Bit scared.

I have read lots of threads on here over the last week and I have to say that I am focussed for the weight loss journey. However, I am terrified of putting it back on again after. There seem to be lots of people who return because they gained lots back, and it really worries me.
Firstly because I won't want to be back where I am now, ever!
Secondly because by the time I get down it will have cost me over £500 I guess, so the thought of blowing it has financial implications too.
I am happy to come up the plans slowly, but ideally when I get to goal would I, say a month or so after, be able to eat for example
Porridge or cornflakes for breakfast
A wholemeal ham or chicken sandwich for lunch with a low fat yoghurt.
Maybe a jacket potato, with marg and beans for dinner, or a WW meal with a slice of bread.
I would like to be able to treat myself very rarely with a fish and chips, or a bar of chocolate. But expect to have sensible eating around it too, to make sure it never turns into a binge.
Am i expecting too much? Do I have a life of just chicken and veg, or salads (which i hate)?
Sorry, don't know why I am feeling like this.
If the weight comes on when people really eat badly then fair enough, but does it still creep back if you eat "normally" or sensibly?

Oh also... does your stomach shrink when on CD? So it takes a lot less to fill you up after?

Dont be scared! I am back here because I regained weight, but why did I regain weight?
Because I am greedy and ate far too much of the wrong stuff.
Dead simple!

We went to Florida for 3 weeks over Christmas and New Year and ate out 3 times a day. Instead of choosing healthy options I kicked the a$$ out of having so much choice.
When we got home I knew I needed to cut it down, but I didnt. I carried on eating and snacking, and before I knew it, my clothes didnt fit and I was having to buy stuff in a size 20, which peed me off as I had given all of my size 20 stuff away only a few months previously.

As long as you are sensible, there is no way that weight will go back on. Whilst you're on your journey, have a long hard look at your relationship with food, and try to work out where you have previously gone wrong, then get it fixed for when you are back in the world of food.
That's what I fully intend to do this time. I hate myself right now, and I need to love me cos really, I am quite lovely underneath!

How quickly did the 28lb come back on if you don't mind me asking?
I am planning on just giving myself a window, say 9st 10lb to 10st 5lb or something, and weigh every week just to keep it in check.

Hmm, lemme think. I 100% ss from June 23rd til the middle of August, so around 9 weeks. Then I went back to UK to spend a week with my family and had a few cheats, then 100% for another week, then hubby came home from Iraq for 2 weeks so messed around again then, he went back 1st week of September and I did it again 100% until mid October before giving up (my hair started falling out a lot and my CDC was not very helpful).

So it came on over the past 7 months but I have to say, when i think of the crap I have eaten and the sheer quantities, I am surprised that it was ONLY 28lbs that went back on! I truly did eat a lot.

Thank you for your honesty, that really helps, I appreciate it.
We go on holiday mid August. I will have done 12 weeks SS hopefully, and could be near to my initial goal weight (maybe 7lb over) and while I don't want to SS on my holiday (that would be so cruel) I didn't want to come back weighing a stone and half heavier for 2 weeks of fun.
I will talk to my CDC, but I would find it hard to 810 on those two weeks too, I dont want my reintroduction of food to be scuppered. Bad timing really.
I kind of imagined maybe having one or two cd shakes a day, and a sensible meal. With 1 treat of fish and chips (maybe a OAP portion size), a meal out, and a couple of barbeques over the two week period. I am not bothered about fatty burgers though, I make my own with lean beef mince etc, and i could have a chicken breast with BBQ sauce. I was hoping to be very sensible with a couple of treats.

Hi Tinka,

Firstly, I landed in the same position as you with a holiday straight after the diet last time, and to be honest I found I was so happy with my new figure I didn't want to ruin it. By no means did I deprive myself, I just had a new way of thinking. I gained 5lbs in a fortnight and that was with drinking cocktails EVERY day, big creamy ones at that!

Secondly, my reason for gaining the weight was an abusive ex, even though I was slim, he called me fat and said what I should and shouldn't eat. Being the defiant so and so I am I did the complete opposite and ate anything and everything. I maintained for 6 months and it took another 18 months to gain all my weight back, but believe me I deserved it! x

I think perhaps Jabba and myself got to a comfortable place and didn't follow the maintainance last year hence the reason we are back.
I'm greedy, always have been. This time is the last time i want to lose lots of weight. Once i get to target i'm going to give myself a half stone margin of error and if i go over that margin i'll have to haul the reins back in.
Plus like yourself our finances dictate that if i dont do it properly i have to stop and i certainly cant come back.
Most of all, dont be afraid, you will be absolutely fine. From what i've read on here it seems to be mostly those that dont get to goal that come back again. Those that get to goal want to stay there and work hard to maintain it.

I have the same worry as you as I've lost weight on countless diets and always gained it back. This time I'm trying to approach it differently though. One of my goals is to maintain for 3 months and so as far as I am concerned getting to the right weight for me is not goal - maintaining it for 3 months is. That way I hope to cement some new healthier habits that I can keep forever. I will not, can not, keep doing this to myself and so I'm determined to do this properly and maintain the weight.

My CDC spoke to me about having controls in place for when I start to maintain. Things like not eating bread / pasta at home (only when eating out if you want to), not keep biscuits at home (making them a special treat) and have a smaller helping of whatever I am having as I often help myself to more than I need. Getting used to not eating in front of the telly is another key control as this is where I do most damage!

I think this is great and I'm really going to think about realistic controls that I can live with. This will allow me to enjoy my food and drink when I'm out but be careful when I am at home.

I'm also doing quite a bit of reading to try and improve self esteem and to try and understand why I overeat as I don't think it's greed- it's more to do with boredom or carb craving...

Just because others return doesn't mean that you will do it. We have all been there and put the weight back on, but there are also many people who keep it off and I am determined that this is the last diet I go on. Make it your last one too :):):)

For me it was three things that made me gain back a stone:

1. I had not reached goal when i had to finish due to breaking my wrist.
2. Choice - too much of it and you find yourself saying "this once won't hurt".
3. Once you have a taste for food after SS'ing in some form or other ( i did LL last year) it is darn hard to SS again. You can cut back but it can still creep back on slowly.

Its down to a complete re-education. If there are certain foods you love and could eat a load of then you'd best stay away from them when at goal. Temptation is a b*gger!

Hi

I did CD about 1.5 years ago starting at 15 st 6, got down to 13 stone.

Derailed. Had about a year and a half of eating "normally" and by that I mean takeaways etc and put on all of.... 1 stone

Yes its a stone, but given the amount of rubbish i was eating I'm actually alright with that.

I actually put more weight on post WW than I did post CD.

i lost 8 stone about 12 months ago...it took me 6 months and this was just by analysis of everything that went in my mouth...and then...got complacent! i thought i could go back to 'normal' again which was just insane but at the time, it didnt really occur to me that i just CAN NOT eat those foods!
Some people are naturally skinny, eat like horses and never put on a pound...and lucky them....but i just cant!
The acceptance of that is difficult!
I'm not a girl that does the whole "a little bit of what you fancy does you good"....if that was the case, i wouldnt be doing this now!
I now have identified that i'm actually an all or nothing gal....i have to cut those foods out completely, bread and potatoes being the main ones!
The human body only NEEDS a certain amount of foods....esp carbs...and yet its only when you start weighing food that you realise how much we eat that isnt necessary and its scary!

The silly thing is, i love healthy food! I just made a lot of bad choices....now, im making a GOOD choice, i'm re-evaluating my habits and myself on this journey....!

I also see maintenance as part of the goal...i want to maintain for a year before i get my tummy tuck done!

I think this is very much a case of it being in your hands! KD (Cdc on here) has maintained for 5 years....as have loads of others so it is possible!

I have to stop seeing all the crap i was eating as "normal"! It was very UN-normal and was pushing me into an early grave!

I think if i manage on a 95% good range, then i will be happy! but i'm not going to plan that 5% into my weekly diet...but it will mean that if i'm going out for a special meal on the odd occassion then i will be able to eat more freely....but i will spend a month before and after preparing for it! lol

You are the only one that can control this hun, so dont let yourself get caught out! Work through the plans and do it the right way and you will be fine!

Good luck! its a fun ride! :)

Great thread.. something that really worries me too.
thanks girls for your honest answers it really helps me as its my first time on cd I always panic that after I would eventually put it all back on even though at the moment I could never imagine that x

Hi

I can understand what you're saying about being scared of regaining - it's a common fear. From a practical point of view if you follow the CD steps up you'll gradually be restoring your metabolism to the correct level for your new weight. The steps culminate in finding out at what calorie level you can maintain - those clever chaps at CD have thought of everything :D

If you're worried about regaining from the overeating/bingeing aspect then you have to look beyond the food itself, because what you put into your mouth is not the problem. The problem is what is driving you to want to put those things into your mouth because it's unlikely those feelings will suddenly disapppear just because you reach target.

By planning on having traditional "diet" foods when you reach goal e.g. WW meals or salads which you hate then your head will still be "on a diet" (as opposed to eating those things just because you fancy them whilst being mindful of the calories - big difference). And if you're on a diet - the natural progression is to come "off" it at some point...

Once you've identified the motivations/triggers behind your eating you can work on figuring out how to control them, because it won't help you to have everyone else's answers if you don't know what your own questions are if that makes sense. Take a step back and look at what triggers you to want to overeat e.g. boredom? stress? Maybe keep a diary? etc etc.

Sorry if this all comes across as horribly negative - it's not supposed to be - but as KD says the diet is not to get to goal - it's to get to the starting point :)

As for me, I've only maintained for a couple of months but as someone who used to regain a stone within 2-3 weeks of coming off any and all previous diets 2 months is unheard of - there's hope for us all :D

Best wishes for your CD journey
xx

Back