blueberry muffins

Amanda105

Silver Member
Hiya....

Before my LT journey I was making low fat low sugar blueberry muffins for breakfast....

Well I'm trying to find a recipe for low fat, low sugar, low carb, high fibre blueberry muffins... Yum lol

So... I am thinking substitute the normal flour for some coconut flour (high fibre) and part something else, like rice flour... Any ideas or does anyone know if that would work... I'm not a chef and never used any flour but plain or self raising so don't know how the other flours work lol if u know whatni mean...

If not I will get some and cook some and trial and error will have to be the way... I have about a month till I'm eating breakfast so no rush really

Thanks molly, that's really helpful, I'd read I couldn't substitute all the flour for coconut flour, so will try that first...

Hi Amanda - in the dietfreedom Nigel Denby books I believe they do muffins with ground almonds - obviously not low fat, but on the Gi\GL, fat is a bit more relaxed - I haven't tried the muffins but there is a recipe for ginger biscuits that are gorgeous! If you'd like the muffin recipe I'll dig it out for you.
Hope things are going well

Kate

Thanks Kate that would be great xx

Hi Amanda - as I said I've not tried them and they are certainly not low fat, but they are low GL:

25g olive oil
2 eggs
100g ground almonds
2 tbsp blueberries
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp Sweet Freedom (this is a sweetner approved on the GL. Agave syrup is good too - both available from Tesco I think, and agave is at ASDA too. Or fructose, I guess, not sure how much...)

-whisk oil, sweetner and eggs together.
-add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
-add blueberries and mix gently.
-put into individual ramekins and microwave for 1-2 mins, depending on size of ramekin and strength of microwave. Or put into non-stick muffin tin and bake at 190C for about 15 mins. Too long makes them rubbery, apparently. They should be just springy on top.

Hope they work - let me know and I might get round to giving them a go too!

Kate

Kate, have you the recipe for the ginger biscuits. I just love ginger biscuits so it would be nice to try a GL friendly recipe.

Hi Molly - no problem, here it is:

Ginger and Pecan Cookies
1 tsp baking powder (it says gluten free, but I used normal)
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
200g ground almonds
30g chopped pecans (I used mixed nuts instead)
50g oil (it suggests either olive oil - I tried a batch with olive oil and hated them - or rapeseed oil - much better I think as it does not have such a strong taste)
160g agave syrup or Sweetfreedom syrup.

-Preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
-Sift baking powder and ginger into bowl.
-Add almonds+ pecans, mix. Make a well in the middle.
-Pour in the oil and syrup, and mix with a wooden spoon until mixture comes together.
-Take dessert spoon sized amounts, roll into ball, then flatten and put onto tray.
-Bake for 10-12 minutes till golden.

Enjoy! I froze a few then took one out to defrost when I wanted one - saved me eating them all at once!

Kate

Thks Kate. I will try those. Good tip to know they can be frozen too as this will keep tempation out of the way.

Thanks Kate for both of those, I will be trying them soon, will let you know. Xx

Back