Blodwny's Broom

Gemstone

Here for the Journey
Winifred, Bronwen and Alwyn Jones lived in the house up on the corner. They always went around together and the two younger girls did pretty much what Winifred, the elder of the three told them to do. Mr Jones went off to work each morning in a buff coloured trench coat with a white muffler around his neck. He rode an old bicycle which looked as though it had seen better days and could be seen above the hedge if you looked out of the window when he was passing by.

Like the rest of his family, Mr Jones was tall and thin but unlike the others he was very pleasant to everyone he met and rarely got involved in the arguments caused by his girls in the area. Everyone liked and respected Mr Jones, almost as much as they disliked his wife.

Looking back I think everyone was a little intimidated by Blodwyn Jones. She always fiercely defended her girls whether they were right or wrong and had no problem whatsoever chasing those who offended her or her family in any way from her garden with a broom.

When the invitation came to Winifred’s birthday party, I was at a loss to know what to do. Should I politely decline the offer and risk offending the Jones family or should I accept and walk into the lion’s den? I decided that I would have to go, although the thought of entering THAT house with all its pitfalls was terrifying!

On the day of the party I arrived complete with card and birthday present. I was under instruction to mind my Ps and Qs at this party and be nice to the Jones girls whatever they did.

The birthday tea went well and there were no incidents. During the games Mr Jones operated the old gramophone, taking the needle up as the parcel went round while Mrs Jones made sure her girls all got presents at the end. “Musical chairs” was the next game and I was out in the first round. Sitting and watching the game I realised there would only be one outcome – Winifred would of course win.

With another prize to her name Winifred announced that the next game would be “musical bumps”. As everyone got ready to dance around and sit down quickly when the music stopped, Winifred’s eyes rested on me. She gave me that triumphant look I have seen many times before. I held my breath not daring to look at her as she said,

“Perhaps Gemma’s had enough energetic games for one day. She might want to sit and eat another plate of food”.

The laughter echoed around the room and I really struggled with my resolve not to say anything to upset Winifred on her Birthday..........

As I ran from the garden with Mrs Jones’ broom only inches from my back and a smile on my face I heard Mr Jones calling,

“Blodwyn, I'm sure young Gemma didn't mean to upset Winifred. Come inside and light the candles”

© July 2008

Last edited:
Gem :)

You write so eloquently and with such touching emotion that I'm sure many of us can relate to about our childhood.

Thank you so much.

Lacey xx :)

Winifred was a spoilt little brat, her sisters did as they were told and her mother was a total nightmare who thought her kids could do no wrong. I was terrified of Blodwyn but could not stop myself answering Winifred's jibes, even if it did mean dodging the broom. Even Blodwyn's poor old husband (who was a really gentle, lovely man) was afraid to get on the wrong side of Blodwyn (or by default, Winifred). Perhaps he'd had a broom experience too! x

I really hate those parents who think their kids can do no wrong. Mine were the opposite, me and my brother could do no right! Ha ha

Were you terribly naughty? I think I know the answer to that from a story you told on one of your threads about condoms on the washing line! I used to call my youngest two "PIC" short for partners in crime! I will write a story about the cheap tin of quality street I hid for Christmas one day. x

Oooh chocolate! MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nah we weren't THAT bad, just misunderstood!

My older sister was little miss perfect and used to go out of her way to make us look like we were behind EVERYTHING even remotely mischievious! We spent a lot of time being grounded but that was ok cus Bro had Lego! And a friend that would buy us sweets!

Sounds like you weren't quite as good as you remember. How did the friends get the sweets to you?

There was a canopy type thing over the front door which was directly under Bro's bedroom window. He would throw the sweets up on the canopy and we'd use the ladder from Bro's cabin bed to get down there to retrieve them!

And I wonder why I am now a regular on a weight loss forum! Ha ha

Oooo.... Naughty Taz and naught bro! Still they do say necessity is the mother of invention and your were both SO resourceful. Your mum would've gone spare if she'd known what you were up to. Did she ever find out?

They once heard the bag of sweets land on the canopy and we made out that we knew nothing about it and he must have felt sorry for us!

Did they buy the excuse or did they smell a rat?

I think they were a little dubious! I since fessed up to it though, the crimes that seem so big when you are young seem more like scampishness when you are older!

I feel sorry for my parents really, it must have been hard for them sometimes to punish us for the things we done without laughing!

As a mum with a wicked sense of humour I know exactly what you mean. Remind me to write that story about the tin of chocs x

Taz's mum was a youth worker and used them to show how to use so Taz and her brother pegged them on the line when a workman was there. Bad Tazzy!!!! x

Back