up. It made simple tasks for me much easier. I will never be 100% but definitely much better.

I have cooked several of the sw meals from the site. We particularly like a chicken and vegetable curry and Bolognese to name a few. We went out tonight with family I had been saving syns every day for a week. I was hoping to have a jacket potato but alas they had run out of. So chips it was with a lean steak and salad, hoping some of the saved syns cover some of the syns consumed by the chips.
I think thats what you have to do isn't it, just make the best choices you can at any given time. Its impossible to be in control of your food 100% of the time which is why I have been disheartened with SW before. I'd feel like giving up if I had to go off plan, whereas now I'm telling myself I am on plan and just making the best choices I can. At home I'm being super careful and having 7 syns and under everyday - so that if I do end up eating out of the house I have a bit of leeway.

Thats amazing that you've seen such differences with only 10/15 minutes of pilates. Just goes to show that keeping it at is what makes the difference, not going in too hard and giving up beacuse its too hard!

As predicted I'm already half a pound up with bloat, even though my food has been 100% on point. Frustrating but thats a woman's body for you, we work month by month not week by week as slimming world would like!

Back