Bit contentious - A Night Out

LipoLisa

No longer a redhead though!
:break_diet:I wasn't sure whether to post this because I would feel a little bit gutted if all the responses I got were the ones that would put me on a guilt trip. However, I am going to have faith that some of you will understand and just give constructive advice.

Going on from that I do understand that the best thing to do is to 'not do it' but I am a grown up and can make decisions. It is views I am seeking on how best to deal with the decision I have made.

I am going on a night out with a girlfriend around Easter time. We will be drinking. I have read up enough to know that it is not a good idea to still be in ketosis and have alcohol - so I intend to come out of ketosis to cover this point.

I also understand that I will potentially put myself back a week or more on my target and that is fine.

I have had a few discussions about how best I can deal with this - and what works best FOR ME. I have found on LT that not having to think about food works extremely well.

Because of this I thought the best way for me to deal with my up coming night out would to NOT do a re-feed in preparation, as I am more likely to get back into food and not back onto TFR.

So what I am planning is a planned 'slip up'. If I am going to slip up I may as well not feel too guilty about it and try to be as practical as I can be. So without judgement what are your views about the meal I should have to bring me out of ketosis so that I both enjoy the meal and can drink alcohol more safely.

My thoughts were a high protein low carb meal - steak and salad. But that might not work.

Or to have a steak & chip dinner at the lunch time on good friday, and then another carb snack before going out on the town in the evening.

Another option was to have something like fish and chips before going out...

What do you think?

:break_diet:

A one day organised blip would work better for me to get straight back on the wagon the next day. Just want advice about the meal or meals I should have.

Last edited:
Stick tot eh lipotrim refeed menu and start it 3 days before you drink, so you have slowly taken your body out of ketosis over three days and you might then miss the inevitable water gain youll get if you just wap yourself out if you get me... and have a good one... i did the same last year for a weekend away and couldnt get back on tfr but here i am two weeks in this time and i reckon it can be done x

Thanks tasha, but a re-feed is exactly what I have said that I am NOT going to do. I don't want to be eating food for three days, because I will then just continue to eat food.

If I get an inevitable water gain - then so be it. I won't put on a whole stone in weight because of one day/evening.

I am trying to organise a planned 'slip up' so want meal ideas.

Hey Lisa It might be best to avoid carbs - stick to the protein and the veggies. You probably wont be able to eat lots anyways because your stomach will have shrunk. Sticking to the protein and veggies mean that you can still partake of a fab evening but you are minimising any "damage". Eating the chips could take you down the road of "i've eaten some so might as well eat some more".

Good luck in your choices though - as you say we are all adults here and if that is the plan that will keep you on track then go ahead. As you say you will only be delaying your goal by a week or so.

Thanks curvy girl. I was thinking about sticking to just protein but was a little concerned that that might keep me in ketosis?

Any thoughts on that? Or is it more important that I have some food in my stomach before drinking than to be out of ketosis?

Lisa x

You could have some higher carb veg, like tomatoes, peas, carrots etc, rather than the chips. Maybe even some nuts. That way you will have some carbs and hopefully enough to keep you out of danger when you are drinking.

I understand your train of thought with the one blip, I would be the same.

I think the biggest danger is after you've been drinking, the late night kebab, the fry up for the hangover etc.

Have fun and hopefuly you will be straight back on the lipotrim.

Mmm dont think that it will keep you in ketosis specially if you want to come out of that - the quickest way would be to eat carbs of course lol.

Personally I would like to have some food in my tummy for the drinking so maybe have a planned blow out day or two, enjoy the food but just be aware that it might had to come back onto TFR - hope your willpower is really strong :D

apologies, i misread.. well id defo go with chicken breast, sweetcorn (high in carbs but healthy) and a green veg.. maybe a small side of potato as youd wanna be out of ketosis i think x

Thanks very much ladies that has given me some thoughts. The eating of the chips with the steak wouldn't really be an issue for me because I never really ate chips much before LT anyhow. I didn't have issues with food at all, just diets lol!!

So maybe better to have a steak and jacket (going out for this meal remember) at lunch time and then some steamed veggies (have in the freezer) before going out in the evening.

I have some ketosis stix so that I can check status.

My will power is strong, and no opportunity of a fry up in the house the next morning - non of those products are ever in my house. But there is definitely the 'when drunk trip to the takeaway' possibility and i'd usually opt for pizza!! but it'd be a massive pizza so maybe I should opt for the chips instead at that point - if that does happen.

So would lunchtime meal be better?

Lisa x

If I were u have an omlette the night before instead of an evening shake - It still keeps u in ketosis so put some peas in it and put milk in tea that day then have chicken or steak with salad . They say not to drink in Ketosis but atkins diet doesn't say too much about it other than Vodka and diet coke have minimum carbs . At least you won't take forever to get back into ketosis, so watch out what you fanc nibbling on when u get drunk lol- I've done it myself in the past , I'm sure it won't harm u too much if it's a one off!

Whatever u chose have a good night
:)

Hey the omlette idea is a good one, with sweetcorn maybe!

I will drink vodka, and instead of the usual diet coke am going to try it with soda water! Probably won't be able to eat and drink too much anyway.

One thing I do have in the house - eggs and tinned tomatoes.

If you are not prepared to do a proper refeed before drinking alcohol you are putting yourself in SERIOUS danger. Regardless whether you eat a meal before hand.

If you jump straight into eating a carb like potato/chips/rice/pasta you are going to fill up your glycogen stores extremely fast and could put on as much as 7lbs!

Is that something you really want just for the sake of a night out?

My advice, refeed properly for atleast a week. Youve less chance of gaining weight (most do actually still lose in refeed week) and then you are safe to drink alcohol.

If you are going to be in a situation where you will be drinking, decide before hand if you will drink, how much and what. Ensure you eat properly beforehand – drinking alcohol on an empty stomach is never a good idea.

The key points here:

alcohol consumption can stall or halt weight loss
fat eaten while consuming alcohol will be stored as fat
alcohol lowers inhibitions often leading to poor food choices
One drink may affect you as if you've had three drinks.
drinking while in ketosis can cause horrible hangovers.

LipoLisa - my advice would be to do a refeed for a few days before and enjoy yourself properly as i'd be worried about the alcohol.

I'm in the same boat myself. On St Paddy's day i'll be heading to a big football match in Dublin and i'm worried because nobody (except for my girlfriend) knows that I am doing LT, and as much as I intend to stick to LT on the day, i'm worried I may crack whilst i'm there...

If you jump straight into eating a carb like potato/chips/rice/pasta you are going to fill up your glycogen stores extremely fast and could put on as much as 7lbs!

Is that something you really want just for the sake of a night out?

My advice, refeed properly for atleast a week. Youve less chance of gaining weight (most do actually still lose in refeed week) and then you are safe to drink alcohol.

Thank you for your input Summergurl, however the 'sake of a night' out is a little judegmental. I do obviously 'really want' otherwise I wouldn't have bothered posting in the first place.

I just thought from here that when people have a slip up and feel really bad about it they get sympathy and encouragement - yet for me I understand myself well enough to know what works for me and therefore looking for that same encouragement.

I've already said a re-feed will not work for me.

Anyhow, I'll let you all know how I get on because I've now got a few good ideas about how to do, so am pleased I put this thread up.

Lisa x

There's a htread on the lipotrim page called "drinking..." read the post that I put in that. PLEASE READ THAT POST.

You'll read a bit more about alcohol when in and coming out of ketosis. I dont want to re-post things again and again but please please please please read it. I've looked into it a LOT and you will find it helpfull. Also...

You do realise that you can have a meal and stay in ketosis right?

LipoLisa - my advice would be to do a refeed for a few days before and enjoy yourself properly as i'd be worried about the alcohol.

I'm in the same boat myself. On St Paddy's day i'll be heading to a big football match in Dublin and i'm worried because nobody (except for my girlfriend) knows that I am doing LT, and as much as I intend to stick to LT on the day, i'm worried I may crack whilst i'm there...

I know how u feel last weekend I had a 60th party on fri and a christening on sunday where everyone was drinking except me. I was with family and NOBODY even questioned why I wasnt drinking. My fiances bday is the day before paddys and we've cancelled a meal twice cos I just dont want to ruin what Ive worked so hard for (2 weeks haha u'd swear I was on this for years!!) then we're going out on paddys day a tradition with our mates and if Im asked im simply going to say Im on antibiotics and I cant drink..... No one questions that and then theres no explaining to drunk ppl which is sooooooo hard!!

Hope u dont crumble, best of luck and enjoy the day

People on atkins drink and they're in ketosis?
I suggest you have atkins style meals the day of your night out,

Have fun!!!

I wasnt being judgemental, many on here know me as a stick to the rules girl and i get my opinion across as an when needed.

Im merely advising you.

Of course you know what works best for you but many people on here, me included have gone on nights out whilst on TFR and stuck to it.

Just like i said, be careful. It really isnt advisable to just have a meal, have a drink and then hop back on. Expect a weight gain if you do that. Also, you could put yourself in danger.

Read the thread on here about alcohol and TFR. Not good.

As mentioned, read my post in the drinking section for why not to drink. And if you went out and had a green salad and steak then you could easily stay in ketosis. When doing keto before i used to eat lots of green salad on a night (nothing other than GREEN remember that.. no tomatoes or anything such) and steak without and salad dressing or anything else.

As long as you stay away from carbohydrates you will stay in ketosis. You wont gain much weight back. maybe a lb or two from the actual weight of the food in your body. But you could still stay in ketosis and not loose almost a full week over one night.

Just me but I can't afford to spend weeks extra on the diet being a student and it costing me almost £50 a week so I'm sticking to it and if I ever did feel the need to eat could eat things such as:

Chicken coated in zero carb cheese.
Steak
3-4 Big tins of tuna

And all that would still leave me in ketosis. Then just start back low calorie again. Most diets actually recomend a weekend of eating a lot, you put weight back on but loose it quicker straight after due to confusing your body.

Up to you what you do but i would seriously recomend reading my post on alcohol. Infact. Im just going to re-post what i said here....

Here's the lowdown guys, from a LOT of research....

alcohol does increase the release of ketones they are not good, because alcohol slows down your metabolism and will definitely not help ketosis.

Alcohol acts through the following ways:

A. It reduces coronary artery spasm in response to stress

B. it increases coronary blood flow

C. It reduces blood pressure

D. It reduces blood insulin level

E. It increases estrogen levels

In the collective experience of ADBB, it happens to some folks that they feel the effects of alcohol much more while on zero carb then when not.

Imagine going for a drink without anything on your stomach normally, well in this case you have NOTHING in your system. Your body isn't able to cope with a lot of alcohol. AS such as soon as it starts breaking it down it can throw of your blood sugar levels.

Put simply the liver can make ketones out of alcohol, so technically, when you drink you'll continue to produce ketones and so will remain in ketosis. The problem is ... alcohol converts more easily to ketones than fatty acids, so your liver will use the alchol first, in preference to fat. Thus, when you drink, basically your FAT burning is put on hold until all the alcohol is out of your system.

This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption. This can be VERY dangerous. Especially when combined with a low calorie diet.

Anyoneone on lipotrim should be VERY VERY VERY careful when thinking about alcohol, or coming off LT to go back to alcohol. Take it easy and if allowed try and consume some fat (cheese is a good option if your sticking to zero carbs, though I am not sure what the lipotrim re-feed allows).

Anyway. Hope this in someway helps and clarifys what others have said as it's always handy to have the reasoning why things should be off limits.

BTW. Just to add to the last post, when I have done a ketogenic diet before I have drank vodka. Half a bottle of it. I have also been out drinking vodka and soda mixed with ice (no flavourings)... I like vodka! haha. And not had any problems.

I have NEVER mixed alcohol on a VLC diet. I wouldn't mix alcohol on a VLC diet.

Once your out of ketosis it's no problem. Thats it. No problem at all. Just remember, that if you weren't on a diet and had a few months off drinking then when you go back and start drinking again you would have to take it easy as the alcohol would affect you stronger than your used to. This is more so in the case of coming off a VLC diet. Your body is still adjusting and as such you should ALWAYS take it easy with alcohol.

Not only can the alcohol mess with you in the usual way, but imagine eating a few packs of sugar and the rush you'd get. Well thats what alcohol is doing to you!! Alcohol (the VAST majority) has HUGE ammounts of sugar. Thorwing all the sugar into your system and then the alcohol will confuse your body one hell of a lot!!

Take it easy (maybe have a glass of water in between each drink). Just make sure you do take it easy. Otherwise negative effects can happen.

Hope this in someway helps. The meal mightbe fine but straight out of ketosis into drink aint the best idea.

Back