Binge Eating - whilst depressed.

fatstitcher

The reasons behind my binge eating are simple to identify, I eat when I am depressed..and herein lies the tale of my weeked...
:vibes: With the circumstances of Bens birth (born at 28wks weighing 2lb 1oz, in hospital for 5 months) and the subsequent Cerebral Palsy diagnosis a yr later, I find January a very difficult month, as my depression seems to get much worse. I know to expect this but it still catches me out, and usually it manifests itself in an eating binge, which following on so close to Christmas is not good.

This year I thought I had not sucummbed but last week I started getting the symptoms that i recognise and I wasn't able to combat them, I struggled through work all week although I was sent home early last tuesday with an upset stomach (another stress issue), and I was really down Wednesday, thursday & Friday, it took all of my strength to stop myself breaking down all of the time. Around this time my eating of so called comfort foods (crisps/chocolate/white bread etc) increased so much so that on Friday and Saturday when I was preparing the food it was a case of one for the table and one for me :thinking2:

I have become very good at hiding my true feelings behind a smile and pretending there is not a problem, so no-one in my family knows what I am feeling, not even my hubby.

I am hoping that as today is Bens Birthday :whoopass: I will be able to draw a line under this years downhill slide. We are having another mini party this evening (got to use up those leftovers!!) but I will stick to salad, couscous and chicken drumsticks I think, something lite.

Thanks for reading and listening.

Michelle

No wonder you find this a difficult time - my thoughts go out to you, they really do.

Although I have never had to face real depression I know how it feels to eat out of stress, upset, anger etc. I still haven't managed to learn how to deal with these times 100% but I do find that distracting myself somehow - going for a walk, having a bath or keeping my fingers unusable by doing my nails can help. Have some healthy filling SW friendly foods on hand - potato wedges, pasta and sauce, mac and cheese - so you feel like your having something lovely and comforting without any, or at least very little, syns.

Take care
x

*hugs* Thats awful to go through, and with january ebing such a dark and depressive month, i can imagine that with all this, it doesnt help. Im sending you massive hugs and positive vibes. I think you need to change the way you feel about january. I suggest you write a list of all you have to look forward to, your achievments, how far youv come.. and how your a proud mummy to your beautiful little boy.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My son is disabled and I think that I accept that I grieve for what might have been, for what will never be and for the child I thought that I was going to have. As much as I love my son, it was a big shock that he wasn't the perfect, healthy child that I was expecting. For you, January is the anniversary of a kind of bereavement, the only way to move on and break the cycle is to accept that the memories and strong emotions of that time will always hit you in January. Accept their place in your life, but allow them only a fleeting hold on you and try to get over the re-lived shock without belittling the effect that time has had on your life every day since, not only in January.
It's very difficult, I hope you can feel more positive soon.

You really been through it havent you (((hugs))), moving forward have you thought about using a light box to help with depression ? Google Lumie... I've been using one this year since the clocks went back and it does help. Only an idea. Take care of yourself x

hugs it can be tough with depression and using food as a mechanism to deal with the hurt you are feeling. I would suggest you see your GP and ask about cognitive behavioural therapy - I have personally had this in the past and teaches you to deal with the negative thoughts and gaining the power to control your responses to situations :)

The reasons behind my binge eating are simple to identify, I eat when I am depressed..and herein lies the tale of my weeked...
:vibes: With the circumstances of Bens birth (born at 28wks weighing 2lb 1oz, in hospital for 5 months) and the subsequent Cerebral Palsy diagnosis a yr later, I find January a very difficult month, as my depression seems to get much worse. I know to expect this but it still catches me out, and usually it manifests itself in an eating binge, which following on so close to Christmas is not good.

This year I thought I had not sucummbed but last week I started getting the symptoms that i recognise and I wasn't able to combat them, I struggled through work all week although I was sent home early last tuesday with an upset stomach (another stress issue), and I was really down Wednesday, thursday & Friday, it took all of my strength to stop myself breaking down all of the time. Around this time my eating of so called comfort foods (crisps/chocolate/white bread etc) increased so much so that on Friday and Saturday when I was preparing the food it was a case of one for the table and one for me :thinking2:

I have become very good at hiding my true feelings behind a smile and pretending there is not a problem, so no-one in my family knows what I am feeling, not even my hubby.

I am hoping that as today is Bens Birthday :whoopass: I will be able to draw a line under this years downhill slide. We are having another mini party this evening (got to use up those leftovers!!) but I will stick to salad, couscous and chicken drumsticks I think, something lite.

Thanks for reading and listening.

Michelle

I was diagnosed with clinical deppression only 4 weeks ago so i know what your going through. Some of your behaviour such as hiding behind a smile reminds me of my self. When i spoke to my doctor about the fact i could smile and was quite a happy go lucky person but then would switch and be totally foul or cry all night long and do you know what she said." the fact you can put on a smile even at the hardest time shows me that you will be ok"

So stick with it hun! my life has its up and downs and some people on here know this, but honestly your the only person who can change the way you feel. I know its hard to do and I'm still having a hard time and i'm a hypocrite for saying your the only one who can change it as i prefer to sit and not change the way i feel, but i want you to feel better! i like sitting and wallowing and i know when the time is right to pull my socks up i know i will.

take care anytime you want a chat i'm always here.

Back