Blood pressure gone a lot up since starting LL?

PurpleButterfly

16lb to go!
Hey all,

My blood pressure was 116/70 before I started LL. I gave blood last week so I guess they looked at it then, didn't say anything though. I had it read yesterday and it was 136/89. I know it's still in the range of normal but I'm still worried about it going up by 20 points? (pulse rate also up)
There's only one thing I can think of that fits, and this is where I need you guys to say if it's plausible..
Last week I was COLD. I mean freezing. Unless I was out and about walking or active, but even then I would just be normal when wrapped up to the nines. This week I have been back to normal temperature.. I mentioned that I'd stopped feeling cold to LLC, and she seemed to think it was odd..

Also I notice that when I'm warmer everywhere, I stop being able to feel my pulse without putting fingers on pulse points, and it feels slower when I do..

Could it be that my heart rate has increased to compensate for my coldness, and restore me to a normal body temperature??

Should I be worried about it going up that much?

I honestly don't know, maybe you could have your bp checks again in a week or two?

Mine has gone the other way - I was at the top end of normal, now near the low end of normal.

Mmm, I spoke to senior LLC (I have junior LLC normally) on the phone about it yesterday, and she said it was normal for blood pressure to go down on LL. She also said I should go get it done at the GP's next time (not the chemist) to rule out unfamiliar settings being a cause. And that I should get it checked out by the nurse if I was worried (which I may well do).

Hi
My Blood Pressure has gone down from high 145/95 to normal 120/80 after 3 weeks on LL
Cheers
James

PB its called white coat syndrome was you relaxed and non stressed, get a BP monitor and do it at home, you will find its a lot less, i have the same problem as you mine shot up when i get it checked due to anxiety.

But at home im normal. there could be a number of factors so do it at home

No you should not be worried, its not high its normal

But Huseyin, if it was white coat syndrome then it would be higher both times. The first time it was done by a nurse. The second at a chemists where it should be less stressful?

True PB, however it depends on your state of mind at the time and if you was not relaxed, if you just walked in and they didnt let you rest for 5 mins before doing it that also has an impact.

With my GP my blood pressure is fine, at a chemist they do it 3 times and the third time its lower

Did they take it more then once? the ought to and you will see it coming down.

Get a BP machine at home i got the Omron M7 from boots its £48 it will give you peace of mind.

Dont worry PB :)

They took it twice at the chemists; first time it was like 143 over 94 or something, so then I rested for 5 mins and they took it again and it was 136/89 (I'd just jumped off my bike, even though it was only like 100yards since departing).. Doctors and stuff like that don't tend to bother me too much though, so that's why I don't think it's white coat syndrome for me.
The only thing is that sometimes when having my bp read, when they inflate the arm band my bp initially shoots up then settles; on the chemists one it was one where it fills it then slowly lets it out whilst taking a reading, the nurses one the armband stays inflated, so they can see it shoot up and go back down.. But, being as though they did it twice at the chemists and the second time I was trying consciously to relax, taking deep breaths etc, I don't think that's it either. I had just come from meeting so it could've been the excitement of the WI I suppose!
But I am going to go to the nurse and get it read again, and hopefully it will be more like the first!

PB I'm the same my first BP reading was 120/70 and the last one was 128/94.
I spoke to LLC and she said it was ok and I haven't heard from LL itself as all medical checks go to head office.
I have another BP check this week so I will let you know the outcome.

forgot to say that 128/94 was the lower reading taken after ten minutes of the first which was 130/96.

They took it twice at the chemists; first time it was like 143 over 94 or something, so then I rested for 5 mins and they took it again and it was 136/89 (I'd just jumped off my bike, even though it was only like 100yards since departing).. Doctors and stuff like that don't tend to bother me too much though, so that's why I don't think it's white coat syndrome for me.
The only thing is that sometimes when having my bp read, when they inflate the arm band my bp initially shoots up then settles; on the chemists one it was one where it fills it then slowly lets it out whilst taking a reading, the nurses one the armband stays inflated, so they can see it shoot up and go back down.. But, being as though they did it twice at the chemists and the second time I was trying consciously to relax, taking deep breaths etc, I don't think that's it either. I had just come from meeting so it could've been the excitement of the WI I suppose!
But I am going to go to the nurse and get it read again, and hopefully it will be more like the first!

The problem was the bike, when i went to Lloyds i told them i had been exercising, they suggested i wait an hour at least after it. No wonder your BP was up you heart was still pumping.

Still if it gives you peace of mind go to the nurse.

I know the real reason that pulse was going ;)

I have been told by my LLC I cannot give blood while on a vlcd. I wonder whether this had anything to do with it?

lol, I didn't ask LLC and they didn't ask at blood donating place.. I'm still alive! @D

Yes Giving blood raises your BP thats whay you cannot drive, you have less blood so the heart works harder...

Also when you rode the bike your body shot adrenaline into your system, it dont matter if it was 100 yards its enough to release th chemical, when that happens BP is up for a good 40 minutes.

noooooow, stop worrying that pretty head of yours Ellie

Back