Blood doners, a question

As daunting as it was to be diagnosed with breast cancer at the start of this year, I was absolutely devastated to get letters from both the Blood Donor Service and the Anthony Nolan Bone Marrow Trust advising that they would necessarily have to remove me from their lists :cry:
I can understand their reasons but none-the-less it really bothered me.
I'd always said to anyone who'd listen that when I pop off, 'they' could take any bits & pieces they can make use of for others - I haven't asked but now suspect that I might be ineligible for spare part donation too! :wave_cry:

As daunting as it was to be diagnosed with breast cancer at the start of this year, I was absolutely devastated to get letters from both the Blood Donor Service and the Anthony Nolan Bone Marrow Trust advising that they would necessarily have to remove me from their lists :cry:
I'd always said to anyone who'd listen that when I pop off, 'they' could take any bits & pieces they can make use of for others - I haven't asked but now suspect that I might be ineligible for spare part donation too! :wave_cry:

Oh I do hope not as I have donated all my working bits and like you would be very upset if that is the case.

I can see why though.

How are you doing Minimunchkins? I think of you often. hugs xxx

I think it depends on the circumstances, but I was under the impression that if you've had radiation then you can't donate your organs. Don't quote me on that though!

I find it particularly odd that people who are gay cannot donate blood! I understand the risk of things like HIV & whatnot, but it seems a bit much.. Couldn't they request a health check before being allowed to donate? It was in the news a while back that they might let gay men donate, but only if they've not had anal sex for 10 years!!

I love donating.. My last donation took about 12 minutes! I was a record breaker. Lol.

My younger brother isn't allowed to donate any more because he has epilepsy & is on medication for it :( Not sure if my OH can donate.. He had surgery years ago on his hip, but I've no idea if he needed a transfusion or anything. Not really sure on the rules about that.

You can't give blood if you received had a transfusion since 1980, if it was before that it's OK.

I
I find it particularly odd that people who are gay cannot donate blood! I understand the risk of things like HIV & whatnot, but it seems a bit much.. Couldn't they request a health check before being allowed to donate? It was in the news a while back that they might let gay men donate, but only if they've not had anal sex for 10 years!!

The thing about HIV is it can take time to show since infection so despite screening blood they can't guarantee the risk of HIV is eliminated. For that reason if there is any risk at all you could be infected you cannot donate. The same rule applies to eg drug users or anyone who may have been in contact with needles that could carry HIV, hepatitis etc. Its the same with me - Its highly, highly unlikely I have any trace of CJD in me! But because I received a transfusion since 1980 I am struck off to rule out the risk :(

PS I am also on meds for epilepsy, so double-strike :D

I give blood whenever I can... is sooo easy and the worst bit is the finger prick test, hehe, the needle in arm doesn't hurt apart from a scratch, I went before WI once but didn't work as drank about 3 glasses of squash afterwards, hehe xx

You can't give blood if you received had a transfusion since 1980, if it was before that it's OK.

I'm not sure if he needed a blood transfusion - I'm not sure if he knows, is there a way to find out? It was definitely after 1980, so he might not be allowed :S

I see what you mean about the HIV thing, but I think there should be something they can do for gay men. I mean, there's just as much a possibility that a straight woman could have HIV nowadays. I'm torn on the debate tbh, I can see both sides.

That really sucks you have epilepsy too :( My brother was only recently diagnosed.. He's still getting to terms with it (I think he's been diagnosed for about 3 years now! He's 21)

As for the over 65 thing.. It was interesting to read other peoples' views on why you can't donate. I didn't know why.. I just know it's on the blood donation website that you can't start after a certain age, but you can carry on if you're already donating. Weird!

Oh I do hope not as I have donated all my working bits and like you would be very upset if that is the case.

I can see why though.

How are you doing Minimunchkins? I think of you often. hugs xxx

Hi Sue - ditto for you & your recent trial & trubulations until you got the good news.

I'm really good thanks - sailed through chemo ( just 2 days off each cycle to rest) & have had 11 out of 23 daily zaps of radio at Cheltenham. Only side effect so far is a numb bum from having to drive there & back every day :)

I'll ask my oncologist bout donations etc, at my next review so will let you know.

Take care lovely lady x

So pleased you are doing well.........

How many more rads. sessions do you have.
I found that a walk in the park after chemo.

hugs, big hugs xxxx

You say that...but I bet if they took away the biscuits people would be far less inclined to donate hehe.

L0L!! Well perhaps the SW ones.............

I'm not sure if he needed a blood transfusion - I'm not sure if he knows, is there a way to find out? It was definitely after 1980, so he might not be allowed :S

I think they say if you have had or "think you might have" - so basically if you're not sure, you can't give blood.

Back